Netflix continues the trend of only thinking "certain" HBCUs matter with big donation

You can't tell people how to donate their money.

That maybe true but at the same time...

I am so sick of the stereotype that Howard, Spelman and Morehouse are the only HBCUS that are "high achieving".

Every single time it's Howard, Morehouse and Spelman getting the BIG donations and other HBCU alums are right to call out the grift (see below from a PV alum). When you run the remaining $40 million through the UNCF to divide among 35 schools when Morehouse and Spelman directly got $40 mil, you know it was in the same tone as "I donated to BLM. See I care about black people" (and as we know, the UNCF is for PRIVATE HBCUs only)

View: https://twitter.com/MsKKemp/status/1273266145848692738

The money would impact way more students at the public HBCUs.

Over a 1,000 students could go to school for 4 years at Valley or Alcorn AND live on campus with a meal plan with $40 million.

That money will pay for 200 scholarships at Spelman. I'm sure a lot more than 200 students can benefit from that money at Southern, JSU, TxSU, etc.

I don't know why people can't see this for what it is.

Yet (mostly) Spelman alums are trying to use all types of mental gymnastics in justifying it despte the backlash.

That maybe true but at the same time...

Every single time it's Howard, Morehouse and Spelman getting the BIG donations and other HBCU alums are right to call out the grift (see below from a PV alum). When you run the remaining $40 million through the UNCF to divide among 35 schools when Morehouse and Spelman directly got $40 mil, you know it was in the same tone as "I donated to BLM. See I care about black people" (and as we know, the UNCF is for PRIVATE HBCUs only)

View: https://twitter.com/MsKKemp/status/1273266145848692738

I disagree. Ol girl's energy would probably be better served encouraging the 85% of PV's alumni who donated nothing last year. Sometimes it's just a matter of "If you dont give a damn, I dont give a fuck". Why should anyone feel inclined to invest in an institution who's primary stakeholders do not? This is something Ruth Simmons is working on at PV and there has been significant improvement. Alumni giving rates are a major selling point.

Also, no one knows what types of relationships these schools have cultivated with corporate america over the years or why they are always the go to beneficiaries. Have the CEOs been invited to sit on the college's capital campaigns or any other ventures? What is your institution doing to promote themselves to local businesses and national corporations? Figuring out the "why" is the key.

At the end of the day, control what you can.

Over a 1,000 students could go to school for 4 years at Valley or Alcorn AND live on campus with a meal plan with $40 million.

That money will pay for 200 scholarships at Spelman. I'm sure a lot more than 200 students can benefit from that money at Southern, JSU, TxSU, etc.

I don't know why people can't see this for what it is.

Yet (mostly) Spelman alums are trying to use all types of mental gymnastics in justifying it despte the backlash.

The simple answer is...they didnt donate to any of those schools because they didnt want to. Spelman grads really dont have to justify anything.

Back