Louisiana Bands

usa today

Sgt Backfire
WHY DO LOUISIANA HAVE THE BEST BANDS. LOUISIANA HAS A HISTORY OF PRODUCING THE BEST HIGH SCHOOL BANDS AND COLLEGE BANDS. GRAMBLING ONCE WAS GREAT. SU HAS ALWAYS BEEN GREAT AND VERY CONSISTENT. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT ANT TELL ME WHAT THEY THINK THAT SEPARATES LOUISIANA BANDS FROM OTHER BANDS.

High SchoolBands

:emlaugh:Being from Atlanta Ga, we have pretty good bands but two bands from Louisiana that I think are pretty good this year is Reed High School and Carver High School both schools have good lower brass section. :wavey:

Reason being is because we took pride in what we were doing. That's all we knew was band. (whistle blowing) Tweeeeet tweet tweet, cymbols clashing, you can hear the crowd start to scream, and some one says real loud, Hear comes the band! I was born and raised in Louisiana, was in band my whole school career. We take it to another level. When we went to a battle of the band we went to take blood not just perform. In GA, they are not out for blood like we were. They think numbers and you automatically win, not so fast my friend.

Louisiana had some powerhouse bands and still have some(if I omitted anyone I am sorry) Ferriday, Wossman, Carroll, Green Oaks, BTW, St. Aug, St Mary's, Foshae',35,Nhs,bands out of Lafayette, Lake Charles, Alexandria, the whole state took it to another level. I came to GA and I was like WTF is this. If you messed up and your show was wack you knew you were getting participation not an honorable mention. You came to win or at least place. Over time, things just started to go down down down, its the generation change thats all. Some people still believe in the old skool days for example, SU. I was brought up on discipline, and I have no problem with it now. Never been to jail, never even seen one, never been in any kind of trouble, some of that is becse of the band, being at the right place with the right equipment ready to work, being early is to be on time and being on time is to be late. I owe a thank you to my band director for the discipline and respect that he taught us.

Some bands have changed into the newer days where they lack discipline and respect for all the people that came before them. They want to piggy back off the name, well we did this and we did that, you didn't do nothing if you just got here. I am not going to call any names. And they have the nerve to think that they run the show, give orders,will not practice becse they don't need practice, have a permanent spot from day 1 of practice, don't put a 100% into what they are doing, in it for the money only, you can't tell me what to do, I run this band, if it wasn't for me you'll wouldn't be nothing attitude, refuses to do the right thing, just don't care no pride in the organization, will not play their role and let others do their jobs, too many chiefs less indians, band directors scared of losing their jobs so they let the students act like complete nuts. That is the problem right there, the history is gone, the value is gone, the pride is gone. I was reading what an SU's former band member said, you get all the kinks out in practice and on Saturday in front of thousands of people it is SHOWTIME, all the b.s. stops when you put on that uniform, when you dot that door to the band hall, room or what ever you have. People are watching you, wishing they could be you, but know that they don't have what it takes to be in a disciplined unit as yourselves. That shows you have repsect for your leaders, or organization, yourself for all the time and hard work and practice you put in to make it happen, but somewhere alone the line that got lost in the shuffle like a lot of other things. Someone will read this and know this is you, its up to you to change and just maybe, maybe you will start setting an example of what to do and people will notice the change.

Look, listen and study your history.

Competition also makes the high school bands better. They see the competition between the two colleges...it just rubs off on them. I enjoy watching the high school battle of the bands. From Monroe to Shreveport to Lake Charles to New Orleans...they all represent!!!

Back