MINISTER

JagBR

Who can you turn to these days? The MOANING BENCH needs to be brought back in Church. Things are really getting out of hand! Are we TRULY saved? Is there anything inside of us that CONVICTS us when we are wrong? Do we KNOW what is WRONG or what is RIGHT? Are we putting on that WHOLE armor?

This Minister and his wife used to be on a BILLBOARD on CHOCTAW.

www.2theadvocate.com/stories/042305/new_mcfarland001.shtml

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2theadvocate > News > Baker minister to serve 15 years in molestation 04/23/05

Baker minister to serve 15 years in molestation

By ADRIAN ANGELETTE
aangelette@theadvocate.com
Advocate staff writer

WBRZ Video
Former Baker pastor sentenced to 15 years in prison

PLAY VIDEO

As part of a plea agreement, Baker minister Bennie McFarland received the maximum sentence Friday of 15 years in prison for indulging in sex with three boys during the mid-1980s.
Two of McFarland's three victims testified at his sentencing Friday, as did McFarland and his wife. McFarland, the minister at Hightime Evangelistic Center in Baker, was a science teacher at Prescott Middle School at the time he had sex with the boys.

McFarland stopped his trial in February and pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated crime against nature and one count of molestation of a juvenile. Each count carries a maximum of 15 years in prison. As part of the plea, prosecutors agreed that McFarland's sentences could be served at the same time -- effectively making 15 years the maximum.

The plea agreement also called on prosecutors to dismiss two counts of sexual battery, one of oral sexual battery, two of molestation of a juvenile and one of kidnapping.

State District Judge Todd Hernandez said he has received letters in support of both McFarland and the victims since McFarland pleaded guilty Feb. 18.

Advertisement

Hernandez said the boys were young and impressionable and noted that McFarland was their minister and teacher.

"I will say this is a sad day and a sad day for many," Hernandez told McFarland. "You preyed on those who trusted and confided in you."

One of McFarland's victims testified that the ordeal has had a lasting impact on his life.

"All I have to say is I trusted you, and you said you would be my father figure," said Justin Hurst, who is an adult now. "Because of you I cannot trust anyone in my life."

After court, Hurst said, "It's a very good day for me. He got the maximum. I'm happy."

Another victim, Robert Brown III, also an adult, said he's been through a long and difficult journey.

Brown said the fact that McFarland has never apologized to him personally is "worse to me than having to go through it."

Despite the problems Brown said he has confronted, he testified that he forgives McFarland.

"I want you to know that I do forgive you even though you have never apologized to me," Brown said. "I hope you do one day get to that point."

After court, Brown said he needed to forgive McFarland for his own peace of mind.

"At 10 years old, I should be thinking about playing Nintendo, not having sex with him," Brown said.

Fred Sanders Sr., the stepfather of another victim, testified that he and McFarland used to be best friends, and that McFarland was his minister during the time he was molesting the victims.

Sanders described McFarland as arrogant and manipulative, and a person who has no remorse for his actions.

Sanders called the sentencing bittersweet because he knows McFarland's three children will be without a father. At the same time, he said, the "court system was successful in getting another child predator off the street."

When he testified, McFarland apologized for the hours of time his case has taken from the court system and for the pain the families have endured, but never directly apologized to the victims.

"There were some things I've done wrong, and I apologize," McFarland said.

The former minister even testified that during the years his case has been in the judicial system, a lawyer tried to extort $850,000 from him.

"I ask the court for grace and mercy," he said.

His wife, Miriam, said she considered all the accusers her sons.

"I don't know when all this other stuff occurred," she testified. "All I ever knew was for him to reach out and help people.

"He told me that he has repented, and he has repented in front of the church," she said.

McFarland's attorneys, Robert Glass of New Orleans and Robert Randolph of Baton Rouge, declined comment after the hearing.

Prosecutors Maria Finley and Barry Fontentot handled the prosecution. Finley described McFarland as arrogant in court and his statement as self-serving.

"It was all about how tough it has been on him," Finley said. "I couldn't count how many times he said 'me' or 'I'."

Finley also said the maximum sentence was gratifying to the prosecution and victims' families.

"It is so great to see them smile today," she said.

Eric Gains, another of the victims, said after court he would accept McFarland's apology, "if that's the best he can do."

Gains, an adult, said he hopes his coming forward with the allegations will encourage others to do the same.

"I would be encouraged if other people come forward and put away people like him," Gains said.

It's very sad. I happen to know the minister and his former best friend and the son. :smh:

Why did they wait so long to tell it? It's scary because if you have a quiet, shy kid who does not talk much, people can do any Bad thing to the CHILD and parents may not find out about it.

BLAQUE PRINCE said:
The same place we should have been turning all along. A minister, however noble his intentions are, is still just a man.

Is he going to ANGOLA or to PARISH prison? From what I've been hearing, he'll be able to have all the MALE Sex he wants. You go in one way and come back out something DIFFERENT. He admitted to doing it.

Killer Bees said:
Amen walls.

You ain't got to say "Amen walls," 'cause I hear Blaque's point, too! Amen! :D

I don't put nothing past nobody, including ministers. They are not above doing stupid, carnal things.

CriTAUcal said:
You ain't got to say "Amen walls," 'cause I hear Blaque's point, too! Amen! :D

I don't put nothing past nobody, including ministers. They are not above doing stupid, carnal things.

You are so correct.

Eph 5:1-21
5:1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.
8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
9(For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

13 But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
15 See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.
18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
KJV

And v.21 is where most of us make our mistake: The lack of accountability in our lives.

Back