Lions fire Mornhinweg as coach

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member

By LARRY LAGE
, AP Sports Writer

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP)
-- Marty Mornhinweg was fired as coach of the Detroit Lions on Monday after a 3-13 season, the second-worst record in the NFL.

Detroit was 5-27 under Mornhinweg over the last two seasons, including a road record of 0-16. The Lions lost their last eight games this season, and only Cincinnati finished with a worse record.

Lions chief executive Matt Millen, with the blessing of team owner William Clay Ford Sr., said on Dec. 31 that Mornhinweg would return as coach.

On Monday, Millen said Mornhinweg was fired as part of the process of moving forward.

``We have to continue to make the best decision to get this franchise going in the right direction,'' Millen said.

``I want to win, and I want to win now.'' he said.

Mornhinweg became the fifth NFL coach to be fired since the end of the season, following dismissals at Cincinnati, Dallas, Jacksonville and San Francisco.

Mornhinweg matched Chris Palmer's two-year record of futility for a new coach since the NFL went to a 16-game schedule in 1978. Palmer coached the Cleveland Browns in 1999 and 2000.

Palmer, though, was coaching an expansion team. Mornhinweg took over a team that went 9-7 and narrowly missed the playoffs.

Possible replacements include former Minnesota coach Dennis Green and former San Francisco coach Steve Mariucci, a Michigan native, who was released earlier this month.

``I spoke to Steve and I would like to speak to him again,'' Millen said.

Asked if Mariucci's availability was a factor in firing Mornhinweg, Millen said, ``It's certainly a factor, but I don't think it's a big factor or a main factor.''

Millen said he would consider minority candidates, a process mandated by the NFL this season.

Mornhinweg had never been a head coach at any level before taking the job with the Lions. He replaced Gary Moeller, who took over for Bobby Ross midway through the 2000 season

Mornhinweg was widely criticized this season for choosing to take the wind instead of the ball after the Lions won an overtime coin toss against Chicago. The Bears got the kickoff and drove to the winning field goal.

When Mornhinweg was hired he set the team's sights on a first Super Bowl trip. The Lions have had only one playoff victory since winning the 1957 NFL title.

``The bar is high,'' he said. ``The goal for this organization is to win Super Bowls.''

Mornhinweg had insisted the team's weak record stemmed from failed drafts from the previous regime, along with aging or injured players.

The past two years, the Lions have gotten rid of five one-time first-round picks -- Herman Moore, Johnnie Morton, Bryant Westbrook, Terry Fair and Aaron Gibson. The Lions also lost Ron Rice, Kurt Schulz and Stephen Boyd to career-ending injuries.

The Lions will have the second pick in April's draft, and expect to have enough salary-cap space to sign a couple free agents.

The Lions began the season excited about rookie quarterback Joey Harrington and returning downtown from suburban Pontiac for the first time since 1974 to play at Ford Field.

Harrington, the third pick in the draft, showed some flashes after he became a starter in Week 3, but he regressed before being sidelined with an irregular heartbeat in the 14th game.

Mornhinweg was widely criticized this season for choosing to take the wind instead of the ball after the Lions won an overtime coin toss against Chicago. The Bears got the kickoff and drove to the winning field goal.
He will NEVER live that down!

And he shouldn't!
:smh::smh:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
They should have fired his sas as soon as that Chicago game was over. Not only did he give them the ball in overtime, instead of declining a penalty to bring up 4th down, he accepts it and gives Chicago another 3rd down attempt which they got. Mooch think about the decision before going there.

I was a Matt Millen fan when he played. He was the quintesential Raider. But Matt's behind should be on the hot seat too.

Originally posted by EB
I was a Matt Millen fan when he played. He was the quintesential Raider. But Matt's behind should be on the hot seat too.

Where do I cosign. Did you see his rant and rave comments on the firing? He acted like he was at no fault. His azz will be gone next. Some folks are not good GM material. Millen seems to be too hotheaded to be effective. Unlike an Ozzie Newsome and some other ex ball players who have had success in that role. You have to been even keel in a position like that and not become emotional like Millen does. He approaches the job like he did when he played LB. Terry Tate office LB send help!:emlaugh:

Back