Morehouse Students, Faculty Object to Biden as Commencement Speaker

bernard

THEE Realist
Morehouse College leaders made a celebratory announcement last week that President Biden would be this year’s commencement speaker. But the news was met with anything but celebration by some students, faculty members and alumni of the historically Black men’s college in Atlanta, who condemn Biden’s support for Israel.

An activist group called Faculty and Staff for Justice in Palestine - Georgia issued a statement the next day urging Morehouse to rescind Biden’s invitation to speak in May. The group warned that hosting Biden would alienate donors and prospective students and prompt protests related to the ongoing violence in Gaza.

“As faculty members at academic institutions in and around Atlanta—including Morehouse, Spelman, and Clark Atlanta—we did not see this coming,” the statement read. “This is not the Morehouse College that history has known and that we have come to treasure … President Biden has not demonstrated sensitivity to wrongs, sufferings and injustices. And as the one person on the planet who has the power to stop an active genocide, he has not accepted responsibility for correcting the ills.”

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I thought they were supposed to be smart at Morehouse but when I saw clips from that sparsely attended townhall, I cringed at the students who spoke. Its clear they are just following white liberals just like with the "defund the police " phase that no one even talks about anymore. Columbia students are demanding that their university divests from Israel. What is the realistic demand from Morehouse students?

Most of the Ivies receives millions from Jewish billionaires. I had a conversation about those same billionaires that have taken support from the Ivy League schools and maybe start giving millions to HBCUS

It cracks me up with black people involved in the Palestine issue. I have watched them at the top schools risk the futures for this cause. :p:D:)

Those people were not around for BLM and other civil rights changes. They are using them now and they will become white again when this cause is gone and they will treat blacks as those other people again.

Most of the Ivies receives millions from Jewish billionaires. I had a conversation about those same billionaires that have taken support from the Ivy League schools and maybe start giving millions to HBCUS

Hell, many already give to the Morehouse's of the HBCU world

It cracks me up with black people involved in the Palestine issue. I have watched them at the top schools risk the futures for this cause. :p:D:)

Those people were not around for BLM and other civil rights changes. They are using them now and they will become white again when this cause is gone and they will treat blacks as those other people again.

Yep. Just like this fool here. Blacks are always going to get caught holding the bag and these dummies falling for it

Republicans want Columbia’s federal funding stopped. There are at least 3 big problems.
Sure, yanking taxpayer money from any college looks clear and decisive on paper, but it’s a move so rife with potential unintended consequences and legal hurdles.

Republicans looking to punish colleges for not cracking down hard enough on antisemitism want to cut off their federal funding — a lever of power Washington has not used in decades.

GOP lawmakers, including House Speaker Mike Johnson, are demanding Education Secretary Miguel Cardona exercise powers under an anti-discrimination law to yank Columbia University’s federal cash. It’s a call echoing Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.), who has prodded several colleges since the outbreak of campus protests over the Israel-Hamas war and urged Columbia President Minouche Shafik to resign.

Morehouse College leaders made a celebratory announcement last week that President Biden would be this year’s commencement speaker. But the news was met with anything but celebration by some students, faculty members and alumni of the historically Black men’s college in Atlanta, who condemn Biden’s support for Israel.

An activist group called Faculty and Staff for Justice in Palestine - Georgia issued a statement the next day urging Morehouse to rescind Biden’s invitation to speak in May. The group warned that hosting Biden would alienate donors and prospective students and prompt protests related to the ongoing violence in Gaza.

“As faculty members at academic institutions in and around Atlanta—including Morehouse, Spelman, and Clark Atlanta—we did not see this coming,” the statement read. “This is not the Morehouse College that history has known and that we have come to treasure … President Biden has not demonstrated sensitivity to wrongs, sufferings and injustices. And as the one person on the planet who has the power to stop an active genocide, he has not accepted responsibility for correcting the ills.”

It would be a great honor to have the President as commencement speaker, however, we have a war going on that is systematically taking out people for the land and the Black community is hurting economically. I am concerned that President Biden isn’t more forceful with Israel and Palestine to end the war. Hamas started this with their attack on Israel and they don’t care about the innocents who are suffering.
This is a very high stakes election year and we must find common ground before we make the mistake of turning Biden’s few faults into an unintended victory for Dictator Teflon Don Trump.

Last edited:
This controversy began in December when House Republicans summoned Ivy League Presidents to Capitol Hill to testify. Harvard's President resigned amid the uproar. Now, this controversy, initially created and fueled by Republicans, is spreading to HBCUs.

View: https://youtu.be/wflq785VBks?si=jIgOZh9doX31HV-a
It would not surprise me if the Republicans are financing the uprising on the campuses to diminish and undermine President Biden. Something is very wrong when you speak against the war, and killing and you get labeled antisemite and have to resign your job.

Back