Michael Jordans Sister Tells Story of Abuse

THAMES

This is a very sad story. It kind of reminds you of the Latoya Jackson story.

http://www.urbanphilly.com/up_ps_dj.asp

ps_dj.gif

Deloris Jordan

A rose by any other name: Michael Jordan's sister finally exhales
By Christina Crews

Wouldn't you like to be one of Michael Jordan's siblings? Riding the wave of his celebrity, being showered with all things fancy, having the ultimate bragging rights. Hell, you'd be famous just for having the "Jordan" moniker. Well according to eldest sister, Deloris E. Jordan, being Michael Jordan's sister carries a weight that the public does not see and that not many people could bear -- including Deloris herself.

In Deloris' book, In My Family's Shadow, she talks about all the horrors she had to endure and stifle for years, just to keep the Jordan name in tact because of her little brother's clean cut, respectable and very public image.

"In My Family's Shadow talks about not only being in Michael's shadow but being in my family's shadow as a whole, about being my own person and learning that my life was my life and I had a right to live it regardless of the accolades my family gained," said Deloris, who has lived in Philadelphia for the last 13 years.

Deloris and James Jordan had four other children besides Michael -- Dennis, Deloris, Larry and Roslyn -- but when Michael, second to the youngest, became "Michael," second to none, Deloris' world changed. But even before Michael achieved his fame, Deloris claims that the man she loved and respected, her father, began sexually molesting her, sometimes coming to her while her younger sister lay sleeping next to her. In addition, her mother, she claims, abused her emotionally and physically.

Deloris says her father's abuse began at age eight continued until she was 16, when she finally confronted her mother about what had been happening. Mom Jordan made Deloris confront her father, who, she says, admitted it. Her mother's answer was to send her away to a girls' home, but that never happened. "We lived in affluent Black neighborhood in Wilmington, N.C. My parents were well respected, well liked and well known and I don't know if they could've explained how I ended up in a girls' home. Since I didn't wind up going, I was left in a house with nobody talking to me, telling me how to get beyond any internal conflict," she states. "My mother had my father to vent on, to be angry with and to punish, but she told me to shut up. She told me on the day she mentioned the girls' home that when she walked out of there, we would never disclose or discuss this again."

Meanwhile Michael's basketball prowess was becoming the talk of the sports world. It was hard enough to accept what had happened to prior to her brother being famous. Now it was becoming impossible to try to address in the midst of Michael's comeuppance.

Deloris went on with her life, often acting out because she had no other outlet. As an adult she would attempt suicide three times. During her third attempt, she mixed an inordinate amount of pills with a fifth of bourbon. "My thought at the time was even if it didn't kill me, at least if I fell into a coma, something to numb my pain, anything was better than this," she remembers. "I was willing to go through whatever measures to just stop the internal pain." Discovered by a girlfriend, Deloris' stomach was pumped and she spent a few days in the ICU.

"Frank Rizzo dropped dead two days later so I was a very angry young woman. I couldn't understand why God took him, who seemed to be enjoying life and had a lot to live for and left me, someone who didn't want to live. I didn't understand why he would leave me in this misery," she said. "Then I thought, OK Lord, I don't know why you're keeping me here, but there's no doubt you're keeping me. So that put me on a search to find out why he was keeping me. But that didn't happen overnight."
Deloris was still angry, she was still miserable and she was still wondering what she did to make her father touch her in the way he did. Bringing attention to her situation would be a bad PR move for Michael. The Jordans were North Carolina's royal family and were presented to the country as the picture of southern normalcy. But Deloris was dying inside. It would take years of therapy to help her come to grips with what happened, but she would never get a chance to ask her father any questions because of his murder in 1993.

Now 43 and estranged from her family, this mother of three has renewed her relationship with God and found her path in life. Along with her book's debut, she has launched her publishing company, Jordan Signature Publishing. "One publishing company wanted me to make the book more about Michael or step away from the abuse [angle]. I was fighting to keep the integrity of my story. I figure if they're telling me to do this and that, how many people without the gravity of my name have to fight for the same thing? So I figured I'd give first time authors a chance to be heard," said Deloris.

In My Family's Shadow promises to enlighten readers about the imperfections of the Jordan family detail the choices Deloris made in her life as a Jordan. Her book can be found currently at Basic Black Books in the Gallery. In My Family's Shadow will be released nationally in March.

She is trying to get paid off her brothers name.

I also thought she sounded just like Latoya when I read this last week.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Why do yall think she is trying to get rich off of her siblings name? This kind of stuff happens in this world. It was not long ago that some people were saying that Juanita married MJ for his money, when the truth is, MJ married Juanita. Don't be so quick to judge people.

Lacumba said...Why do yall think she is trying to get rich off of her siblings name? This kind of stuff happens in this world. It was not long ago that some people were saying that Juanita married MJ for his money, when the truth is, MJ married Juanita. Don't be so quick to judge people.

I agree with Lacumba. this does happen everyday in the real world and this is just another sad case of child molestation and child abuse from a father. This woman has carried this burden around with her for years and it is not fair for anyone to say that it did not happen. I don't think she is trying to get rich off her brother's name, I just think that she has finally gotten well and strong enough to address the problem. This is very sad for all involved.

CRAP

Just another bitter b*tch trying to get paid. Why come out with this bullsh*t now????

Re: CRAP

Originally posted by NASTYNUPE
Just another bitter b*tch trying to get paid. Why come out with this bullsh*t now????

I have to disagree my brother. Who knows the painthat she has endured. Obviously something caused her some kind of hurt. If not, why three attempts to take her own life. She just aired her pain. If this was not true don't you think that her little brother would have lawyerd her up.

Oh I see... It's aiight for Grambling to survive off of Eddie Robinson's name but its shameful for MJ's sister to use her own name on the cover of her own book.:rolleyes: And for the record, I think she's showing much class by waiting until after her little brotha's career was over to release her book. She could have done this a long time ago, don't you think?

Lacumba,

What does Eddie Robinson have to do with Incest? ... Come on now, this is a stretch even for you. A lot of people just don't like their hero's to be attacked, even if the attacker is telling the truth. They are especially hard on females. What's even worse is that some females will be harder on her than the men. I don't know if she's making money off of this or not, but it's a L of a situation to have to be in.

Dude, my comments are based upon the responses i have read with regard to MJ's sister using the Jordan name (of which she has every right), to sell her book. If you are referring to anything else, you are the one ......:topic:

And since when have you known me to give a damn about anybody's hero being attacked.:emlaugh:

Re: Re: CRAP

Originally posted by SwarmingHornet
I have to disagree my brother. Who knows the painthat she has endured. Obviously something caused her some kind of hurt. If not, why three attempts to take her own life. She just aired her pain. If this was not true don't you think that her little brother would have lawyerd her up.

NOPE! :sleeping: :sleeping:

It's amazing how when someone say's something, or write a book about anyone that has fame, it is taken as tha truth. There is no chance she is telling lie's just to get paid .......... is it, (See Latoya Jackson ).

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Re: Re: CRAP

Originally posted by SwarmingHornet
If this was not true don't you think that her little brother would have lawyerd her up.
Him and tha rest of tha family might be like ....... There she goes again. Not worth tha time or free pub that the media would make out of this if he did.

Just my 2cents worth.:rolleyes:

Re: Re: Re: CRAP

Originally posted by jstate83
Him and tha rest of tha family might be like ....... There she goes again. Not worth tha time or free pub that the media would make out of this if he did.

Just my 2cents worth.:rolleyes:

Or the rest of the family could still be trying to cover it up because of MJ's status. There's two sides to every story. I haven't seen anyone from the family come out and try to dispute her accusations yet. Have you?

Re: Re: Re: Re: CRAP

Originally posted by LaCumba
Or the rest of the family could still be trying to cover it up because of MJ's status. There's two sides to every story. I haven't seen anyone from the family come out and try to dispute her accusations yet. Have you?

There are two sides to every story. But, I have not seen anyone from tha immediate or extended family come out and back her story up. Have you? It's not just MJ that cut her off. From what was reported the day this book came out, practically the entire family has kept away from her for years. From what I read, MJ was the one that tried to do something for her by paying for things such as her son's education. When she tried to put this book out last year, MJ stopped paying and stopped what little contact he had with her.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CRAP

There are two sides to every story. But, I have not seen anyone from tha immediate or extended family come out and back her story up. Have you? It's not just MJ that cut her off. From what was reported the day this book came out, practically the entire family has kept away from her for years. From what I read, MJ was the one that tried to do something for her by paying for things such as her son's education. When she tried to put this book out last year, MJ stopped paying and stopped what little contact he had with her.

So he tried to give her "HUSH MONEY". TYPICAL!:rolleyes:

Sometimes pride and embarrassment will hinder you from speaking the truth.

jstate83... People don't like their dirty laundry aired to the public, so I am sure that is why MJ did not want to have anything to do with her after he found out that she was going to go ahead with the book deal. I am glad that she has finally gotten enough courage to speak out about her father, because if her mother stayed with the crazy SOB after some incestous s***like that happen to one of her children then she is just as crazy as the father was.

So what is the other family's motivation for staying away. MJ's not the only one that cut her lose. In fact, he was one of the last people to do so.

Just tring to understand why one side is always tha truth from the beginning, and anything that is said opposite of that is suspect. ......................... Ex: Hush Money .... (for kids education).:confused:

Money will make people lie. Look at all the things Latoya Jackson said about the Jackson family for years. When the truth came out, it was her manager/husband that was putting her up to it. This did not come out until she divorced him. But Joe Jackson had to defend himself against these lie's for years.

And you believe what you want ........ You have tha right. Even though you nor I know any of these people, I see you have made your decision based on 1 side of the story. A dead man can't defend himself.

I'm just trying to figure out why one side is so true, and anything said opposite of that is suspect.

Originally posted by LaCumba
Ok well you keep trying to figure it out and in the mean time, i will be on the smackboard.

On tha smack board .......... Great.

Can't even answer without emotion. SU'sssssssssssssssss.:shame:

Back