Netflix’s ‘Burning Sands’ tackles black greek pledging

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
A new movie from Netflix is diving into the world of Black Greek organizations with Burning Sands, a complex and raw look at the pledging process through the eyes of one young man.

Directed by Fruitvale Station (2013) producer, Gerard McMurray, Burning Sands explores the benefits and beauty of fraternity brotherhood, along with the often ugly side of underground hazing.

http://thegrio.com/2017/02/23/grio-...ing-sands-movie-tackles-black-greek-pledging/

they had a movie called that a few years back..it was independent as the comedian Billy Sorrels was in it
another one like that was filed at Paul Quinn in the 90s

I am watching this now. I have a feeling a lot people are going to be pissed off at this movie. In my opinion, this is the most realistic example of both greek and HBCU life I ever seen on film since School Daze. But this is so accurate, it is damn near scary.

Last edited:
I am watching this now. I have a feeling a lot people are going to be pissed off at this movie. In my opinion, this is the most realistic example of both greek and HBCU life I ever seen on film since School Daze. But this is so accurate, it is damn near scary.
they already pissed off

Wasn't Burning Sands based on a couple of real-life hazing deaths? I've read that it was inspired by a 2009 death at Prairie View and the FAMU drum major hazing death after the Florida Classic a few years back.

Back