McGahee set to enter NFL draft

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
McGahee, Johnson set to enter NFL draft

ESPN.com news services
Apparently injury won't keep Willis McGahee out of the NFL draft.

The sophomore running back, who tore is anterior cruciate ligament in Miami's national title game loss to Ohio State, is going to declare for the 2003 draft along with Hurricanes teammate Andre Johnson, the Miami Herald reported.

McGahee rushed for a school-record 1,686 yards and 27 touchdowns this season and was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy.

Johnson, a junior receiver, led the 'Canes in receiving yards last season with 1,092. He also caught 52 passes, nine of them for touchdowns.

The deadline for underclassment to declare for the 2003 draft is Wednesday.

Very interesting. Where will he end up being drafted. He was probably gonna be a top 5 pick before ripping up his knee. Now I can't know where he will be picked. The NFL draft is in april i believe and he won't be nowhere near recovered.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Interesting. Will a team draft and pay a player yet place him on the PUP? It's a gamble, but if if works out it could really pay off great once he rehabs.

Originally posted by LMBH
Interesting. Will a team draft and pay a player yet place him on the PUP? It's a gamble, but if if works out it could really pay off great once he rehabs.

Answer: Only if they can get him for nothing...and that can't be what he is looking for.

IF I MAKE NO MISTAKE, an underclassman can declare and see where he will be taken. If he doesn't like that, he can redeem his eligibility. My guess is that is what McGahee is looking to see. And it may be a condition of him being able to collect full payment on his insurance policy.

On the real, he ripped his ACL, MCL, and PCL. The report is the NO ONE has returned to form after having done so. Now, he could be the first and that would be wonderful. But would NFL team (other than the Bengals) be willing to run the risk of investing an early draft choice on a player with kind of damage? I don't think coaches, GM's, nor owners want that kind of pressure.

I think it is a good move. If he goes back to college, who's to say we wouldn't hurt himself again. He needs to take the opportunity while its there. I believe someone will take a chance on this young man. I think he will go in the first two rounds.

dacon.....

That rule that you are speaking of only applies to basketball players. Once you declare for the NFL, that's it. There is no going back. Donte Stallworth tried to go back last season after declaring early. But his request was denied.

I don't know what McGahee's strategy is, but for his sake, I hope it works out. I always thought that you declared early with the hopes of getting drafted early. I just don't see too many teams taking a chance on him after tearing his ACL and MCL(he didn't tear his PCL after all). The MCL is not that crucial. You can recover from that as a running back. It is more a problem for players who have to get down in a stance every play(I know). But we all have seen that it takes 2-3 years for a player(especially a RB or WR) to make a full return form an ACL. See Edgerin James this season, Jamal Anderson, etc.

Good luck Willis.....you are going to need it.

I hope he has checked with some reliable folk and has gotten reasonable assurance that he will be drafted in some of the earlier rounds. If so, then it's best to go ahead and go pro. That way he can focus on his rehab and not have to worry about rehabbing and staying academically eligible.

Get whatever $$$ that's available now...spend a year on injured reserve and be ready for spring camp in 2004.

It may not be a bad move, considering Gore will be healthy again for Miami, and not to mention, Miami seemingly stays loaded in the backfield. So it's a possibility that he could back to Miami, and not be the best back on the team, seeing that's he's damaged goods now.

I think he knows he's going to be a mid to low round pick at best, and that's not bad considering he could go back to school, and not get his spot back, and not get drafted at all. Just from the perception that his health was so bad, he couldn't crack the lineup at Miami.

Don't frown, because they're talent is that good, and that deep. They haven't missed a beat since Edgerrin James left, and they've had 4 different backs since he left. James Jackson, Najeh Davenport, Clinton Portis, and MaGahee, and again he wasn't the starter this year until Frank Gore got hurt.

NICE

I wonder if Payton is gonna be in the mix now? He got some touches in the National Champ game. Maybe he likes playing at Miami, I wonder if he ever thinks about playing at his dad's alma mater.

Originally posted by MikeBigg
I wonder if Payton is gonna be in the mix now? He got some touches in the National Champ game. Maybe he likes playing at Miami, I wonder if he ever thinks about playing at his dad's alma mater.
Not meaning to offend anybody, but Payton brought absolutely nothing to that national championship game. I wasn't impressed at all. Hope maybe he was just having a bad game and thats not how he normally performs. Sure, OSU played some good defense, but damn!

Originally posted by mighty hornet

Not meaning to offend anybody, but Payton brought absolutely nothing to that national championship game. I wasn't impressed at all. Hope maybe he was just having a bad game and thats not how he normally performs. Sure, OSU played some good defense, but damn!

Trust! I feel the same way.:flamethro

Originally posted by Suge
dacon.....

That rule that you are speaking of only applies to basketball players. Once you declare for the NFL, that's it. There is no going back. ...Good luck Willis.....you are going to need it.

Thanks for straightening me out...and AMEN.

Someone will surely pick him up. Probably late 2nd or early 3rd. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if Oakland picks him up with the last pick of the 1st round (they once drafted a kicker in the 1st round). It's probably best for him to go ahead and come out. He will not see any time next year at Miami, then would have all kinds of pressure on him his senior year to perform. Good Luck Dawg!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Apparently Magahee folks had taken an insurance policy out on him if he got hurt. So even he can't come back he will get some change. I think he will prove he can come back the same way Curtis Martin did when he was hurt his senior year. Parcells took a chance on him and he proved to be a star. Heck he has stayed more healthy in the NFL then he did his whole time at the University of Pittsburgh.

So yeah Magahee is probably doing the right thing.

On Jarret Payton,
He looked like he was too slow and unothdox when he ran the ball. I know he was an HS option type Qb in Illinois. Maybe he should have went to some other school and tried to play QB. He bulked up to play FB at Miami because he didn't have enough speed to play TB anyway. Good thing he don't have to worry about the NFL. His life is already set for him.

Back