MCC Traffic - can anything be done?

Olde Hornet

Getting to the stadium was the worst traffic jam ever. Even the game with over 70,000 was not this bad. What has changed? Are there fewer lots? Less experience handling large traffic jams since Alabama is not playing several games a year in Birmingham?

What can be done? Any suggestions? Who can we contact?

if it wasnt for my boi knowin back ways through the Hood! i dont think we would have made it in time for kickoff cuz traffic was ridiculous....we parked right across the street on Graymont Ave(?) in some old ladies back yard! for 5 dollars

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Tenn/Alabama
Sanford/TSU
AAMU/AlSt
Saturday was unusual because of the number of fans traveling in, around and out of B'ham. We were not the only ones in B'ham this weekend. 20/59 exchange is close to Legion field which slows down traffic. I always head for the stadium 3 hours before game time.

Then you had people who were just riding around the stadium sporting off their cars.

10,000 did not go into the game.

It was a nice problem to have. Only took us about two hours to get back to the hotel. But I expected it to be like this. Traffic was routed the best way they could. More people are tailgating at the game than before. The 8th Ave side was once reserved for cars but now it is a sea of RVs.

Originally posted by MightyDog
Tenn/Alabama
Sanford/TSU
AAMU/AlSt
Saturday was unusual because of the number of fans traveling in, around and out of B'ham. We were not the only ones in B'ham this weekend. 20/59 exchange is close to Legion field which slows down traffic. I always head for the stadium 3 hours before game time.

Then you had people who were just riding around the stadium sporting off their cars.

10,000 did not go into the game.

That's technically 3 big games going on within a 45 mile radius of Legion Field. The Tennessee football team and fans were in the Sheraton. Naturally, as they began heading for Tuscaloosa, they were on that I-59 corridor (which just happened to be one of the routes to Legion Field.

I'm not really sure what could have been done about it. When you have the kind of attendance that we had this weekend, and the locals who are always very friendly about allowing you to park in their driveways and backyards, constant traffic is a rule.

But as Mighty said, you have folks who could care less about the game, but just like to ride around in their cars with the fresh wash and wax jobs, and them ghetto rims! They contributed to alot of the anguish. :mad:

I remained with my "crew" for a few hours after the game was over tailgaiting on one of the spots along 8th Ave. By the time we were ready to leave the stadium, the traffic had cleared out considerably.

I think it's just one of the pains of having a large event such as this. We'll probably just have to grin and bear it.

I have never favored the I59/20 route to Legion. We were on I65N around 12:30 headed to the stadium. We took the UAB exit. Went through downtown and picked up 3rd or 4th Street North. We were parked and in the stadium @1pm.

I agree

I was really suprised that the traffic was that bad. Coming in on 20/59 looked like a nightmare. I was coming from the east side of B'ham so I was able to stay out of most of that mess.

But we did what Tru did...went through the hood (off 3rd Av) and parked in that vacant lot across from Graymont for $5! Dudes watching the parking lot had their RV camped up and was bar-b-queing all night.

I was lucky that I could call someone from B'ham who navigated me through the hood so we could get to the stadium before kick-off. What about those folks who don't know their way through the city?

And we left towards the end of the 3rd so we could avoid the traffic.

I guess since I'm new to the city (three weeks and counting) and really didn't know anyone, I didn't get the full effect of tailgating and hanging out, so my first MCC was just OK. :) Hopefully next year SOMEONE will invite me to tailgate with them...HINT, HINT!!
:D

Back