Negative Recruiting

Blu Panther

The name says it all
how many of your schools have experienced negative recruiting when it comes to the PWCs vs HBCUs?

For instance, I was on another board and folks from the Southland was trying to down a kid because he dropped their school off his list in place of us.

After running my mouth with them, I came to the conclusion:

1) SWAC plays in major classics that are televised nationally, not regionally

2) 40,000 fans looks way better than 6,000 fans every weekend

3) Your greatest and top NFL athletes this past season have been produced by the SWAC.

4) Steve McNair effect - when a brotha from the SWAC blows up, you get major coverage

5) you will get an education and be surrounded by your own

6) you'll probably het a second chance as opposed to the others

The only problem is, esepcially in Texas, is that there are not enough HBCU coaches having head jobs. The kids who could really help you are playing for a white guy who has a different agenda. Is that a problem in your state?

Yep to your last question. For instance, here in Baton Rouge only McKinley, Capitol, Istrouma, Glen Oaks (last two years), Scotlandville (a new program at a Magnet School) and Southern Lab have Black head coaches. I know of kids from Broadmoor, Catholic, etc that told me they never got any mail from GSU or SU.

But we can't let that deter us! Our coaches read the papers, if the players have a homeboy on your team (from his school or not) see if they know the kid or knows someone that does. Contact them through whatever means necessary.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
MB, the two blue chippers from O.P.Walker that sign with LSU yesterday after committing to Miami earlier might have b/c their H.S. coach is being considered for the runningback coach at LSU. Tyler is a product of O.P. Walker.

LSU still can't recruit dust at St Aug. They been white-balled for a long time there.

Originally posted by BgJag
MB, the two blue chippers from O.P.Walker that sign with LSU yesterday after committing to Miami earlier might have b/c their H.S. coach is being considered for the runningback coach at LSU. Tyler is a product of O.P. Walker.

LSU still can't recruit dust at St Aug. They been white-balled for a long time there.
:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:
LMAO AT Bg....you know they played another high coach like that a year ago Bg...colored people just don't learn. He's still waiting for the assistant job

Blu Panther,

Great analysis. The only thing I would add is that we need to do a better job with our PR. Although sometimes justified, we are our own worst critics. We are probably harder on ourselves than anyone else.

Originally posted by MikeBigg
I know of kids from Broadmoor, Catholic, etc that told me they never got any mail from GSU or SU.

But we can't let that deter us! Our coaches read the papers, if the players have a homeboy on your team (from his school or not) see if they know the kid or knows someone that does. Contact them through whatever means necessary.

A similar situation has occured with a young man from my hometown. A few weeks ago, I asked his mom which schools were looking at him. She named all of the Southland Conference Schools, Tulane, LSU and some other 1-A schools that expressed interest in him but GSU and SU were not included. She also said both of them were very disappointed that they had not heard from either GSU or SU as he had really enjoyed the last few Bayou Classics. Well, luckily, a homeboy that plays for GSU played the part of Magnum P.I., and found out that GSU had been sending him letters since he was a junior but "somehow" he never received the letters from his high school coach. (It just so happens that his high school coach's alma mater is really wanting him to play there). A visit was set up for yesterday and he is at GSU right now, enjoying himself. I was also told that his high school coach told him before he left, "dont go up there and let those people put anything in your head."

What happened to the alumni of HBCU's that used to make sure that the kids in their hometowns knew that their schools were interested in them? I just can't believe coaches would put trust in some of these high school coaches to "deliver" these letters. As I've said before, Im not a Grambling graduate but when I heard that the kid from my hometown had a visit setup, I was prepared to take a day off from work and bring him to Grambling myself.

Gramfan, holding letters is a common practice for many of our highschool coaches. A coach was fired in our area and he left letters in his desk that were five years old. Maybe the postal Inspectors need to look into letters not being delivered.

You all wouldn't believe the backlash that Mike Woods received from the folk around Broadmoor when it became obvious that he was gonna sign to play baseball at SU instead of going to LSU.

First they tried to putdown the baseball at SU and the SWAC, then they tried to dangle football at him (Mike really was a legit college receiver and defensive back---probably would have been drafted) then they tried to criticize his dad for not being open-minded (Dad played, graduated, volunteered coaching when Mike was young, mentored players, teaches Math at SU, and uses his position at Dow to recruit engineers from SU). I always knew Mike Sr was a class guy, but when he showed them that he loved is child and his alma mater...

The beauty of it all is that Senior's decision has proven to be the right decision. I'm so glad that Mike was able to whip Skip Bertman's azz before he signed as a first round pick. After it was obvious that Mike was leaning to SU, Bertman started making comments that he was "overrated".

Typical!!!!

it's rough. In areas where alumni are not present and the HS coaches are the dogs, you got to kill folks just to get a kids address.

We just need to get kids to PV. The kids we bring leave impressed as always. Damn HS coaches in Texas try their best to prevent that.

Students just passed an athletic fee and once it goes through the legislature things will really be bright around here.

I had a simarlar inccident happen to me at one of the local pubs one nite. This lady was having a drink and we stared talking about football and the fact that SU was going to play tulane for the first.
From there the conversation led to her son who played at one of the local schools here.It just so happens that she was a big SU fan and she mention that SU had not contacted her son to attend there.
I asked her what schools have she mention that GSU had sent a letter but nobody had came by or called.After talking to her in length I could see she was really upset that SU hadn't call so I told her look if GSU,JSU or any of the top schools at the HBCU'S have interest in him thats great and even though her dreams may bre for him to go to SU he's still wold be doing great and that it maybe that pete didn't really have a need for his position.
Still she was real upset at SU so I asked her did LSU or Tulane call said no I then asked her why wasn't she that upset with them(because she had compare su to lsu recruiting)she couldn't explain.
One that goes to show how we put extraordinary pressure on ourselves .
Secondly gramfan its been a many times kids and their parents say that SU didn't recruit them but Im here to tell you alot of them just plain ole fashion lie and they wil rasie all kinds of hell with us but let a PWC'S turn up their nose to them and they'll jst thank them for the oppurtunity.

a coach on gram staff told me this isht is getting out of control. he said these black colleges are going to have to show up in person. two of the worst are evangle and west monroe and now i'm starting to hear redemptorist is holding back isht from some kids.

Sometimes these coaches feel that they do not need to recruit the local guys. Some of the kids feel that If you are not making the effort to contact me, why take chance. I'm going to a school where the coach showed some interest in me.
This will hurt HBCUs because then you might have kids for other school wondering what's going on?, Why don't more local guys stay at the home school.

Mabye the coaches should point out the fact that some of best in the NFL got their start at a HBCUs.

Originally posted by Psub
Sometimes these coaches feel that they do not need to recruit the local guys. Some of the kids feel that If you are not making the effort to contact me, why take chance. I'm going to a school where the coach showed some interest in me.
This will hurt HBCUs because then you might have kids for other school wondering what's going on?, Why don't more local guys stay at the home school.

Mabye the coaches should point out the fact that some of best in the NFL got their start at a HBCUs.

Man these kids know all that,I mean who doesn't know JERY RICE,ANENAS WILLIAMS,JIMMY SMITH,STEVE McNAIR ETC. the problem in a nut shell is as always our budget and the effects of a slave mentality where we are expected to go above and beyond the call of duty and the PWC's don't have to because they are precieve as automatically being better.

Which is one of the main reasons that coaches should mention to the kids about HBCUs players who have had/ are haveing great careers in the NFL. Just because you go to the PWCs, it does not make you better.

Originally posted by Psub
Which is one of the main reasons that coaches should mention to the kids about HBCUs players who have had/ are haveing great careers in the NFL. Just because you go to the PWCs, it does not make you better.

Come on bruh believe me nobody in the SWAC is that incompetent and don't u believe it for one min. If any kids say that they don't get info from our schools about the history of its athletic they r full of sh!t
We dog each other out on this board playing the dozens but i'll bet that no one who have been an alum or booster to these school will buy that

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Do you guys really think that by pointing out that we have NFL players matters to most kids? It doesn't and I will explain to you why.

The fact that Jerry and Sweetness and several other players are HBCU grads doesn't matter, becuase for many kids, the goal isn't to be the greatest, it is to make it to the NFL. And if we can all be serious here, we don't put and abundance of players in the NFL anymore. If a kids main goal is making it to the league, he believes that by going to a larger school he will put himself in a position to do that. And on so many levels, he isn't wrong. If you watched the super bowl you saw how many players were from FSU? And believe me having 8 of 11 from FSU goes alot further than having 1 of 11 from MVSU. And when I talk to kids and they tell me that their main goal is to try and make it to the NFL, I can't really get mad at them for that. We always stress that a person should put themselves in thebest position they can to reach whatever goals they have set for themself.

Plus, I think that many of you don't underatnd the dynamics of a football team. When kids play ball, that is their family. They may attend a certain school, but on so many levels they are sooo different from the average black student on that PWC campus. They don't live the same life and don't always deal with the same isses, by virtue of being an athelete. That same feeling of comraderie that many of us feel about our entire campus, they have that same feeling as it relates to their teammates.

As for negative recruiting, it happens. But just like schools do it to us, we do it to them. We are just as guilty of negative recruiting when you tell a player that he will be better off by coming to an HBCU because "we" care about him and "they" only want him for football. And other things of that nature. It is simply selling yourself to a player. You do what you have to do.

Now high school coaches are at fault, and although I know it goes on, it is sad that a coach will try and impede a players progress and reduce his chances to obtain a college schlorship simply because he doesn't like a certain coach or school.

Originally posted by mjl43

Man these kids know all that,I mean who doesn't know JERY RICE,ANENAS WILLIAMS,JIMMY SMITH,STEVE McNAIR ETC. the problem in a nut shell is as always our budget and the effects of a slave mentality where we are expected to go above and beyond the call of duty and the PWC's don't have to because they are precieve as automatically being better.

Thats exactly my point suge

the top kids will go regardless, it's the kids who rather play in a conference the caliber of the Southland that amazes me. The Southland is strong but besides that it has nothing to offer.

As a quarterback, the conference is known to push aside starters for division I transfers.

Now that point I agree with BP. I can always understand a kid that may shun a SWAC school for the SEC, ACC, Big 10, etc. And I understand it greatly when that kid is telling me all he really wants to do is make it to the NFL.

But when kids shun the SWAC/MEAC for schools in some lower 1-A conferences, and 1-AA conferences I don't understand at that point. Because the Southland schools aren't NFL hotbeds.........

Originally posted by mjl43

AT THE RISK OF SOUNDING REDUNDANT....

Back