Networking Help

kbSU89

I know this may have been a discussion before, so if you know the link send it to me, so you won't have to answer again :tup:

1st Question: I want to setup up some type of networking in my home to get my home business started. Basically I would like to have at least three computers networked so that I can have files on each one of them, but access them from any computer and able to print to one printer. If things work out according to my plan I will have databases stored and websites stored.

What kind of equipment would I need?

2nd Question: I posed this before about databases, but I left out a question. What is the going rate for customizing a database? I will basically use a software that I am familiar with and if the customer does not have it on their computer I will install it. I want to start with a below market price, just to get my business started, but I also don't want to charge so cheap that I don't see somewhat of a profit.

3rd. Send some business my way :wavey: :hat:

89comSUgrad said:
I know this may have been a discussion before, so if you know the link send it to me, so you won't have to answer again :tup:

1st Question: I want to setup up some type of networking in my home to get my home business started. Basically I would like to have at least three computers networked so that I can have files on each one of them, but access them from any computer and able to print to one printer. If things work out according to my plan I will have databases stored and websites stored.

What kind of equipment would I need?

Basically, Dell, IBM, Apple and Compaq all have pre-packaged systems for the small- to intermediate-sized office. Dell, in particular, would have a system comprised of one 'master' workstation, usually with a 90-100 gig hard-drive, and two or three 'slaves' with 40-50 gig hard-drives. The Dell package includes layout diagrams and the necessary cabling. And setting up your printer directory is fairly easy........

But some of the other SWACPage 'techies' may have some other ideas......

Question 1: Buy a linksys router/switch/wap (wireless access point) this is the heart of your home network.

Since you did not give enough details about what type of business, your question 2 cannot be answer.ed I would suggest that ask the dba at your job about your question 2.

pv_symbiotic said:
Question 1: Buy a linksys router/switch/wap (wireless access point) this is the heart of your home network.

Since you did not give enough details about what type of business, your question 2 cannot be answer.ed I would suggest that ask the dba at your job about your question 2.

We don't have a dba at my job, we have group of people call application developers; however I am not in that group, but since I train all personnel on Microsoft Applications, they call me to create a database for them that I don't get paid extra for :angry: Of course if I refuse to create it, it will get back that I am not performing the best customer service.

Simply what I want my business to do is to create a database for anyone that does manual tasks. The tasks could be as simple as data entry on whatever they are manually doing.
Let me give you an example of what kind of database I created.

With a church w/children's ministries that come in on Sunday's, parents have to manually sign them in and they both receive a matching tag. The tags get lost, some numbers are duplicates, and the crowd is over 200.

The system will have a drop down list with a unique identifier representing each household and the # of children they have. When they come in the unique identifer will be verified/confirmed, will show children matched to them, when present, a tag prints out with vital information. Since everyone is in the system, reports can be printed out, grouped by grade level.

Does this make since to all of you? So with that, what kind of price would a dba charge (I am not a certified DBA, but I know how to customize and create simple-complex types of databases)

Let me hear some feedback, I am doing rough draft of things, and I have flyers out know expressing what I can do, and I want to give them a reasonable price.

89comSUgrad said:

What kind of equipment would I need?:wavey: :hat:

Buy a linksys wireless router. If you don't have a wireless card, you may need one for each computer. You can buy a box of cat5e wiring for $19 to $29 and run wires from the back of the router to each computer.

You can also find wireless routers on Ebay for dirt cheap, but they are wireless 102.11b routers. SAMS club has them for $89.00 and it includes a wireless card. You can get your home network up and running for $75 to $150 easily. I have 4 PC, Tivo, and an XBox running off my 4-port wired router.

Many Thanks

I want to personally thank each one you that replied to this post. I have printed out all the information and will try it as soon as my $$ gets right. I may need more advice and help in the near future, and I hope you all can help me

Again thanks for giving me your tech skills.

You don't want to get me started on this. If you do, then we can talk in detail on question number one. I.E. Getting a four port router, get an 8 port switch, and a proxy server w/ software. With those three basic components you can do webhosting (small time) and networking, as well. BASICALLY.

Number 2. ARE YOU CRAZY??? The experience you can get by being a DBA for a company are limitless. A average DBA can easily make $75K+ Ask ours. Our company has only one DBA for our section and when he is on vacation, everybody over their feel it. I would do it. Get some contacts because your company have some type of support contract with the database vendor. I assume access or SQL server since you said Microsoft.
I would learn that stuff, get the experience, and find a new job as a DBA. Make Money :D:D:D:D:D:D

Question 3: Sorry, I dont have any business for you... :(

A note on the printer: you can hook it up to one computer, probably the one you'll use the most. Then share the printer with your other computers on the network by selecting the "Sharing" option on your printer in the "Printers" folder. You'll need to put the printer driver on each computer, but they should be able to see the printer from the host pc.

Also, get at least a router. That way you have at least 4 ports (or wireless connection if you choose) plus access to the Internet through a dedicated firewall. A switch will get you more ports, but not a firewall.

docmump said:
You don't want to get me started on this. If you do, then we can talk in detail on question number one. I.E. Getting a four port router, get an 8 port switch, and a proxy server w/ software. With those three basic components you can do webhosting (small time) and networking, as well. BASICALLY.

Number 2. ARE YOU CRAZY??? The experience you can get by being a DBA for a company are limitless. A average DBA can easily make $75K+ Ask ours. Our company has only one DBA for our section and when he is on vacation, everybody over their feel it. I would do it. Get some contacts because your company have some type of support contract with the database vendor. I assume access or SQL server since you said Microsoft.
I would learn that stuff, get the experience, and find a new job as a DBA. Make Money :D:D:D:D:D:D

Question 3: Sorry, I dont have any business for you... :(

Doc
I worked for the govt. The applications group got their feathers ruffled because I created a Database for a user and it got back to them. Working here I don't think I will get paid according to my skills. I have been looking very hard for other employment, but the market is not being nice to me right now :angry: Whatever contacts the group may have, I don't think they will share that information, not because our groups are in conflict with each other, it is so much politics going on. I am very proficient in Access development, so I am learning everything I can and hopefully find something that I want to do.

kevdawg said:
A note on the printer: you can hook it up to one computer, probably the one you'll use the most. Then share the printer with your other computers on the network by selecting the "Sharing" option on your printer in the "Printers" folder. You'll need to put the printer driver on each computer, but they should be able to see the printer from the host pc.

Also, get at least a router. That way you have at least 4 ports (or wireless connection if you choose) plus access to the Internet through a dedicated firewall. A switch will get you more ports, but not a firewall.

This is how my network is set up in my home. We have 2 pcs connected along with a wireless laptop. We also have two printers connected to each pc and the printers are shared.

Back