Nathan Haymer hired at TxSU

I don't even know why gib tried with the man still under investigation and possibly getting indicted any day now. The man hasn't even gotten hired at Texas southern and look at the access drama of the band community and obviously the pending investigation to the point Gib had to stop his focus which should be on band camp and the 2019-2020 season too address these "rumors" Haymer got too much baggage right now... I'm not boo hoo'ing with him he was getting over 100 k from southern as head bd and still has 293 k sitting in his personal bank somewhere....
Somewhere like in his momma's pocketbook. LOL.

Folks, Gibson tried to hire him as an arranger. Not an official staff member. But the rumors took off and Gibson allowed it until it blew up in his face and now he has to acknowledge that he was never hired by TxSU administration. I think he was looking for a buzz to excite folks about TxSU band program and help his friend with some cash to arrange and teach the band some tunes. But not hire him as an official assistant band director which needed approval from the TxSU powers that be. But everyone on the internet ran with the story that Haymer was at TxSU and was an official SCHOOL hire. I figured Gibson didn't present that to his bosses. TxSU President seems to be pretty straight laced. So in the end it backfired. I am sure the TxSU administration did not like seeing that out there and then the news comes out about the Feds getting the case didn't help matters. Surely some TxSU official had to have talked to him about how this looks and you need to fix the perception immediately.

Sad situation all the way around. Gibson should be worried about his own job from what I understand. He already wasn't on the most solid ground himself. His heart was in the right place. But his head was not thinking of what his bosses would think if the word got out that it appeared TxSU approved the hire of Haymer. The media in Houston would have run all over with it.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Yeah most of the old guard at Gram were Ques. Greggs use to do gigs for Eddie Rob events. Both were Alphas.

I only asked that question because being a Kappa gets you presidential treatment at TxSU.

The Alpha connection was part of it....

Eddie Rob was very close to the Blake Family from Shreveport. One of them was his family's deacon at New Rocky Valley. Dr. Greggs was raised with Blake family like brothers...they were first cousins. Long family history and admiration. Dr. Greggs would come to church in Grambling a few times out of the year and take the mic and speak on how GSU and SU were bound at the hip per se.....

I have always had a level of respect for Dr. Greggs.

I don't even know why gib tried with the man still under investigation and possibly getting indicted any day now. The man hasn't even gotten hired at Texas southern and look at the access drama of the band community and obviously the pending investigation to the point Gib had to stop his focus which should be on band camp and the 2019-2020 season too address these "rumors" Haymer got too much baggage right now... I'm not boo hoo'ing with him he was getting over 100 k from southern as head bd and still has 293 k sitting in his personal bank somewhere....

You know bruh I believe in second chances because I received one and made the best of it. Yet, Haymer got one also with the SU job and messed it up. The temptation of having access to money is a great temptation. I don't how this will turn out.

Eddie Rob was very close to the Blake Family from Shreveport. One of them was his family's deacon at New Rocky Valley. Dr. Greggs was raised with Blake family like brothers...they were first cousins. Long family history and admiration. Dr. Greggs would come to church in Grambling a few times out of the year and take the mic and speak on how GSU and SU were bound at the hip per se.....

Also, I'm sure when Doc. Greggs was a student at SU, Dean Jones was still there, the father of RWE Jones (aka Prez. to Grambling folks). I'm sure RWE Jones was a few years ahead of Doc. Greggs at SU. We have to remember, HBCUs are just over a 100 years old. SU was founded in 1880, which makes it 139 years old. I think the oldest HBCU is like 150 years old. Black Greek letter organizations were founded even later. My great grandparents are probably the same age of the founders of Black Greek letter organizations. African Americans nationwide are bound at the hips.

He will consult basically just help maybe arrange a few songs but he isn't hired. You can blame the Roger Bros for that. They made a big poster online saying he hired. Hell after that article came out proving him stole money and that TXSU thing all his social medias some how disappeared lol he didn't want that smoke. Lol. Didn't he get caught stealing at a high school too?

Also, I'm sure when Doc. Greggs was a student at SU, Dean Jones was still there, the father of RWE Jones (aka Prez. to Grambling folks). I'm sure RWE Jones was a few years ahead of Doc. Greggs at SU. We have to remember, HBCUs are just over a 100 years old. SU was founded in 1880, which makes it 139 years old. I think the oldest HBCU is like 150 years old. Black Greek letter organizations were founded even later. My great grandparents are probably the same age of the founders of Black Greek letter organizations. African Americans nationwide are bound at the hips.

Bruh that's real.

Charles P. Adams, the founder of GSU, is buried at my church. There are university classes that come visit his grave site.

These were members of my church....Coach Rob, Conrad Hutchison, Prez Jones, Coach Hobdy.........then bring in Dr. Greggs when he visited....Man!!!!

Bruh that's real.

Charles P. Adams, the founder of GSU, is buried at my church. There are university classes that come visit his grave site.

These were members of my church....Coach Rob, Conrad Hutchison, Prez Jones, Coach Hobdy.........then bring in Dr. Greggs when he visited....Man!!!!

I believe Coach Rob and SU's first and only female President Dr. Spikes were high school classmates at McKinley High School in Baton Rouge.

I believe Coach Rob and SU's first and only female President Dr. Spikes were high school classmates at McKinley High School in Baton Rouge.

Could be.

The funniest thing about SU and GSU people is that we have close family members that went to each school. Thanksgiving dinner in NOLA is a crazy day for my family.

Yup Greggs was good people. My grandfather was close friends and frat brothers with he and Eddie Rob.

You know bruh I believe in second chances because I received one and made the best of it. Yet, Haymer got one also with the SU job and messed it up. The temptation of having access to money is a great temptation. I don't how this will turn out.

I'm all for second chances ... this his third chance founders..... Third!!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
For SU band program to be raking in that much money,over his tenured says a lot about the band program. But I am just at a lost for words. He was getting paid, the spot light was on him and the future of the HJB was bright. Why the greed??
New Band Uniforms. New instruments, talks we're being made about building a new band room.
But I will add this. Mr. Taylor has big shoes to fill. He seems like a standup guy.. But something I miss about Haymer was his ability to market SU band and think outside the box, something I feel Taylor does not seem to have, maybe it's me.

For SU band program to be raking in that much money,over his tenured says a lot about the band program. But I am just at a lost for words. He was getting paid, the spot light was on him and the future of the HJB was bright. Why the greed??
New Band Uniforms. New instruments, talks we're being made about building a new band room.
But I will add this. Mr. Taylor has big shoes to fill. He seems like a standup guy.. But something I miss about Haymer was his ability to market SU band and think outside the box, something I feel Taylor does not seem to have, maybe it's me.

Well yeah.... and the whispers on them Baton Rouge Streets are y’all wanted Simmons as bd but because he didn’t have his masters at the time Taylor got the promotion by default. Like I said in 2-3 years simmons will he band director the alum and current members love him and treat him on a different level than Taylor will ever get.

For the Longest I thought Simmons was the man in charge. Until a post on Facebook popped up showing a pic of Taylor with his name and title. I was like wait..... what happed to the short dark guy lol I was so confused! That's the day I learned.

Well yeah.... and the whispers on them Baton Rouge Streets are y’all wanted Simmons as bd but because he didn’t have his masters at the time Taylor got the promotion by default. Like I said in 2-3 years simmons will he band director the alum and current members love him and treat him on a different level than Taylor will ever get.

That is false.

Reactions: JR

At age 26, don't you think Simmons needed a few more years of grooming?

At age 26, don't you think Simmons needed a few more years of grooming?

Y’all were in a tricky situation... Haymer did y’all no favors with the stunt he pulled... Taylor could’ve used a few more years too and Simmons is young but capable... either way somebody had to sink or swim it was Taylor... like I said, let Taylor pull another homecoming 2018 where the band was flat out embarrassed because of poor song choices on his first year and first impression and see if yalls alum who I’m very close with outside this board don’t scream louder for Simmons to be bd.

Last edited:
Would SU folks would have liked for Jackson to come out of retirement to run the band for a few years to let Taylor & Simmons earn more stripes after Haymer was let go?

Also Haymer did a interview with the RogersBros a few weeks ago, & said he was ready to get back into the band world, because this past season was boring as hell, & only small bands shined.

Dude has a hell of an ego lol

Back