Mississippi SWAC Schools go get some of these players (PRCC - 2004 JUC0 Champions)

PV-PRIDE

Pearl River rolls to national title with 35-14 win

Wildcats beat top-ranked Butler County in Dalton Defenders Bowl

Pearl River quarterback Jimmy Oliver takes a victory ride after helping the Wildcats win their first junior college national title since 1961.

COFFEYVILLE, Kan. ? Moments after Levance Richmond scored what proved to be the clinching touchdown for Pearl River Community College early in the fourth quarter, the sun broke through for the first and only time all day.

It was as if the sun was shining its approval on a glorious day to remember for PRCC and its fans, as the Wildcats crushed top-ranked Butler County (Kan.) 35-14 Sunday to win the NJCAA national championship before a crowd estimated at 6,000 at Veterans Memorial Stadium.

"We were talking about that on the sideline," said Richmond, a sophomore defensive back from Lake Wales, Fla. "Everybody was saying, 'Look at the sun.' I think the sun came out for a reason, and I'm happy it did."
The victory in the third annual Dalton Defenders Bowl wrapped up a perfect 12-0 season for second-ranked Pearl River and gave Mississippi its first junior college national title since Mississippi Delta won in 1993. Pearl River won its only other title in 1961.

Defending national champion Butler, which lost for the first time after 23 straight victories, finished 11-1.

"Offensively, I thought we could score some points," Pearl River coach Tim Hatten said. "Defensively, I thought they would score more points than they did.

"I'm just happy to bring a national championship trophy back to South Mississippi."

It was simply a case of too many weapons with way too much speed for the Grizzlies to handle. Pearl River spotted Butler a 7-0 edge, then blew out to a 21-7 halftime lead.

"We just had two weeks of hard practices (since winning the state championship with a 24-13 victory over Hinds on Nov. 13)," Wildcats tackle Ryan Sefton said. "We went in thinking they weren't as good as Hinds. They thought our whole team was just fast, and not strong. But it was a good team effort."

The Wildcats suffered a case of the jitters early. They fumbled twice in the first quarter. The second, a fumbled punt by Larry Brackins, set up Butler's first score, a six-play, 38-yard drive.

The Grizzlies got the touchdown on a 12-yard pass from Zac Taylor to Brian Murph, giving the predominantly Butler crowd plenty to cheer about.

But the Wildcats recovered quickly, taking the ensuing possession 68 yards on just six plays.

Passes from quarterback Jimmy Oliver of 17 yards to Josh Barnes and 12 yards to Brackins set Pearl River up at the Butler 11-yard-line, and Bernard Smith swept right end for the tying touchdown.

"Usually, we come out slow, and sometimes the other team gets ahead first," Oliver said. "But usually we get started and play ball. We just had to get it cranked up."

The Wildcats weathered a fumble by Oliver on their next possession when the defense held. And it was the defense that subsequently turned the tide.

After the Grizzlies held on downs at the Butler 30, Pearl River linebacker Gene Coleman stepped in front of a Taylor pass and rambled 39 yards to the Butler 6.

"We were just in our base, and running our regular stuff," Coleman said. "It looked like he looked right at me, turned to look at his man, then threw it right to me."

On the first play after the pick, Oliver found Brackins in single coverage on a fade pattern for the go-ahead touchdown.

"After they went up and I fumbled, I wanted to make a big play," Brackins said. "So I told Jimmy to throw it up for me."

It was one of many big plays for Brackins, the 6-foot-5, 220-pound sophomore from Dothan, Ala. Brackins earned most valuable player honors by catching 11 passes for 166 yards and two scores. Oliver also had a big game, completing 23 of 40 passes for 296 yards.

The Wildcats may well have broken Butler's back on the next possession, following a 79-yard punt. Oliver coolly drove the Wildcats 88 yards in 12 plays, hitting passes of 16, 10 and 19 yards to Barnes and 13 and 21 yards to Brackins. Oliver got the touchdown on a 4-yard draw.

Butler got back in the game early in the third quarter, after Wildcats punter Chris St. John couldn't handle a low snap and tried to kick the ball out of bounds. The Grizzlies needed just three plays to cover the 21 yards, scoring on Ryan Torain's 4-yard run.

The Wildcats came right back, however, on a five-play, 28-yard drive after Coleman's second interception. Oliver passed to Brackins from 10 yards out for the touchdown.

The Wildcats' defense made life miserable for Taylor, who completed just 10 of 35 passes and had five picked off. The fourth was the final nail in Butler's coffin. Richmond, the nation's leader in interceptions, swiped his 12th of the season and dashed 43 yards for the clinching score.

Re: Mississippi SWAC Schools go get some of these players (PRCC - 2004 JUC0 Champion

They are going to go to Mississippi St., Ole Miss, and USM and get Pimped for 2 years. They go up there and just to sit on the bench for every game. I wished the would go to the SWAC schools and let their talent be known. You see Ares Nelson finally came to light.

Re: Mississippi SWAC Schools go get some of these players (PRCC - 2004 JUC0 Champion

You really don't have too many top athletes in the state that will go to any of the SWAC schools. They only way we get some of the top players (sometimes) is if they don't have the grades or if they don't get the playing time that they think they should get.

Their starting QB, Jimmy Oliver, was at Alcorn. Johnny Thomas let him get away. He threw nearly 40 touchdowns this year as a redshirt freshmen. Alcorn will never see him again, probably no other SWAC school either.

jaydog said:
Their starting QB, Jimmy Oliver, was at Alcorn. Johnny Thomas let him get away. He threw nearly 40 touchdowns this year as a redshirt freshmen. Alcorn will never see him again, probably no other SWAC school either.

If he was at Alcorn, undoubtedly he didn't have the grades to be there. If that's the case maybe Alcorn sent him there to do his time at a JUCO then transfer but if that is not the case you have to remember who we are talking about here "Dr. Thomas" nuff said.

ASU2002 said:
If he was at Alcorn, undoubtedly he didn't have the grades to be there. If that's the case maybe Alcorn sent him there to do his time at a JUCO then transfer but if that is not the case you have to remember who we are talking about here "Dr. Thomas" nuff said.

Nope, they didn't send him. He left. He ain't coming back. "Dr. Thomas" let the perfect replacement for Carrie, probably better, get away. Sad to say, I doubt any HBCU will sniff him at all this time around. :shame:

Back