Man shot in chest on JSU campus

I just knew YE had to be involved. :smh:

My young Brothers when will we learn? Now one Frat is in the hosipital and another Man is in Custody.

Ghetto Thuggis Behavior by "ADULTS". :shame:

Seeing Spots said:
Although, I rarely agree with Get Ready, he is right, it was inappropriate to post this tragic incident on the Smack Board and "wrap it around" the demise of the football program at JSU. Assinine, in poor taste, idiotic, narrow minded, all that!

It is better to have this information posted here and the Prayer Board, but whenever happens "bad" at any HBCU, all of us are affected/effected. For those who seek to destory us, it gives them ammunition in their many attempts to diminish our purpose, our mission, our validity, our existence.

But let me remind all of you, when a similar incident happened at Southern University, it was in fact FODDER for the Smack Board, particularly and especially by the person who now deems it inappropriate.

Hmmmmm...funny how that happens.

Praying for the student shot, the shooter, their families and for the entire Jackson State University family.

Who did some nigorant sh@t like that????!!!!! :smh:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
jag4life said:
I think what might be just as sad is that the Omegas got into a PHYSICAL altercation with dude about a damn BENCH.
True. That's were the situation could have been resolved. It's a sad situation, but if these kids realize you are a frat and not a gang situations like this want happen. Both parties were in the wrong. The fool should not have pulled a gun he needs his butt whipped for that, but the frat guys should have handled the situation differently also.

CEE DOG said:
True. That's were the situation could have been resolved. It's a sad situation, but if these kids realize you are a frat and not a gang situations like this want happen. Both parties were in the wrong. The fool should not have pulled a gun he needs his butt whipped for that, but the frat guys should have handled the situation differently also.

Im still trying to figure out what happened. I know one of the YE Brothers, so Ill see whats up?

Was it that ole boy was sitting on their benches, or was he throwing up the Hooks? What???? :confused: It must have been something big for The Bruhz to follow him to a student center, fight him, and for ole boy to pull a gun out. This new "NI99A" mentalitly by young Black men is to JUMP folx instead of fighting "ONE on ONE".

So S_d :( Ole boy will probally Sue the Ques for something.

CEE DOG said:
but if these kids realize you are a frat and not a gang situations like this want happen. .

That's the problem with our young greeks these days....ALL OF THEM!! And it is that very problem that will lead to the demise of them on college campuses all over the country.

This is sad as hell!!!!!!! Prayers go out to the whole JSU family.... Our kids are losing the focus of what they need to be concentrating on....... :smh:

I have heard conflincting stories about what happened. I know 3 persons involved personally in this scenario (family members of the alleged shooter). One story states that he took the gun from the Que and shot him with his own gun. But remember that there are 3 sides to every story, and no one should have had a gun on that campus period.

I just hope the media gives as much coverage to JSU opening it's dorms to 300 plus students from Tulane during this hurricane crisis.

TRU3000 said:
Im sorry but a 32 yr old is not a kid....the guy who did the shooting was a "grown idiot". Whomever raised this "grown up" did a poor job instilling common sense a few decades earlier when he was a "kid"

I was busy and didn't get a chance to read it in detail. No, 32 isn't a kid. But they still need to learn how to resolve issues in other ways besides violence.

PV-PRIDE said:
Shooting at JSU could have been avoided

By Eric Stringfellow
estringfellow@clarionledger.com

A key element of Allen Rouse's Saturday ritual is a visit to the barber, and this weekend was no exception.

Shortly after Rouse and son arrived at the Tiger Modernized Barber Shop inside the Jackson State University Campus Union, Rouse joined the animated dialogue about guns, fraternities and individual responsibility.

The fodder was provided the day before, when a student was shot near the bookstore around the corner from the barbershop. The gunfire sent students and others scrambling.

"This hurts," said Rouse, 40, a 1988 JSU graduate. "Someone needs to sit these young men down and remind them that they have to be cognizant of what they do and what they say. This is not what their founders had in mind."

Rouse was referring to some members of the JSU chapter of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc., and he is right.

Turf wars

University officials said Friday's shooting was rooted in an incident that took place near two benches painted in the Omegas' colors and widely accepted as the fraternity's space. Ryan Mack, 32, a graduate student who is not an Omega, apparently did or said something that offended several members near the benches, authorities said.

The Omegas followed Mack into the union, and a physical altercation resulted. At some point, Mack pulled out a 9mm handgun and allegedly shot Benjamin Hart in the upper abdomen, officials said. Hart, a senior from Inverness who is an Omega, is in fair condition at the University of Mississippi Medical Center.

Mack is charged with aggravated assault and possession of a firearm on state property. Two others, Anthony Hales, 20, and Kenneth Hair, 21, are charged with disorderly conduct. Hales and Hair are both Omegas. Hales plays football.

The turf wars among fraternities, athletic teams and regular students have become cliche.

Who's responsible?

It's hard to fault JSU for Friday's shooting, unless every visitor and student is searched daily. And, based on the brisk activity in the union and on campus Saturday, safety was not a concern.

Mack's alleged behavior is extremely questionable. Why would anyone bring a deadly weapon to campus and challenge members of an organization unless he was looking for trouble?

Some student Omegas have earned a reputation for being loud and obnoxious with appetites for confrontation. The founding principles do not include such behavior, and the fraternity's adult advisers have work to do. If Omegas are indeed campus leaders, they should have figured out a way to diffuse the tension instead of fueling it by following Mack into the union as alleged. Mack, although armed, appeared to be walking away.

One of Mack's parents is a JSU faculty member, but Mack is an adult. His parents are not responsible for his behavior. He alone is accountable.

"There is no way he didn't know the unwritten rules relating to fraternities, but I guarantee you he was provoked," Rouse said.

This sentiment, based on the Omegas' reputation, was prevalent in the barbershop, but not nearly as popular as the one suggesting the episode could have and should have been avoided.

I received this from the JSU DC Alumni Chapter newsletter....if anyone wants to disagree with the person that wrote it, I would be glad to pass your info along to him...
Just to "shed a little light" on the above article...

"In response to Eric's article below [above], it is so misleading it makes me sick to my stomach. Allen Rouse was never interviewed by Eric and Eric wrote an article without informing anyone in the barbershop he was doing so. He came in the barbershop and listen to folks talk about the incident that happened on Friday afternoon. Allen is good friends with one of our Fraternity members and he informed him that he did not say those words that Eric said he stated.

Now to Mr. Mack, the shooter. The word is, this guy does not have an undergrad degree. His mother works on JSU campus as a faculty member. Mr. Mack has been in and out of jail for years. It really disturbed me to read this article, as I have been informed of the whole story of what took place. Without going into details of the account, you tell me, what is a 32 year old grown man doing trying to go sit on a Fraternity bench, knowing he is not a member. What is any person, on a college campus pursuing a degree, an advance degree at that, coming to campus with a gun, 9 mm with 18 bullets in the chamber, looking to do? And finally, what needs to be clear to everyone. The brother who was shot was not one of the brothers outside when the initial confrontation took place, he was in the Union purchasing school books for class. Him and Mr. Mack exchanged words in the Union after Mr. Mack left from outside and came into the Union. This is when Mr. Mack shot Mr. Hart. At this point is where everyone need to look at Mr. Hales and Mr. Hair as more as heroes for tackling and jumping on Mr. Mack because he had more bullets in that gun that could have easily connected on incident bystanders."

southsuburbs said:
I received this from the JSU DC Alumni Chapter newsletter....if anyone wants to disagree with the person that wrote it, I would be glad to pass your info along to him...
Just to "shed a little light" on the above article...

"In response to Eric's article below [above], it is so misleading it makes me sick to my stomach. Allen Rouse was never interviewed by Eric and Eric wrote an article without informing anyone in the barbershop he was doing so. He came in the barbershop and listen to folks talk about the incident that happened on Friday afternoon. Allen is good friends with one of our Fraternity members and he informed him that he did not say those words that Eric said he stated.

Now to Mr. Mack, the shooter. The word is, this guy does not have an undergrad degree. His mother works on JSU campus as a faculty member. Mr. Mack has been in and out of jail for years. It really disturbed me to read this article, as I have been informed of the whole story of what took place. Without going into details of the account, you tell me, what is a 32 year old grown man doing trying to go sit on a Fraternity bench, knowing he is not a member. What is any person, on a college campus pursuing a degree, an advance degree at that, coming to campus with a gun, 9 mm with 18 bullets in the chamber, looking to do? And finally, what needs to be clear to everyone. The brother who was shot was not one of the brothers outside when the initial confrontation took place, he was in the Union purchasing school books for class. Him and Mr. Mack exchanged words in the Union after Mr. Mack left from outside and came into the Union. This is when Mr. Mack shot Mr. Hart. At this point is where everyone need to look at Mr. Hales and Mr. Hair as more as heroes for tackling and jumping on Mr. Mack because he had more bullets in that gun that could have easily connected on incident bystanders."

That's the part that stands out to me... what does it MATTER?

The 32 year-old sitting on the bench isn't the issue. Why those fraternity brothers physically attacked him for SITTING on the bench is ONE issue.

The other issue is why the fool (the 32 year-old) had a damned gun?

I'm still :smh: at this whole ridiculous episode!

jag4life said:
That's the part that stands out to me... what does it MATTER?

Very true!!
Like it was said in an earlier article posted, it's become an "unwritten rule" that you don't do that...

but even when I was a student at JSU and as a greek I knew that my lil azz couldn't make ANYBODY get off our bench if they didn't "belong" there...

There are more 'versions' of this story... And I find what SouthSuburbs said about Rouse (not talking to Stringfellow) funny... Stringfellow's been getting his hair cut at Tiger Modernized since I was in school. So he's a regular in there. And they all know who he is and what he does. And he's written plenty of other columns and included quotes from people in the shop before (and ain't nobody complained). So why would Rouse say something now??? He should know that anything said in the presence of a reporter could've been quoted....

Sounds to me like there are way too many stories out there for any one to pass jugdement. The only truth we know is someone got shot. And to pray for the victim and his family.
:mrt:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
First of all, if you sit a bench in a public place on campus, THEN YOUR ARSE DON'T OWN IT NO MORE. ANYONE CAN SIT ON IT. If not, put it in your damn frat house. I ain't no kappa, but they put one in front on my building, I sit on sometime.

I don't mean to be to bias, but Ques more than anyone else are always feeling like they gotta confront folks to prove how tuff they are and live up to thier image. And if they do fight, brag about it late.

That is still no excuse for a 32 year old man shooting them.

That Omega story is way more slanted than Stringfellow's column. I definitely don't buy into the self-serving Omega version. I heard that version the day after from an Omega. All the Ques were being good little boys and bad ole Mack came along with his gun, spit on them, spit on the bench, went to the union, saw Hart, wearing an Omega tee-shirt, standing in line to buy books, and just jumped on Hart and shot him.

The Omega that got shot is one of my friends name Ben.

Ben wasnt even involved with the intitial confrentation. STupid @ZZ neos that started a situation that they couldnt finished ran and got an OLDER bruh (02).

The Older bruh (Ben) starting talking to the guy in the union. A fight broke out and the bruhz jumped the dude. Even though the Quez knew he had a gun they still jumped him. (dumb and s_d at the same time). Ole boy up that strapped and started busting. Ben was the only one shot.

_ ad :(

The Quez should have never followed the guy in the Student Center

The Neos knew he had a strap....they should have let it go WAAAY before it got to that part.

Ben should have never been in that situation. I dont know if the younger Bruhz gassed his tank up. But when someone has a gun......you are setting yourself up for failure.

No one should have a strap on campus.

This situation was dumb from start to finish. Everyone here is to blame.

Son of JSU educator gets lenient sentence

May 12, 2007

Son of JSU educator gets lenient sentence

Mack convicted on gun charges; judge says supporters made impact

By Richard Lake
rlake@clarionledger.com

The son of a Jackson State University dean won't serve any additional prison time for shooting a fellow student on campus in August 2005, a federal judge ruled Friday.

Swayed by numerous letters of support from deans and professors at JSU, U.S. District Judge Tom Lee ordered former student Ryan Mack, 34, to serve 51 months in prison on related gun charges, with no time added for pulling the trigger, despite pleas from the prosecution.

"The only thing I have to say is that I made a mistake," Mack, dressed in an orange jail jumpsuit and chains, told Lee. "I just hope the court will have mercy upon me."

The man Mack shot is not happy about the sentence. "I wanted seven years minimum," said Benjamin Hart, who still has a scar running from below his navel to his sternum. "But I forgive Ryan Mack. I want everyone to know that. I'm not mad at him. I'm mad at this whole process."

Prosecutor Dave Fulcher had asked for the longest sentence allowed, 15 years.

Mack, the prosecution argued, committed his crimes while doing grave bodily harm, what Fulcher called aggravated assault or attempted murder.

But defense attorney Robert Smith had argued that, because the local grand jury declined to indict Mack in the shooting, it must have believed the shooting was self defense. So, he said, to count the shooting against Mack in sentencing would not be fair.

Lee agreed with Smith, but went further in reducing Mack's potential sentence.

Lee, citing the letters of support, said he thinks Mack to be an upstanding citizen with a potentially promising future.

So instead of counting Mack's two 1998 cocaine-related convictions against him, the judge combined them into one offense, reasoning the two crimes occurred so close together they might as well have been the same conviction.

That change reduced Mack's potential sentence by more than a year. In the end, the son of Ally Mack, JSU's dean of international studies, won't serve any more time than he likely would have if he'd never pulled the trigger.

Friday's court hearing brought an unusual end to what has been an unusual case.

On Aug. 26, 2005, Mack, a graduate student from Jackson studying biology, got into an argument with a member of the Omega Psi Phi fraternity.

Fraternity members said Mack spit on their bench, and they argued about it.

Read entire article

Back