Nathan Haymer hired at TxSU

Well yeah.... and the whispers on them Baton Rouge Streets are y’all wanted Simmons as bd but because he didn’t have his masters at the time Taylor got the promotion by default. Like I said in 2-3 years simmons will he band director the alum and current members love him and treat him on a different level than Taylor will ever get.

Not true at all. Absolutely not true. You have no clue to the SU powers that be who are backing Taylor. Popularity means nothing at SU. It’s who is politically tied. You acting like those kids are going to be in the band forever. Most are gone already. As Doc Greggs always said, get your own band if you don’t like it. Ked can shape the band with his own recruits. No different than a football coach.

this coming from your own folks in Baton Rouge. Don’t kill the messenger

It came from Haymer loyalists. If you only knew the deal. Mr. Jackson had major input on who became the director after the Haymer situation. I will leave it at that. Young folks don’t run SU. Including these young Jukebox alums. They ain’t politically connected yet. Simmons don’t have that kind of pull at all at SU with the decision makers and the old head power alums.

Would SU folks would have liked for Jackson to come out of retirement to run the band for a few years to let Taylor & Simmons earn more stripes after Haymer was let go?

Mr J was not wanting to do this. My frat is happily retired. He’s close to Taylor so he’s given his advice to the program. I am sure he’s consulted often by him.

Also Haymer did a interview with the RogersBros a few weeks ago, & said he was ready to get back into the band world, because this past season was boring as hell, & only small bands shined.

Dude has a hell of an ego lol

I'm lobbying for haymer to bama state but Oliver won't let the program go.... but recently I heard your folks down in the gump got freshman in reporting the band for hazing for get this...……….. running laps cause they feet was hurting …. damn hornet just damn lol you can't make this up with ya'll

I'm lobbying for haymer to bama state but Oliver won't let the program go.... but recently I heard your folks down in the gump got freshman in reporting the band for hazing for get this...……….. running laps cause they feet was hurting …. damn hornet just damn lol you can't make this up with ya'll

Kids are soft these days smh. I crabbed in 06...it wasn’t the old days, but we weren’t punks like these 90s and 2000s babies.

I have my own opinions on Oliver & Haymer, but I’ll never down my band in the public.

All I can say is hopefully Dr.O gets us back to the early & mid 2000s MMH

Kids are soft these days smh. I crabbed in 06...it wasn’t the old days, but we weren’t punks like these 90s and 2000s babies.

I have my own opinions on Oliver & Haymer, but I’ll never down my band in the public.

All I can say is hopefully Dr.O gets us back to the early & mid 2000s MMH

no hate, I hope ya''ll get back to at least a 2012 level. Swac isn't the same without a strong Alabama state to get the band community hype for other battles in the swac other than the usual and magic city

It came from Haymer loyalists. If you only knew the deal. Mr. Jackson had major input on who became the director after the Haymer situation. I will leave it at that. Young folks don’t run SU. Including these young Jukebox alums. They ain’t politically connected yet. Simmons don’t have that kind of pull at all at SU with the decision makers and the old head power alums.

Tell 'em again JR!!!! lol

I still say Haymer started hanging out with the wrong individuals that got him in the predicament that he is in now. And with his track record, that should have been a big 'NO-NO', but temptation takes over when those bright lights hit one's eyes. My ex had fallen into the same trap. I think some of that money was spent in Hollywood. IMO, this is why a person needs to be a little older before taking on a tall task. An older and wiser person might have gone away from the bright lights, but a younger person tends to go hog craps over that stuff. When I lived in L.A., Hollywood wasn't a big deal to me, but for every one of me, there were thousands of others who flocked to be amongst the stars. Also, another reason why L.A. has so many homeless individuals. As my aunt would always say, "everybody in L.A. wants to be a star."

Last edited:
One thing I can say about Haymer, faults and all. He was/is legendary to the band world. Even though he is no longer at SU, folks across all social media sites still love to speak his name in great depth. Best wishes to him.

I still say Haymer started hanging out with the wrong individuals that got him in the predicament that he is in now. And with his track record, that should have been a big 'NO-NO', but temptation takes over when those bright lights hit one's eyes. My ex had fallen into the same trap. I think some of that money was spent in Hollywood. IMO, this is why a person needs to be a little older before taking on a tall task. An older and wiser person might have gone away from the bright lights, but a younger person tends to go hog craps over that stuff. When I lived in L.A., Hollywood wasn't a big deal to me, but for every one of me, there were thousands of others who flocked to be amongst the stars. Also, another reason why L.A. has so many homeless individuals. As my aunt would always say, "everybody in L.A. wants to be a star."

Who are the people that Haymer Hung out with that you are referring too?

So what you're saying is the southern folks who chose Haymer to lead the band made a mistake by hiring a young guy who just couldn't handle the responsibilities he was given?
I can buy that and that makes sense.

One thing I can say about Haymer, faults and all. He was/is legendary to the band world. Even though he is no longer at SU, folks across all social media sites still love to speak his name in great depth. Best wishes to him.
Legendary band leader after what? Three years? LOL.

I guess everyone has an opinion and is entitled to just that. Way more to that connection.

Likewise!!! Everyone has and is entitled to their opinion. Relationships at SU can make or break a person. From my understanding, the prior scandal at SU was one of the reasons why Haymer was terminated, basically Haymer got caught in-between the in-fight of two SU big timers. Even though Haymer is long gone from SU, those individuals will always stay in the mix, since they are big donors of SU. But it is still of my opinion that Haymer was way too young for the position.

Last edited:
Likewise!!! Everyone has and is entitled to their opinion. Relationships at SU can make or break a person. From my understanding, the prior scandal at SU was one of the reasons why Haymer was terminated, basically Haymer got caught in between the in-fight of two SU big timers. Even though Haymer is long gone from SU, those individuals will always stay in the mix, since they are are big donors of SU. But it is still of my opinion that Haymer was way too young for position.
I don’t think in 2019 we can base things on age. Aside from Haymer, there are a lot of “older” directors that should be fired based on the overall product of their band programs. I believe head band directors will become younger and younger at the colligate level.

So what you're saying is the southern folks who chose Haymer to lead the band made a mistake by hiring a young guy who just couldn't handle the responsibilities he was given?
I can buy that and that makes sense.

SU is not the only and won't be the last university that have hired unseasoned individuals in key positions.

I don’t think in 2019 we can base things on age. Aside from Haymer, there are a lot of “older” directors that should be fired based on the overall product of their band programs. I believe head band directors will become younger and younger at the colligate level.

Yep I agree. Age isn’t a factor.

SU is not the only and won't be the last university that have hired unseasoned individuals in key positions.
Your bold honesty regarding southern's epic mistake is appreciated. Some of your cohorts aren't as bold regarding this issue.

You might be right as far as younger band directors, but don't be surprised if more FAMU like incidents happens. So for as older band directors, a lot of universities probably could hire a younger person just to put a 'so-called' better product on the field. but they could quite possibly end up with someone who would create more problems than the university desires to handle.

Back