Monster Ball.........Your Comments

Dr. Sweet NUPE

Ok, I saw this movie tonight. Puffy in my opinion can be an excellent actor given a little more practice. Is it just me or does Billy Bob Thorton look like a freakin bear.......

Ok, let's be serious for a minute. This is the question that I wanted to ask.

I had a lot of respect for Halle Berry in her previous movies. She prooved that you can act without having to show you "Birthday" suit....:eek2: ....I mean let's be real. Halle is one of the actors that can put on a show with out having to show everything that God gave her. But in this movie she showed her ARSE!!!!!

The movie gets a thumbs up from me......it had humor and passion. Yet, I'm still tripping off of Halle.:D

I haven't seen it

Doggone Birmingham theatres don't like seeing a White man and Black woman get freaky. Oh how far we've come. :lmao:

I was disappointed in the Oscars for nominating her for a role where she essential had to show off EVERYTHING (so much for my imagination). But, maybe she shows better skills outside of that particular scene. Hey Doc, how was her acting?

I guess I'll see it on DVD someday and be able to critique it then :(

Hey Sweets,
I've been trying to get up the nerve to see this...but I haven't mustered it up yet.

I'm sure Halle's performance is good, but I still hate that she had to bare it all to get some recognition. I see a trend I don't like...Angela Basset in the "Score" & "Ruby's Bucket of Blood" and Halle in "Monster's Ball". Conversley Denzel had to be a thug to get a nod (I did see "training day" and he was off the wall).

What does that really say about black actors & actresses?

I've out it off for long enough, I'm going to check it out and get back with you.

Training Day

To me Training Day defined Denzel as an actor. He was able to switch roles on us and play someone bad instead of the do-gooder. I was impressed.

Re: Training Day

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet NUPE
To me Training Day defined Denzel as an actor. He was able to switch roles on us and play someone bad instead of the do-gooder. I was impressed.

I agree. I thought "X" was Denzels defining role....but "Training Day" showed something we don't often see from Mr. Washington...definition of range. "John Q" shows a different level of range as well.

Well, I saw Monster's Ball...

Just as soon as I dawg Birmingham for shutting it out, one cinema gets it. Guess I should complain more often.... ahem, I'm not making enough money!!! :redhot: :D

Anyway, it was better than I thought it would be. Freak nasty sex scene aside ;), I guess Halle gave an Oscar-worthy performance as a hurt, pained character. She was by no means weak, but she was hurting and needed someone (just as Billy Bob did). It was interesting how both of them shed the people who made up their old lives (Billy Bob went as far as to stash their memories behind lock & key) and started new lives together.

I hope I'm not giving too much away (so stop reading now if you don't want to know) but what do you think about Halle's reaction when she found out Billy Bob knew her husband (P-diddy)? I can see her initial anger and pain - it was her husband after all. But Billy Bob could also be seen as the one who freed her from her past struggles, beginning with her husband. So, her stunned and slow acceptance are interesting reactions as well.

I'm glad it ended on a positive note. Despite their pain and sadness and negativity that kept them down, they were able to begin rising above it and healing by being together. I didn't get that turnaround & glimmer of hope from Training Day, hence my overall dislike of that movie.

I have not seen previews for this movie. Can someone tell me what the movie is about without really telling the whole story?

About Monster's Ball

Well, you can check out the official website or Yahoo's page on Monster's Ball, including reviews and showtimes if it's showing near you.

It's an independant film, meaning not enough funds to distribute widely. But it's getting more publicity now 'cause of Halle's numerous nominations for Best Actress (Golden Globes, NAACP, Oscars). If she wins the Oscar, I won't be disappointed (my mind has changed a little from previously). Check it out if you can and form your own opinion.

This movie has been placed on my list of movies that I will download, I never had any intention of spending my money on this movie. This movie was called crap before it was released.

I've long since gotten past the nude scene...

Downloaded it off Morpheus :D (pv - you can probably find it there now), but deleted after I saw what all the fuss was about. It's somethin allright :eek:

But I saw the movie to see if the Oscars gave Halle the nomination for anything other than she happened to be in a fairly critically-acclaimed movie and there were few other actresses to nominate (I can't remember any great performances this year). I guess I could see her getting it.

Back