MD Enters Huntsville Bar B Q Cookoff

MightyDog

40 teams and the Low Calorie Wood Team which MD was a part were competing in the world class bar b Q cookoff sanction by the KC Bar B Q Association. Our sauce was rate poor. But we were told that sauce had to be hot and people like to feel it when they ish. However, we had a sweet sauce and they wanted to ish fire.

There were folks from TX, KA, OK, GA and other places. The Grand Champion won $15,000.

We had one other Black from Louisville, KY who did place.

On our dessert the judges fought over the last spoon. But we were rated #10 out of 41 entries. The judge that brought back the bowl said it was the best, but we lost.

On our chicken, the top score is 9, one of the judges gave us all 7s. That knocked us out.

On the ribs the same judge did us in. By this time we wanted to know what was his or her problem.

We let people sample our Bar B Que and they said we were the best, but we didn't win. I wish we could have saved all those samples and sold it to them. But we did have about 10 chickens left and some pork roast and we told them they could take a chicken and donate to the AAMU Bar B Q fund. So we end up getting our entry fee back. Next year we will sell and compete.

The Texas Ribs Ranger won the big prize $15,000 and somebody from KC won second prize.

We didn't win but we did not come up short.

If you want to have a great time attend one of these cookoffs or participate in one. This is a lot of fun.

We need more blacks to join the circuit. The next one is this weekend in Memphis. I understand this is the largest in the world.

We have to get our sauce right, and that is to make them feel it the next morning.

They have those cook-offs all over Texas, not too many of us are in it though. But the food be off the chain and drunks be everywhere......

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Yeah the one in Memphis is tight!! Went a coupla years ago, when I had to work there a few months. Yep drunks & crackers everywhere. Never thought about entering one though...Those people have serious grills & cookers. MD what about your team what do they use? But congrats man, and good luck in the future.

BE, we made a big grill called GrandPa. It holds 8 cases of ribs.

All the grills are the brainstorm of the AD. He loves to Bar B Q.

He named them AAMU Low Calorie 1, 2, 3, 4.

We used the latest 3 and 4. 4 was used for the first time.

We got a lot of invitations to appear at other events. I don't know about pulling that big grill around to various events like the guys from TX and OK.

The event provided us with a lot of publicity. We met a lot of CEOs working as volunteers, picking up paper making sure we had everything we needed to compete. They will remember the fibs we told about cooking with Low Calorie
wood.

BTW, as I write this, just thinking about the Friday night party they have. Going into any city, we have a fat chance of finding alumni, therefore we could have a big party on Friday night. Get them drunk sell them some season tickets, collect Alumni Dues and fire up the sauce so they can feel it the next day.

Presentation is a key factor, we will be ready for the next one.

LOL and ROTF @ low calorie wood!!!! Guess it came from organically grown trees! You're right about presentation, I was watching a show on TLC about the cookoff in Memphis and how the team that had been winning lost their presenter to another team and needless to say they lost. Gotta give the people (the judges in this case) what they want. Great idea about the Fri. nite party.

for something different (that may not win but would still be fun and tasty), try this on your meat as a marinade:

*sour orange juice (if you cant find any, mix equal parts of green lime juice and orange juice)

*choppped onions

*chopped garlic

*lime wedges

let the meat soak in that for at least 12 hours and then slap on the grill

gua-ran-teed to be juicy

**I have more if you like :D

(sounds like there ought to be SP.com BBQ team...)

Mighty Dog,

Now you know that people from Texas and KC know how to do some serious grilling. I am out of my league up here. If you go to a KC Chiefs game I mean most of the people are outside the stadium tailgating. There you will find some of the best BBQ and most of it is made by white folk. As a matter of fact one of my wife's co-workers made some country style ribs. Now I am a spare rib eater but I tried one and I fell in love with them. He had some kind of spice on them and when I asked him about the types of spices he gave me a whole mason jar of it. Now I am preparing to enter a BBQ contest my self in Swope Park and I am so hyped about it because I have found the missing ingredient. Wish me luck everybody. BLUE PHIIII!!!!!!@Mighty Dog.

TT 1914, it is the dry rub that is used to create the great taste. Once you get a good dry rub it really makes the meat taste great. This was our first event but we plan to do more. The sauce we used was too sweet. I strongly believe we should not use the sauce. We mix our own dry rub and cook with low calorie wood. One of the guys on the team always add a little white substance that he will not tell us what it is. I am going to send it the lab to be tested.

hassan, the meat has to be prepared on the spot. But I believe the guys who win switch out the meat. Then again who would cheat for only $10,000.

J4J, I won't actually do any grilling on game day, but I will make sure you get to test it from one of the team members.

Back