Mount Rushmore of HBCU football?

In_The_662

Deeeeep In The Delta.....
Who's on the Mount Rushmore of HBCU football?

Jerry Rice

Walter Payton

Who are the other two?

If we’re counting coaches then it’s Eddie Robinson and Jake Gaither. If it’s players only then Air McNair and Doug Williams.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Way to many for four names. Junious "Buck" Buchanan, Too tall Jones, John Stallworth, Deacon Jones are just examples

It's hard to do ... even when you break it down by coaches and players ...

Hell it might be easier to do coaches than players ...

The only 2 that should definitely be there is Rice and Payton. Hell they're arguably top 5 in NFL history.

No way we could leave out Buck Buchanan. I mean the man has an award named after him. Besides Walton Peyton who else does?

No way we could leave out Buck Buchanan. I mean the man has an award named after him. Besides Walton Peyton who else does?

The FCS award for national freshman of the year is named for Jerry Rice. Award been around since 2011. ND State QB Trey Lance won it in 2019.

There are two versions of the Eddie Robinson award. One goes to an FCS coach and the football writers present another to an FBS coach.

Last edited:
The FCS award for national freshman of the year is named for Jerry Rice. Award been around since 2011. ND State QB Trey Lance won it in 2019.

There are two versions of the Eddie Robinson award. One goes to an FCS coach and the football writers present another to an FBS coach.
I forgot about Rice award.

Just want to throw a Southern U guy out there in Mel Blount! He has a rule in the NFL placed for him called The Mel Blount because he was so physical with WR's. Too many great players and coaches to debate on this.

People tend to overlook or gloss over the fact that at one time Ace Mumford had the 3rd most wins of all coaches, not just HBCU coaches (behind Pop Warner and Alonzo Stagg). Forget or not know Southern U. had to make accommodations for white patrons when he was at the helm, in a segregated society; or folks like Bear Bryant and Frank Broyles would come to B.R. to discuss strategy with him; or the famous line that Mumford would tell opposing coaches what he was going to run and dare them to stop it. Or the 38 games unbeaten streak; Or the first HBCU coach to play against a PWI and proceed to beat them in the Fruit Bowl; Or the 40+ All Americans, or 6 BCNC or 13 SWAC Championships. I would say like many others, there is one hell of an argument for him.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back