Mosquitoes might be humanity’s greatest foe. Should we get rid of them?

Olde Hornet

The pesky insect is the deadliest animal in human history.

Over the course of 200,000 years, 108 billion people have lived on Earth. And nearly half, 52 billion, have been killed by mosquitoes. The impact of this disastrous insect has shaped civilization far beyond our expectations, according to historian Timothy C. Winegard, whose new book, The Mosquito: A Human History of Our Deadliest Predator, explores this lethal insect.

Since the dinosaur era, the incredibly resilient mosquito has been a carrier of malaria, yellow fever, Zika, and a slew of other diseases that have ravaged human populations, with people in Africa bearing the greatest tolls. In The Mosquito, Winegard’s fifth book, he explores not only the disastrous consequences of mosquitoes on a biological level but also the insects’ social impact, including how they have affected GDP by taking millions of people out of the workforce and steered the course of history when used as a biological weapon in wartime.

I talked to Winegard, who currently teaches history and political science at Colorado Mesa University, about what makes mosquitoes “masters of evolutionary adaptation,” if they should be eradicated, and what kind of function — if any — they serve. I also asked him the age-old question of how to avoid mosquito bites (the key, he says, has to do with our feet).

Our conversation has been condensed and edited for clarity.

Me to....my parent's home has standing water and she can't go outside because of the mosquitoes.

I was in Jamaica last year and when I came back to the states, had to go to the doctor. I found out that they are attracted more to humans that have certain type of acid in their system. I sometimes have elevated uric acid, which makes me one of those candidates that they disproportionately harass.

I was in Jamaica last year and when I came back to the states, had to go to the doctor. I found out that they are attracted more to humans that have certain type of acid in their system. I sometimes have elevated uric acid, which makes me one of those candidates that they disproportionately harass.

Interesting.

A fellow Allopurinol fellow?

How do you afford Colchicine?

I don't take it very often. Also, my insurance cover it. The last time I bought some it was only $20.00. I end up throwing a lot of it away because I never take all of it and watch expiration dates. My doctor doesn't like it and will only allow me to take 3 pills when I have the problem ( two first dose and 1, 2 hours later). It is his contention that it is harmful and not really good for human consumption.

I don't take it very often. Also, my insurance cover it. The last time I bought some it was only $20.00. I end up throwing a lot of it away because I never take all of it and watch expiration dates. My doctor doesn't like it and will only allow me to take 3 pills when I have the problem ( two first dose and 1, 2 hours later). It is his contention that it is harmful and not really good for human consumption.
It is harmful. It is a poison actually (made from some type of shellfish) which is why the max dosage is so small.....0.6mg if I remember correctly. I would actually prefer a shot for a severe episode. The Colchicine price skyrocketed when Obama required all companies who manufactured do more rigorous testing to make sue it was safe for human consumption. Only one company did and they got an exclusive to distribute and jacked up the prices.

It is harmful. It is a poison actually (made from some type of shellfish) which is why the max dosage is so small.....0.6mg if I remember correctly. I would actually prefer a shot for a severe episode. The Colchicine price skyrocketed when Obama required all companies who manufactured do more rigorous testing to make sue it was safe for human consumption. Only one company did and they got an exclusive to distribute and jacked up the prices.

Poisonous is definitely the word my doctor used to me. I didn't realize there was controversy with the pricing though. I guess I have just been fortunate.

Poisonous is definitely the word my doctor used to me. I didn't realize there was controversy with the pricing though. I guess I have just been fortunate.
Yes, the price skyrocketed. I use to be able to purchase it for 4 bucks for 30 day supply at Walmart's Pharmacy before the Obama administration required manufacturers make sure it is safe. I have no problem wit the mandate I have a problem with greed.

Anyway, back to getting rid of mosquitoes..........LOL

In East Georgia (a few locations) they left me alone. In North Georgia I needed Off. I usually used Deep Woods Off.

I put up a camera on the side of my house a couple of weeks ago. It took me every bit of 15 minutes. By the time complete, I was running for cover and had two bad bites. I should have at least put on a long sleeve shirt and suffered the consequences. It's my understanding early in the morning and late in the evenings are the worse times to do work outside if you're trying to avoid them.

In simple layman terms, you are saying that, "your blood tastes like kool-aid," to them (what my folks often say back home).

But where are them Marines at or anyone one that spent time in Paris Island, South Carolina? I call you all out because y'all know a little something about sand fleas. They are not harmful like mosquitoes (unless you mess up a scratch bite) but they are something serious. They only come up in the morning or evening dawn. They feel like 1000 mosquitoes all on you. The cadets in training have learned to just let them bite. They live in the sand and when you walk on them, that is when they come up. How do I know? In High School I went to a JROTC camp there and didn't think I was gonna make it. The DI marched us to a spot after eating breakfast and made us stand at attention for a long time. In my mind, I was like, "these mosquitos are biting kinda hard this morning. As I began to scratch, I noticed my fellow JROTC mates were doing the same, and then were all scratching, and then we realized it was setup and these were not Mosquitos but infamous Parris Island Sand Fleas. That D.I., even though he was hollering, he knew what he was doing. Probably laughed about it with the other DIs. The PT was no problem. The hollering from Drill Instructors were joke, I mean, I've had tougher coaches. But them Sand Fleas...…...I had bumps all over my arm when I got back home. Look it up if you all don't believe me.

One more thing about mosquitoes @JROCK . If you ever run out of repellant, try peppermint oil. Not expensive at al. Seriously, they won't with peppermint....

Last edited:
In East Georgia (a few locations) they left me alone. In North Georgia I needed Off. I usually used Deep Woods Off.

Now that is interesting, I wonder what accounts for that.

I consider mosquitoes one my arch nemesis.

If you can, avoid scratching after being bitten. Them rascals release a chemical within you while probing your skin to make it easier for them to suck your blood. When you scratch, it agitates that chemical and prolongs the itching. If any of you recall, there may have been a time when the itching stopped, but you scratched that bite again and the itching started up again. That is the left over chemical from the bite causing that itching.

Because they can carry deadly disease, West Nile Virus & St. Lou Encephalitis, when I get bitten around my home I'm quick to dab the bite with peroxide. I don't know how much good it does, but if anything it will have a placebo effect on me...lol.

Last edited:
Back