Living to work or working to live?

Panther88

Banned
I remember after my 2nd year out of school my director posing this very question to me. He noticed how I was spending 15+ hour days @ work freely and I basically had zero social life. At that point in my life, I chose to live to work and lived FOR work. My job/career was my ENTIRE life and everything else was secondary (besides religion for it was truly first). He spoke of some things that I couldn't relate to at that time... Like, if I were to pass that very day, did I think the company would continue to function w/out me. Of course, my dumb arse said "no. I think my vacancy from this spot will cause such and such and such and such to happen... and that will prevent this group from gaining ground on delivering the product to the customer in a timely fashion, ..." He abruptly stopped me and said "You're wrong Panthro (okay, Ricky). We'll bring someone in no later than a week after your departure to replace you and life will continue as if you were never here... blah blah blah"

Even some years after that event, I still found myself facing that same type question except it was stated differently (most recently). My godfather (RIP) and others saw how tight I was w/ $$$$ and always willing to slave to get $$$$$, but, was always hesitant to spend $$$$$ on anything, myself, or anyone else. I used to drive this old ass raggedy truck to my hometown frequently during the nineties. This thing had no air and no heat ( :eek: ). I PROUDLY drove the thing for over 6+ years. Well, upon one of my visits, my godfather did something that he'd never done. He got up in my grill :(. He asked me: "What the hell are you working for son? You make all that dayum money and you're scared to spend it? You haven't changed one dayumed bit! What the hell did you go to all of those schools for? You look stupid for riding in that raggedy ass truck! As much money as you make, you should have a nineteen-ninety so and so and so for Monday, Tuesday, and a different one for Wednesday and Thursday.... isht! I see I didn't teach you isht! When you're dead and gone, there won't be a u-haul trailer pulling your money to the grave w/ you.... Enjoy your money while you're breathing son... That's the reason why you work..." :(

Granted, he knew that I'd just had this home built and that I had other vehicles. But, it's just that I chose to drive that raggedy ass truck EVERYWHERE (especially to the hometown)... Loved that vehicle and I couldn't explain to anyone what that "three-on-the-tree" did for me in terms of keeping me well rooted and w/out the big-head. Especially when that raggedy ass SOB broke down frequently on IH635 or 183 DURING RUSH HOUR!!! I can LOL about it now... hahahahahahhahaa :D

So, I said all of that to ask this question. Well, another statement first. I USED to ask myself why people would finance a big arse boat for 20 years, a big arse Benzo for 7+ years, a TRUE sportscar for 6-7 years w/ ridiculous payments of over 800$ per month, an RV for 20+ years, own a 2nd or even 3rd home in remote places, ... Is it that they too are walking this fine line of enjoying the fruits of their labor? Or, am I quick to state that they're way over their head and living above their means?

So, now I ask... Are you living to work or working to live?

Panthro!
ps
<b>
Disclaimer: This thread was not created to be a pep-rally of sorts for everyone to go out and buy a friggin' 2002 Escalade, cigar speed boat, corvette, ... LOL Just thought provoking.

I'm working to live

Any and everybody that knows me, and knows me well will tell you; I don't give a damn about nobody's job. I could care less if the mofo shuts down tomorrow or burns up. Just like I got this one I'll get another one. I work because I have to, not just because I want to. I have a son to take care of, bills to pay and the sort. This ain't no damn extra-curricular activity for me. I don't come in this God forsaken place day in and day out just for my health or for the fun of it.

I don't try and live above my means either, but I will shop and treat myself and my son to nice, fun things because that's our purpose for being here. We should live and enjoy each day because the next one is not promised. I plan for our future of course, but I don't go over board with it. I can't save and save and save and have nothing to show for my net worth now.

Yall can work yourselves to death for these damn companies if ya wanna, but Dtown ain't gone be able to dur it.

Maybe if I had my own business and was doing something that I was passionate about, I may have more motivation and morale.:rolleyes:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
My Thoughts

Panthro, I used to think the same thing about money when I first got out of college and started working. I could pinch a penny so tight that ol' george washington would bleed. I also would be in the office all day long and well into the evening. Even when I got married I continued to work like this place would fold if I weren't here. I've since learned that they will keep on truckin' with or without you black azz Some one also had to tell me that same story about hooking up a uhaul to a coffin.

Well since the Man upstairs blessed me and my wife with a wonderful son, (we also have another one on the way) that all changed. I began to get a better perspective on why I'm here. I now work to live and not live to work. I still have a strong attitude about work, but I have a different spin on it now. I bust my butt in the office so that I can get out of here as soon as possible to allow me the chance to spend as much time as possible with my wife and son. They are the reason I work now. I'm still keep a close eye on the money, but I am in no way as tight as I used to be.

Aaaaaaaaawwwww cat daddy; that was so touching.

How sweet of you; btw, congrats on the new baby to be.:)

DTown,

I had to change or miss out on being an important part of my kids world. I don't want either of my crumb snatchers to refer to ther father as, the one who simply pays the bills. So many people in my age, 30 plus, refer to their fathers in such lights because they really never got a chance to "know" their fathers. So many of these fathers worked so hard for their families that they never made any time for thier children thus causing them to miss out on so much with their kids. The first time I saw my son, I got a whole new perspective on life.

True dat

Originally posted by cat daddy
DTown,

I had to change or miss out on being an important part of my kids world. I don't want either of my crumb snatchers to refer to ther father as, the one who simply pays the bills. So many people in my age, 30 plus, refer to their fathers in such lights because they really never got a chance to "know" their fathers. So many of these fathers worked so hard for their families that they never made any time for thier children thus causing them to miss out on so much with their kids. The first time I saw the little fellow in the picture attached below, I got a whole new perspective on life.

This is soooo true CD.

I know several people whose parents are still together and they grew up with the both of them in the house, but the kids feel as if they were products of a single parent home.....this all because the father felt the best he could do for the family was to work. Never participated in anything with the family at home, school, etc.

Wake up people, there's more to life than just these little pieces of jobs that we have.

Now cat daddy, where's the picture you were speaking of?

Back