Louisville coach wary of hype

Blacknbengal

Louisville coach wary of hype

By Mark Alexander
malexander@clarionledger.com

The music has stopped on the musical chairs game involving the left cornerback spot at Jackson State.

The man left sitting in the chair? Kenyelle Morgan, a redshirt sophomore from Morton.

Morgan entered two-a-days as a backup to Michael Cooley at right cornerback. He was moved to left cornerback last Wednesday and has since worked his way into the starting lineup for Saturday's season opener at Southern Miss.

Four players ? Al Moore, Derrick Watson, Marcus Craft and Morgan ? have held the top spot at one time or another the past three weeks.

"We've given several people an opportunity at that spot, and Kenyelle has been the most consistent," JSU defensive backs coach Robert Kelly said. "He's shown flashes of being a real strong cornerback. He's got good size and good speed."

The 6-foot-1, 175-pound Morgan played mostly on special teams last season. He will be making his first career start against USM.

"I know I will be (nervous)," said Morgan, one of four newcomers in the secondary. "But once I get the jitters out, I'll be OK."

Late arrival

Offensive lineman Marquviaus Mitchell, a former Provine standout, practiced Tuesday for the first time since arriving at JSU 1 1/2 years ago. Mitchell, now 6-1, 375-pounds, was a first-team All-State selection by The Clarion-Ledger in 1999.

"I'm glad to be out here," Mitchell said. "Today was a little sluggish because it was my first time out. I've just got to learn the plays and get in shape. I realize I'm probably not going to play in the first couple of games. I just want to be ready when they call on me."

Verbal jousting

The comments made by USM coach Jeff Bower on Monday regarding Saturday's game being played in Hattiesburg and not Jackson rankled some of JSU's coaches and players.

"They put up a big sign on I-55 saying anyone, anywhere, anytime. They need to adhere to that," said JSU coach Robert Hughes, who used Bower's comments as bulletin board material.

When asked about that during Monday's press conference, Bower jokingly said that catch phrase applied to Division I-A schools only.

"What I-A school goes and plays a I-AA on the road?" Bower said. " I don't know of any of them. Jackson State has a quality program, but it's just my belief that if we're going to play a I-AA school, we're going to play them at home."

I am glad to see that some finality in the secondary. As for USM's coach, don't be weak and take back your own words. JSU is not just any 1-AA. It's a good program that's right up the road. You mean to tell me you can go down the street to play a game. It's not like is AAMU or FAMU asking you to make an average or long distance trip.

Back