Morris Brown coaches out in cash crunch

DAHILL

Morris Brown coaches out in cash crunch

By EARNEST REESE
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

Financially strapped Morris Brown has fired head football coach Sol Brannan, two of his @$$istants and three other athletics department employees in an effort to save money, the school's athletics director said.

"It was a mandate by the school to cut staff across the campus," Russell Ellington said. "The decision to cut the head coach was made by the president [Charles Taylor] and athletics director. The other . . . cuts were my decision."

Fired with Brannan were offensive coordinator Greg Thompson, a former Morris Brown head coach and athletics director; offensive line coach Mike Wallace; equipment manager and adminstrative @$$istant Cecil Fred; trainer Nicole Pinnock and @$$istant women's basketball coach Jerome Rowland.

The combined annual salary of those released was $236,500.

Morris Brown is $27 million in debt and is appealing the loss of its accreditation. A decision on whether to replace the fired employees won't come until March, after the school learns the result of its appeal, Ellington said.

Ellington: "I hate to keep going back to that, but everything is contingent on regaining accreditation."

Without accreditation, the school can't compete as an NCAA member and might not be able to afford to field teams, if it can stay open at all.

@$$istant coach Mike Pitts will lead the program on an interim basis. Four @$$istant football coaches remain, including defensive backs coach Rashid Lemoine, Ellington's grandson. There will be an early spring practice, with an estimated 63 players participating in the 15 days of workouts, Pitts said.

"Spring practice won't be a waste of time, because it'll help us get better," redshirt freshman tight end Jackie Wright said. "Transferring is in the back of everybody's mind if we don't get our accreditation back."

Brannan, a longtime Wolverines @$$istant and Morris Brown alumnus, was 5-6 and 1-11 in his two seasons as head coach.

"I think my release was personal," said Brannan, whose annual salary was about $62,000 but who is still a part of a family sporting goods business. "Winning wasn't the thing, because they didn't give me anything to win with. In my two years as head coach, I was never given any recruiting money. I must've spent close to $40,000 of my own personal money."

Brannan said that he was as much perturbed by the way he was dismissed as by the dismissal itself.

"The athletics director called a meeting of the [football] staff and told me, Greg and Mike that we were being dismissed. He told us to go to the office of human resources," Brannan said. "That was so unprofessional."

"I was shocked by all of this, but I look forward to the opportunity," said Pitts, who played four seasons for the Falcons in the mid-1980s and now gets to run the team after spending the past two seasons as an @$$istant at Morris Brown.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
There will be no Morris Brown after this semester, it is inevetible. They are doomed to end such a great school that has educated so many people in the past. Time for the other schools in the AUC to expand their campus by purchasing property owned by Morris Brown so they can pay off their debts. With this kind of stuff going on who would want to teach or coach at this school knowing they will be layed off during their off season

Honestly I wonder what they are going to do with that beautiful stadium that they have. Will it be used for high school games? CAU dont need it, they cant fill up there 5,000 seat stadium. Morris Brown only has about 4 buildings on campus, the only real use I can see the other AUC schools getting out of it is the twin tower dorm.

Originally posted by DAHILL
Honestly I wonder what they are going to do with that beautiful stadium that they have.

I HEARD THAT A LOCAL WOMEN SOCCER TEAM USES THE STADIUM FOR IT'S GAMES. I'M SURE THE MARCHING BAND WILL START TO FEEL THE CRUNCH SOON.

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI

I HEARD THAT A LOCAL WOMEN SOCCER TEAM USES THE STADIUM FOR IT'S GAMES. I'M SURE THE MARCHING BAND WILL START TO FEEL THE CRUNCH SOON.

yeah they do... that is the reason they pulled the turf up last year. But it is one of those bootleg semi pro teams where the league fails every 2 years so I am sure they wont be there long.

Originally posted by DAHILL
Morris Brown only has about 4 buildings on campus
Why do you wanna belittle the weary?
:cry:

btw, I agree about the high school games being held at MoB's stadium. They should have been doing that all the time. Especially Washington High, with it being right down the street from MoB. Their games should've been move there a long time ago. So should Douglass's games. Mays too.
I'm just not not a fan of Lakewood or Grady Stadium. :tdown:
A couple of years ago, they had the Atl/Dekalb challenge at MoB and I have never seen that stadium with more folks than the game with Doug and SWD.

But the story I heard was that MoB wanted to charge the high schools too much to use the stadium.
:smh:

I agree unknown. Nothing necessarily wrong with the Lakewood stadium. but the location is messed up. With Washington and Doug having the two largest followings for football of the city schools, they would be even bigger if their games were played closer to the neighborhood of the schools, MoB is much closer to both than Lakewood.

True. I think Doug, Parkview, and SWD have the biggest followings around ATL as far as football goes PERIOD. And that's on all levels....well except for maybe the Falcons. I was at the highschool showdown game with SWD & Doug that year....and the game was sold out an hour before the game even started. MBC has NEVER sold out that stadium, not even for homecoming.

Back