Morris Brown College :15-week spring semester into 7-weeks

JSU*Toi

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- Troubled Morris Brown College announced it will abridge its 15-week spring semester into seven weeks so students can complete classes before an accreditation appeal hearing.

Last month, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools revoked accreditation at the private, historically black college. Until its appeal hearing in March, Morris Brown can retain its accredited status. If the college loses, students will not be eligible for federal financial aid.

Officials said Thursday students returning January 13 will double the amount of time spent in each course -- ending the semester in early March rather than May.

"We made this decision with a desire to protect the integrity of their academic investment," said Charlyn Harper Browne, vice president of academic affairs. "There will be sacrifices, but students and faculty are committed to making it work."

The new schedule will require students to spend 110 minutes in each class rather than 50 minutes. Faculty members are trying to condense their lesson plans, school officials said, and professors will continue to teach four classes each.

Morris Brown President Charles Taylor has said the school will seek accreditation from another source if it loses its appeal. Taylor recently estimated the college's debt at $27 million. Former Morris Brown president Dolores Cross resigned in February.

"We're still gathering information and haven't rendered a decision," Department of Education spokeswoman Jane Glickman said. "I'm not aware of another school that has ever taken this course of action."

Federal investigators are looking into whether the school illegally received millions in student financial aid and used it to pay debts.

I guess you could make this feel like a summer course, but the students will still be hurting. Most people can only take 6-8 hrs for a summer couse but to be entitled for financial aid during a regular fall or spring course don't you have to take a full load which would mean at least 12 hrs? Is there enough time in the day to take the minimum (12) hours and stay sane(sp)? I know all those schools in the AUC are run by diff churches but I think it's time to stop duplicating services and merge them into 1 larger university.

And the worst thing about this is that the students dont even know. I talked to a friend of mines that goes there and I asked her what she thought about it, and she looked at me like I was crazy. I was like, you didn't know, and she said, NOBODY DOES!!! I guess they're gonna break the news on the first day of class. :smh::smh::smh:

Wow....I wonder if this semester would be worth it for the students....

Originally posted by JSU*Toi

Officials said Thursday students returning January 13 will double the amount of time spent in each course -- ending the semester in early March rather than May.

Back