Morris Brown is about to make a big comeback

atl hornet

https://www.theatlantavoice.com/art...rris-brown-college-initiates-slow-resurgence/

"
In 2012, the college filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

According to the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts, “A chapter 11 debtor usually proposes a plan of reorganization to keep its business alive and pay creditors over time.”

Despite its financial issues, Morris Brown College has never closed its doors. During Pritchett’s time as president of the college, Morris Brown’s debt has immensely been reduced.

“We had $32 million worth of debt that had been sitting on the books for about eight or nine years,” he explained. “In 2015, we came out of bankruptcy and had only $3 million worth of indebtedness. And that was to the AME church.”

With its debt nearly eliminated, the college began to seriously look at accreditation as its main priority.

The school has been working with an independent consultant to file its application. If accepted, the school will receive its accreditation by the end of 2019."

Please Lord let this happen

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
All I know is SACS in the Southern States. I know a few of our HBCUS that lost accreditation from SACS received status with this agency.. Is this agency legit?

All I know is SACS in the Southern States. I know a few of our HBCUS that lost accreditation from SACS received status with this agency.. Is this agency legit?

SACS is the acronym for Southern Association of Colleges & Schools and is the primary acrediting agency for educational institutions in the southern United States. Different regions of the country have accrediting agencies for the colleges and schools in their region. For example, in the western portion of the country, it is the (WACS) Western Association of Colleges & Schools. There are other accrediting agencies besides the regional ones, some of which employ very high standards.

Yes. The students will be able to receive federal financial aid with this accreditation. Here is the full article which talks about other schools who have this accreditation.

If enough HBCU alumni would just give a little bit no one would have to give a lot. Too many of our people act like twenty-five dollars out of every pay-check will kill them.

LAW DAWG, ain't that the truth. I just SMH at some of the HBCU alumni that I know. And another thing, if you live in a town/city that has an HBCU nearby, even if you didn't attend that particular institution, support it in any way you can. A few dollars a year will not kill you. All those black millionaires that live in the Atlanta area, well........

But anyway, that is not how we roll. I know that.

This are the major bodies of Accrediting by the DOE (below). TRACS- from my research is recognize but not as a regional agency and from just what I have read has had problems in the past. I hope all goes well.

*Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges
*Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools
*Distance Education Accrediting Commission
*Higher Learning Commission
*Middle States Commission on Higher Education
*Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges
*Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
*New England Commission of Higher Education
*Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training

This are the major bodies of Accrediting by the DOE (below). TRACS- from my research is recognize but not as a regional agency and from just what I have read has had problems in the past. I hope all goes well.

I do also, and I think everything will work out. The Department of Education no longer recognizes geographic location as distinction for accreditation agencies as it pertains to accountability under the Higher Education Act. That is a recent development and a good one because state and national education policies had been drafted, over the years, that were affecting students and graduates for no other reason than the geographical area their degree was received from.

As it pertains to HBCUs, it significantly eases the financial burden off of financially strapped religious based and religious founded HBCUs by no longer forcing them into situations they really can't afford just to maintain SACS accreditation which is costly, and could get even costlier to reattain if lost. Since TRACS is less costlier and financial aid can be awarded I'm glad it's a viable option. A win for the schools and the students.

Last edited:
I do also, and I think everything will work out. The Department of Education no longer recognizes geographic location as distinction for accreditation agencies as it pertains to accountability under the Higher Education Act. That is a recent development and a good one because state and national education policies had been drafted, over the years, that were affecting students and graduates for no other reason than the geographical area their degree was received from.

As it pertains to HBCUs, it significantly eases the financial burden off of financially strapped religious based and religious founded HBCUs by no longer forcing them into situations they really can't afford just to maintain SACS accreditation which is costly, and could get even costlier to reattain if lost. Since TRACS is less costlier and financial aid can be awarded I'm glad it's a viable option. A win for the schools and the students.
That might change under the Biden Ad

That might change under the Biden Ad
That's possible since the change happened with Betsy Devos as Secretary of Education, but I don't think it will for a few reasons. First, the change was the outcome of a committe of career civil servants looking into the efficacy of regional and national accreditation. Second, it would be a bad look and frowned upon by HBCU administrators and the CBC. Last, I think HBCU alumna V.P. Harris would step in to curtail a move obviously harmful to HBCUs.

That's possible since the change happened with Betsy Devos as Secretary of Education, but I don't think it will for a few reasons. First, the change was the outcome of a committe of career civil servants looking into the efficacy of regional and national accreditation. Second, it would be a bad look and frowned upon by HBCU administrators and the CBC. Last, I think HBCU alumna V.P. Harris would step in to curtail a move obviously harmful to HBCUs.
Why this was changed was because she wanted for-profit schools to be able to get federal aid, that couldn't before( making it much easier for the TRUMP Universities of the world) It may not change, but I think the guidelines for this non regional agency to have to be able to prove certain bench markers

This changed, because she wanted for-profit schools to be able to get federal aid, that couldn't before( making it much easier for the TRUMP Universities of the world) It may not change, but I think the guidelines for these non regional agencies will have to prove certain bench markers, which I think in the long run will be close to what the regional agencies are doing

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Don’t bet the house on VP-elect bending to single in aid to HBCUs. Howard folk, undergrads, are slightly “different,” imho. I was around those people for a short duration and it was enough for me to maintain a strong social distancing from them, for the most part. I am an HU alum.

Don’t bet the house on VP-elect bending to single in aid to HBCUs. Howard folk, undergrads, are slightly “different,” imho. I was around those people for a short duration and it was enough for me to maintain a strong social distancing from them, for the most part. I am an HU alum.

yeah they different but they are on average pretty strongly pro-HBCU ... especially once they leave "the yard". The Howard elitism dies down a lot upon graduation.

HBCUs have received more support and attention this year in mainstream society than any year prior. The momentum is look good for us.

yeah they different but they are on average pretty strongly pro-HBCU ... especially once they leave "the yard". The Howard elitism dies down a lot upon graduation.

HBCUs have received more support and attention this year in mainstream society than any year prior. The momentum is look good for us.

Does their elitism die down? lol :D Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.... seems to me it gets worse. I did grad school so I'm HIGHLY sensitive about someone attempting to crack on anything regarding my undergrad or other SWAC schools, for the most part.

Does their elitism die down? lol :D Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.... seems to me it gets worse. I did grad school so I'm HIGHLY sensitive about someone attempting to crack on anything regarding my undergrad or other SWAC schools, for the most part.

Yeah, most of the Howard grads are black people who only existed in white spaces prior to enrolling so they different different. They don't fully understand the concepts of black unity and how internalized white supremacy makes them be so anti-black. Many of them learn this once they leave.

Back