My father-in-law's business went south, and my mother-in-law has never worked a day in her life. How can I avoid supporting them?

Olde Hornet

My father-in-law's business went south, and my mother-in-law has never worked a day in her life. How can I avoid supporting them?

My husband and I have been married for 12 years. We have two small kids, and we both work and are doing well financially. We’ve paid off all our student loans, we put down 20% on our mortgage when we purchased our home, we have a great income-to-debt ratio, we’ve already amassed a great 401(k) nest egg and, overall. we’re in a good, comfortable place.

My in-laws, on the other hand, are not faring so well. My father-in-law owned his own business that went south and he’s still trying to revive it, and my mother-in-law has never worked a day in her life, even now with four kids grown and gone. They are an old-school couple where the wife is completely in the dark about the finances and the husband is too proud to share any details.

Married, but says; "How can "I" avoid supporting them? That speaks volumes there. Yes in the article the wife does say "we", but why not ask the question, "how do I tell my husband..."?
I've been married and in a situation where an in-law need some type of financial support and my thought is, you get help one time, but I'm not about to break my bank, because you broke yours.

:lmao:

Back