Lizzo "Good As Hell" Featuring: Southern University

SIR_GRAM

Legend
I missed this, especially with over 450,000 views. This is a very good video. But to me, it's just carrying a underlying message(s). Southern University band is much more greater to me than to be a "stand behind" for a woman pushing her own personal feelings and thoughts towards a demographic of people... seems like that's what it's all about now. Idk.... it's almost like how the football players said in the past "Now Everyone Gets a trophy" culture....

Cool video. I’m sure the members of the Jukebox enjoyed the experience and that’s what joining our orgs ultimate purpose is. To be able to do things that you would never done otherwise.

Hopefully, Lizzo will find her balance and not get swept under with the tide.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I must admit that I had never heard of Lizzo until this band video. And although she paid SU for use of sites and locations on campus, the more than 6 million views the video has received in just one week since its release would have been cmpensation enough in exposure for the already-famous marching band, who will be the only collegiate band featured in the New Year's Day Tournament of Roses Parade.

Last edited:
Not a fan of Lizzo & her antics, but congrats to the jukebox for being in the video!

They were the only reason I checked it out

+1. Never heard of her and wouldn't want to know her. Good for the Jukes to receive the added $$$$ and additional air time w/ publicity.

They gas her up because she's fat. Black women love her because "she's comfortable in her skin" despite blasting smaller women for the same antics. White folks love her because she's the "safe " mammy type of Black woman in their eyes. Good visibility for SU's band. She's what's hot right now. I think she's gimmicky but hey...get your money while you can.

Last edited:
I thought the video kinda made SU band look a little soft.... I mean the video just gives off this "Everybody can get a Championship Trophy" for effort and that makes you a Champion... type feel and that's Not the SU band I know and remember..... Some of the scenes and connotations, or imagery, or situations/scenes to me would haven't even flown with the SU or 10 years ago.... Obviously has nothing to do with SU or The band... But I mean I just read too much into things....and for the record, I would have felt this way if Grambling did it, or any other band.

It's a music video folks calm down, no reason to get overly analytical. She focused on the female members because the song is a sort of female empowerment song. I actually like Lizzo's music and knew she would make a splash once I heard Juice back in the earlier part of this year on the radio. She made it through in an industry that tends to shun those that don't fit the prototypical pop or R&B star. Plus I appreciate her being a former marching band member in high school and wanting to include the Jukebox in her video.

If she wants to get down and twerk at a game, that's her prerogative. I mean today's top-selling female rapper is a former stripper that has 0 issues with busting it open on the stage.

Last edited:
It's a music video folks calm down, no reason to get overly analytical. She focused on the female members because the song is a sort of female empowerment song. I actually like Lizzo's music and knew she would make a splash once I heard Juice back in the earlier part of this year on the radio. She made it through in an industry that tends to shun those that don't fit the prototypical pop or R&B star. Plus I appreciate her being a former marching band member in high school and wanting to include the Jukebox in her video.

If she wants to get down and twerk at a game, that's her prerogative. I mean today's top-selling female rapper is a former stripper that has 0 issues with busting it open on the stage.
But the children though.... what the children and teens, heck women see and saw at that game even..... the message these cardi bs and megan the stallions send to girls... I mean by all means... it's a time and a place... and I know stuff sells... but I have a son who will enter a heterosexual world far worse than what i did and previous generations.... you know as adults we just dont think about those things... You know these women can live there best life for the rest of there life... but it's a time and place.... you know. No one is held accountable anymore, and that's why society is where it is today. Why society is becoming more feminine natured in so many ways every single day.... it's going to be a very hard time for my sons generation with the direction things are going..... and i hate it for him and his generation....No accountability for women, all accountability on men. #hence r kelly... I can go all day...but I'm not... yea good exposure for SU, at any cost its all about that..... SU and its band always was what it was with and without "Lizzo".... SU band has been "On TV" and in the media, before "Lizzo" was Born.... all I got to mention.....

But the children though.... what the children and teens, heck women see and saw at that game even..... the message these cardi bs and megan the stallions send to girls... I mean by all means... it's a time and a place... and I know stuff sells... but I have a son who will enter a heterosexual world far worse than what i did and previous generations.... you know as adults we just dont think about those things... You know these women can live there best life for the rest of there life... but it's a time and place.... you know. No one is held accountable anymore, and that's why society is where it is today. Why society is becoming more feminine natured in so many ways every single day.... it's going to be a very hard time for my sons generation with the direction things are going..... and i hate it for him and his generation....No accountability for women, all accountability on men. #hence r kelly... I can go all day...but I'm not... yea good exposure for SU, at any cost its all about that..... SU and its band always was what it was with and without "Lizzo".... SU band has been "On TV" and in the media, before "Lizzo" was Born.... all I got to mention.....

Good grief. Children were not harmed by seeing Lizzo twerk at a basketball game. You could make the argument if you wanted a child to be in a whole environment, a sporting event is one of the last places they should be present.

Good grief. Children were not harmed by seeing Lizzo twerk at a basketball game. You could make the argument if you wanted a child to be in a whole environment, a sporting event is one of the last places they should be present.
You just helped validate my last post.....
*Jim Beam whiskey glass, a double, little ice, 1 splash of Sprite* *glass in the air* Here is to this whole Mug going down, here is the lack of accountability alot of women have today and will forever have, here is to the future forour children and generations to come, here is to our senior adults who created what we live in today with there accountability and decision making in the us government, to the greatest president ever we currently have, to living your best life mentality and culture, to be free, let your light shine culture, you deserve a trophy for breathing culture..... to the we are going to participate wide open freely, then tell on them an become a victim late culture ..... male homecoming queen in a dress culture.... 8 yr old cross dresser culture.....

Alright, I'm done hijacking my own topic.......

*Jim Beam whiskey glass, a double, little ice, 1 splash of Sprite* *glass in the air* Here is to this whole Mug going down, here is the lack of accountability alot of women have today and will forever have, here is to the future forour children and generations to come, here is to our senior adults who created what we live in today with there accountability and decision making in the us government, to the greatest president ever we currently have, to living your best life mentality and culture, to be free, let your light shine culture, you deserve a trophy for breathing culture..... to the we are going to participate wide open freely, then tell on them an become a victim late culture ..... male homecoming queen in a dress culture.... 8 yr old cross dresser culture.....

Alright, I'm done hijacking my own topic.......
That's not Lizzo

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

In lieu of your misplaced diatribe -- that wasn't a point at all, by the way -- my point was that it's disingenuous, in this case, to argue that the innocence of children would be harmed because Lizzo twerked at a basketball game. Sporting events historically perpetuate and invite problematic behaviors and ideals. If you really cared about the sensibilities of children, then you would be more concerned about them consistently being exposed to violence, obscenities and derogatory commentary at sporting events than a singer twerking for five seconds.

Folks complain about anything. Great video and good luck to her on the 8, 9, or however many Grammy awards she's up for.

I found this to be an interesting article to read and listen to about Lizzo. To those who did and don't know to much about here, including myself, it can be very enlightening so give it a listen if you have a little free time.

Lizzo On Feminism, Self-Love And Bringing 'Hallelujah Momments' To Stage
TERRY GROSS, HOST:
GROSS: That's my guest, rapper and singer Lizzo, from her new album "Cuz I Love You." It was described in Rolling Stone by Rob Sheffield as Lizzo's legend-making breakthrough album where she finally claims her crown as a mega-pop queen. Lizzo is a self-described big girl. Her backup dancers are big girls, too. Her songs are body-positive. When she was in college, she was studying to become a classical flautist. Although rap and pop won out, she's found a place for her flute in her music. Prince was a fan, and she recorded a track for his album "Plectrumelectrum" with 3RDEYEGIRL

View: https://www.npr.org/2019/07/04/738474527/lizzo-on-feminism-self-love-and-bringing-hallelujah-moments-to-stage

Back