MP3's

JBX

Ok, what is a decent one to purchase and how can you use it?
My son wants one and I'm not up on how they are exactly used to download music or where he can get music for it besides copying cd's.

JBX said:
Ok, what is a decent one to purchase and how can you use it?
My son wants one and I'm not up on how they are exactly used to download music or where he can get music for it besides copying cd's.

I have one and I bought my 11 year old (10 at the time) daughter one. I use my basically for the gym. She uses hers all the time, mostly on trips and at her basketball games.

We do not download any music over the web. I have 'RIPPED' most of my songs from my existing CDs. She gets hers from her CDs and sometimes friends.

We have a folder on one of our computers called 'MUSIC'. Under 'c:\music', there is a folder for each artist. Under each artist, there is a folder for each album. So this makes it easy to find the music you want. You can easily download the MP3 files from your computer to your MP3 player. Her player has a 64Mg hard-drive and an additional 128MG Secure Digital Card. Both can hold about 40 songs.

I bought our MP3 players at SAMS club last Christmas. I think mine was about $119 and hers $79 with $40 for a 128Mg SD card.

I think they are great for kids because once you buy them a CD, simply convert all songs to MP3, save them on your computer and put the CD on the shelf. This way, they can mix and match their favorite songs and you don't have to worry about the scratched or lost CD.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
My son just bought him one with his own money(worked as a baseball umpire in the spring for t-ball). I took him to Best Buy, Target & Walmart to see what was out there. We first went to Best Buy and he was ready to spend $109 on a 128mg one, I told lets go see what the other stores have. I didn't want him to do a impulse buy but to shop around. We then go to Target and they have one for $119 with 256mg memory, much better price for double the memory of what they had at Best Buy. We then go over to Walmart and start looking, we find one for $87 with 128mg of memory. That price he likes very much because he didn't have to spend over $100 like the other ones were priced and he gets to keep more of his money to spend on other things he wanted. Now he's trying to find places to download music from other than the cd's he has or borrowed from friends. He wanted me to use my card on music match so he can get songs for .99 cents.

Thanks Bruhs for the advice (indirectly). I think I may get one for my son, also. Because there is nothing in the world that annoys me more than his one song playing CD behind! He pops in CD when we're together and I ready my mind to listen to it. He skips around to his track and then POW!!! he's off to another CD. I'm like "man you need an MP3 so you can just have all your favorite songs there together and just let them play." He said "kinda like a mix CD huh??? I just said yeah.

I be back to ask what kind did your children get, specifics, etc.

Fiyah I think he can download songs off of walmart.com for 99 cents too.

Note: You can buy gift certificates on Apple to download music. Its sort of like an electronic gift certificate. You buy it and they give you a KEY/ACCOUNT#. I think you can buy it in $10 increments.

I gave my daughter the option to use some of her allowance money (which is $20 every 2 weeks) to buy her a certificate. She said "NO", she would rather borrow a CD from a friend from school and download the music to the PC or wait until someone bought a CD for her. She has found some site where she can listen to songs ON-DEMAND, but can't download it without paying.

What was really funny was her AAU basketball coach was telling them about a game they were going to have out of town. He was saying they needed to bring pillows, blankets, snacks, etc because sometimes they would have a 3 or 4 hour wait between games. Then he said that they could bring their "WALKMANS". All the 11 and 12 year old girls were like "What's a walkman?" Then he said, MP3 player.

Da_Sperm said:
What was really funny was her AAU basketball coach was telling them about a game they were going to have out of town. He was saying they needed to bring pillows, blankets, snacks, etc because sometimes they would have a 3 or 4 hour wait between games. Then he said that they could bring their "WALKMANS". All the 11 and 12 year old girls were like "What's a walkman?" Then he said, MP3 player.

That is funny! A group of sorors was over at my place when I lived in Houston and a young lady (junior high school age) was there as well. Someone said boombox and she thought that was so funny! She said you meana radio!?!? :)

I was intent on buying one. I got a case of cheapness at the store and bough a Sony Psyche CD player. It is lightweight, and gets me through my workouts, grass cutting, and plane trips. I am still in the market for a mp3 player however. I want the lightest unit w/ the most capacity. The Ipods have impressive storage. The other units seem promising with the sd cards. I am an audiophile of sorts and just can't (won't) re-encode my stuff to lower quality to fit it on a 64 meg unit.

Dirty said:
The Ipods have impressive storage. The other units seem promising with the sd cards. I am an audiophile of sorts and just can't (won't) re-encode my stuff to lower quality to fit it on a 64 meg unit.

Ipod are a little too heavy for workout use, I think. I agree, you do have to give up quality for convience when you convert a file to MP3 format.

Cisco makes this Audio file router thingy that allows you to hook a unit up to your reciever and if you have a network, it could read your MP3 files from your PC and play em back on your home stereo. This is a good idea except for you will drop alot of quality.

Da_Sperm said:
Ipod are a little too heavy for workout use, I think. I agree, you do have to give up quality for convience when you convert a file to MP3 format.

Hmmm...I don't agree with that. I use the iPod when I workout and I don't find it heavy at all. I clip it on the inside of my shorts pocket when I'm running and doing weights. Only time it gets in the way is when I am doing abs and have to lay on my side. It only weight 5.6 oz. and iPod mini is even smaller weighing in at 3.6 oz. My supervisor has the iPod mini and she straps it to her arm when she worksout.

That is what I was really trying to get at. The IPod (I think) is not made for your workout, moe the yard type of device. They have MP3 players that are water resistant that strap on your arms that are geared more for that.

Has Apple develped a replacement battery for the IPod. Last heard, once the battery completely dies out and can't be recharged, you have to buy another MP3 player because they don't make replacement batteries.

Does anyone own an Apple Ipod? I've really been thinking about getting one? Can you find really hard to find songs? How much do the downloads cost? Someone shoot me the 411.

Da_Sperm said:
That is what I was really trying to get at. The IPod (I think) is not made for your workout, moe the yard type of device. They have MP3 players that are water resistant that strap on your arms that are geared more for that.

Has Apple develped a replacement battery for the IPod. Last heard, once the battery completely dies out and can't be recharged, you have to buy another MP3 player because they don't make replacement batteries.

Huh? I'm confused. I said I use it when I workout and I don't find it heavy at all. The iPod mini has a device that allows you to strap it on your arm. I see plenty of people in the gym I use wearing an iPod while they are working out.

No, as far as I know a replaement battery hasn't been developed for the iPod.

NASTYNUPE said:
Does anyone own an Apple Ipod? I've really been thinking about getting one? Can you find really hard to find songs? How much do the downloads cost? Someone shoot me the 411.

I have a 20 GB iPod. You can find a wide selection of tunes on iTunes. It is 99 cents per song.

The iPod will also store your calendar, address book, and word files. I haven't tried to store word files on mine. However, I do have my calendar and address book on it.

Back