Limbaugh resigns from NFL show

I never said I was a Rush supporter. I said that he should have the freedom to state his opinion. That's all I said. What he said is a true statement to a degree....America does want to see a black quarterback succeed. Since we've been complaining about the lack of black quarterbacks in the league, the doors have been opened. The media has placed McNabb at the top of the pack. Guess what, he isn't as good as his hype is. Mike Vick and Steve McNair would be on top of that list. McNabb is doing nothing greater than Aaron Brooks or Jeff Blake. Philly has/had a great defense. McNabb is overated. He was cool at Syracuse. He's okay in the NFL. Nothing spectacular though. Some may agree...some may not. The stats don't lie this year: http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/PYDS/2003/regular Take a moment to look at them.

People shouldn't be sheep. It is okay to have a difference in opinion. I have never nor will I ever follow popular public opinion. Do I support Rush? For the record no. He is entitled to an opinion. He was hired to do his job. Now he's resigned. Can we please move on. McNabb still has his starting position.
My opinion about some of these posts/posters still remains intact also. Nothing has changed but the weather.

Originally posted by bluedog
Then what about this list Sperm?

Plummer Jake, Brunell Mark,Brees Drew,Bledsoe Drew,Chandler Chris,Collins Kerry,Couch Tim,Dilfer Trent,Flutie Doug,Frerotte Gus,Garcia Jeff,Garrett Jason,Johnson Doug,Kitna Jon etc.

Are they in the league simply because they're white? Is their success misleading to young white qb's? :rolleyes: :shame:

Maybe you are missing my point. I saying to simply ENTERTAIN his comments before you think one sided and bash him. The QBs you listed, how do their numbers stack up compared to McNabb's? Huh, does Rush have a point?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
NO

Rush has no point. You need only look at Syracuse University's FB record during McNabb's era and how they've done afterward to see the true impact of Donavan. Also, look at Phillys record BEFORE McNabb and their record afterwards. Heck, they've made it to the NFL final four two years in a row. How many other teams can say that?

Originally posted by Da_Sperm
Maybe you are missing my point. I saying to simply ENTERTAIN his comments before you think one sided and bash him. The QBs you listed, how do their numbers stack up compared to McNabb's? Huh, does Rush have a point?

Bruh I understood your point clearly but I guess I didn't clarify mines.All of these guys went serveral years not one or two, having horrible numbers and they were all painted as being great or would be great soon.

But none of them were ever attack by someone saying that the only reason they weren't cut or benched is because they're white and the media wants them to succeed, now unless somebody's been hiding under a rock the last decade or so they would know this to be true or they're not as great a sportsfan as thy may think.

We shouldnt ENTERTAIN anyone's comments that are blatent racist. If Rush had just said McNabb was overrated - and left it at that, that would have been ok - because he would have giving his own opinion - and you cant argue with someone else's opinion. But to take it further than he did - made his comments racist AND he tried to push them off as if it was a fact. And to show how little football he knows - McNabb's value to the Eagles is magnified when you look at he has zero wide outs, Duce is ok as a back but not spectacular - so it is McNabb that makes that offense go. And really to say he is overrrated is a big stretch - if he wanted to talk about his play this current season that would have been ok. Rich Gannon has struggled this year also - is he overrated? Is he getting a free pass from the CONSERVATIVE media because he is white? And please - most of the large media is CONSERVATIVE anyway - so for him to say the LIBERAL media is giving him a pass shows really how out of touch Rush is.

I was a guest on a local talk radio show here in Bham yesterday evening - and the host (white guy) wanted to say he didnt think Rush's statements were racist - it was just Rush being Rush. I told him that was a true statement because Rush IS RACIST. But the final straw on my portion of the show almost got me killed :D . My parting shot statement was : Was Bear Bryant overrated - or did he get a free pass from the media because he was a white coach that welded power - and coaches like Robinson, Gaither, in basketball Bighouse Gaines just get passed over because they didnt have the LIBERAL media?

And another thing, if he had said that on the Sunday sports reporter that would have been ok.Because that show actually goes into political commentary.

You know the show that the other big mouth got kick-off for a few days because he went to far and got personal about Jason Kidds wife.

I think that would have been the proper format and also like the previous poster said he presented it as fact. That's it in a nutshell,if he'd had said it and it had some fact to it he probably could have skated even though he may have gotten some flack, but what he was doing was clearly promoting propaganda

THis whole issue is interesting. Let me throw in my opinion. I more agree with nasty nupe and dasperm. First, I don't really like Rush but I do think he has a right to express his opinion. It was clear that it was his opinion. WE must be careful,because when the situation is reversed, we should expect the same. If we think something is influenced by racial prejiduce, we want the right to say it without be fired for it. <br><br>Now, to the actual comment, I do think Mcnabb is overrated, he is the best thing the eagles have going for them on offense, but the eagles have a sad offense. He has the athletic ablility to make a few great plays a game. But that isn't (nor shouldn't ) be the source of the controversy. His statem after that is the issue. <br>But I think most have missed the real impact of this part of his statement. He is actually calling the media racially bias. Not Mcnabb, but his fellow media members. An once they figured it out, they did not like it. As much as I don't like Rush, I do think there is some merit to his crude accusation. Many of media still hilite the "wonderful athletic ability" of black quarterbacks. Even if in a positive way, it is still racially biased. Rush makes his living by choosing his words carefully And choosing words to get the highest emotiall response from those who allow him to get to them. <br>I don't think he should have been fired because of this statement about the media, but I don't think he knows much about football and that's a good reason right there.<br>It seems as the current political climate is if you say something that is perceived as good about race, it is OK, if you say something that is not positive, you will get blasted. I think in the long run, that will turn more against the issue than good it will do. Firing him will not change how Rushes feels nor anyone that thinks like him. <br>The day we should all hope for, is when one asshole makes a comment like that, we look and laugh and keep going, and just say, "that his opinion, eveyone is entilled to one".

I don't know about the rest but I clearly got it and that's why I thought it to be so ludicrous. The media doesn't hype black qb's anymore than they did the list of white qb's I presented.

And again qb's have always gotten more credit than they deserve and more blame than they deserve also. Just my HO

Again his opinion went out of the window once he said "what we have here is a social issue". He didnt say "I THINK we have a social issue" - he said "what we have here is a social issue" - he presented that point as if it were a fact - not his opinion. If he had left that part alone and just said that "I think McNabb is overrated" that would again just be opinion - and if he said that part and ended it at that point, cool.

All of these people talking about 1st Amendment and free speech - thats fine. No one is trying to take away his free speech. I dont think we (African Americans) try to take way ANYONE's free speech. But what we do is make you accountable after u make assinine statements. There is a responsibility that comes with the things you say, do and write. If you have no problem saying things - then dont have a problem when you are called out on it. And the other thing that was so sorry about this was ESPN wouldnt make Rush respond on their station - rather let him do it on his show to boost his ratings - and letting him off easy with him saying he does not do interviews. How can you spew such garbage about any and everything - but then you dont want to have to answer for the things you say?

No one called Charles Barkley racist 6 years ago when he said if Larry Bird were black he'd be just an average player.

I hate Rush Limbaugh. But what he said wasnt racist. Tell me times havent changed when there is so much contraversy over a white dude sayin that someone is overrated because he is black. Hey, 35 years ago that statement is much like an every day occurance. I dont agree with that statement and he could have left Mcnabb's skin color out of it and still made a similiar point. But sayin a person is outright racist and in the KKK is really pushin it. I dont know why so much bullsh*t is being made out of this anyway. I dont even know why the hell Rush is giving his opinion on sports. Stick to what ya know. But what he said wasnt a racist comment. Like it or not. EVERYONE is overreacting to this crap!

Originally posted by KRANKin98
No one called Charles Barkley racist 6 years ago when he said if Larry Bird were black he'd be just an average player.

I hate Rush Limbaugh. But what he said wasnt racist. Tell me times havent changed when there is so much contraversy over a white dude sayin that someone is overrated because he is black. Hey, 35 years ago that statement is much like an every day occurance. I dont agree with that statement and he could have left Mcnabb's skin color out of it and still made a similiar point. But sayin a person is outright racist and in the KKK is really pushin it. I dont know why so much bullsh*t is being made out of this anyway. I dont even know why the hell Rush is giving his opinion on sports. Stick to what ya know. But what he said wasnt a racist comment. Like it or not. EVERYONE is overreacting to this crap!

First of all nobody is reacting, espn has acted!!Now what we are doing is discussing it.

Not slamming your opinion but i'm honestly curious what is it about this statement that doesn't help you get it?

Then what about this list........

Plummer Jake, Brunell Mark,Brees Drew,Bledsoe Drew,Chandler Chris,Collins Kerry,Couch Tim,Dilfer Trent,Flutie Doug,Frerotte Gus,Garcia Jeff,Garrett Jason,Johnson Doug,Kitna Jon etc.

Are they in the league simply because they're white? Is their success misleading to young white qb's?

Your honest answer?

First of all people did jump all over not only Charles Barkley but also Dennis Rodman and Isaiah Thomas for saying the things they did say about Bird. Secondly they are stupid because as a white man Bird stole the ball from Isaiah Thomas sealing a win in an important playoff game - as a white man Bird still was able to bust a 3 in many a negro's eyes. I didnt like the Celtics - cant stand the city of Boston - but the Celtics were there year in and year out in Bird's prime. Those are facts - not opinions.

And 35 years ago or not - times have not changed that much so that one can just say anything they want to say and not be held accountable. Is it racist for Jesse Jackson (not asking whether you like him or not) to say that Croom should have been considered for the Alabama job - or even that Univ of Alabama should hire an african american? Well white america says it is racist of him.

Here is my response on the comments about Larry Bird. I am sticking by them. BTW I too feel that Bird was a great player. When Isiah made those comments a lot of Black athletes backed him.

Originally posted by EB
Before I get started, let me say that I hated the Boston Celtics passionately. The game seven in 1984 where Bird did what he wanted against the Lakers was painful to watch. But in 1985 my heart sang with joy with the Lakers won the championship on the Celtics home court.

But while I hated the Celtics, I had no choice but to respect them. I would not mind having Bird on my team.

ANYWAY, there is one thing about that statement that needs to be stated. IT IS TRUE! Consider these. If a Black player did not pass like Magic or fly through the air like Connie Hawkins, Dr. J, or Michael Jordan, then something was suppose to be wrong with them. In running sprints if a Black player did not run a 4.3-4.5 40-yard dash, then something was said to be wrong with them. It was felt like the Black players were "dogging" it or being lazy.

Consider this. Bernad King suffered through a lot of knee injuries in his career. Yet, he fought back, strenthened it, and returned to play well. But King had trouble making the all-star team. He did not have a sky hook like Kareem. He did not have passes like Magic. He did not fly through the air like Jordan or Dr. J did. But But because of his non-flashy play, he was underrated.

Isiah Thomas, Michael Jordan and Hakeem Olajuwon had a lot of flash to their games. But they were also intellgent players. Isiah is in the hall of fame while Jordan and Olajuwon will eventually be there. Tim Duncan, a two-time finals MVP, is an intelligent player and is on his way to the hall of fame. But tell me. How flashy is his game?

Originally posted by lilC
Trashing Limbaugh for his comments is actually a sign of significant progress. There was a time that you couldn't say anything in your defense against a white man. And now you can pop him in is eye.:lmao:
What happens to a bully when someone stands up to him? He has to look for someone else to bully or he has to get stronger. And if he can't get stronger then he is defeated. Not to mention Limbaugh doesn't know jack shat about sports anyway.:lmao:
Donovan McNabb overrated? Where was Philly when he WASN'T there? And that's from a fans perspective....not considering race.

LMAO!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Originally posted by majiksity
First of all people did jump all over not only Charles Barkley but also Dennis Rodman and Isaiah Thomas for saying the things they did say about Bird

Yeah, but Charles wasn't pressured to resign (although Rush says it was his decision to resign, but there is also heresay that Tom Jackson said if Rush didn't resign he would. that's just heresay, i have no articles to back that up,, just commentary from talk radio on the matter.). I contend, unequivically, Rush shouldn't have resigned.

If I was him, I wouldn't have resigned. I can understand the increasing frustration of white people in general on this whole matter of double standards when it comes to controversial remarks. Black people are the most "outspoken" group, other than gays, in the U.S. We get away with almost any and everything we say. We, in combination with the PC movement, interlectually/psychologically "bully" other groups with our "oppressed" pass we've been given since the 60s.

The white people should start taking stands and not backing down just like black people. (Most white southerners do and that's why they are so ostrisized by mainstream media. If you ask me, I'd say, ironically, native southern whites and black folk are very much alike in the way that we are quick to react and say exactly what we feel.) Rush shouldn't have resigned. I would have liked to have seen them invited Jim Brown, Tiger Woods, Micheal Jordan, he!! McNabb, Dungie, etc on for an ESPN forum on this whole issue.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Some Whites need to learn to be more sensitive. If Rush said that about a Jewish player, he would have taken even more heat. There is a reason that Jews are not attacked in the media as much as Blacks. They are more sensitive than we are. They have the money to back up their attacks on who criticizes or attacks them. Look at the heat that Mel Gibson is taking for his movie.

Originally posted by Bartram

The white people should start taking stands and not backing down just like black people. (Most white southerners do and that's why they are so ostrisized by mainstream media. If you ask me, I'd say, ironically, native southern whites and black folk are very much alike in the way that we are quick to react and say exactly what we feel.) Rush shouldn't have resigned. I would have liked to have seen them invited Jim Brown, Tiger Woods, Micheal Jordan, he!! McNabb, Dungie, etc on for an ESPN forum on this whole issue.

Something like that may happen. But do not expect an appearance from Jordan or Tiger.

Originally posted by majiksity
I was a guest on a local talk radio show here in Bham yesterday evening - and the host (white guy) wanted to say he didnt think Rush's statements were racist - it was just Rush being Rush. I told him that was a true statement because Rush IS RACIST. But the final straw on my portion of the show almost got me killed :D . My parting shot statement was : Was Bear Bryant overrated - or did he get a free pass from the media because he was a white coach that welded power - and coaches like Robinson, Gaither, in basketball Bighouse Gaines just get passed over because they didnt have the LIBERAL media?

Was this the Paul Finebaum show?

Originally posted by Bartram
Yeah, but Charles wasn't pressured to resign (although Rush says it was his decision to resign, but there is also heresay that Tom Jackson said if Rush didn't resign he would. that's just heresay, i have no articles to back that up,, just commentary from talk radio on the matter.). I contend, unequivically, Rush shouldn't have resigned.

If I was him, I wouldn't have resigned. I can understand the increasing frustration of white people in general on this whole matter of double standards when it comes to controversial remarks. Black people are the most "outspoken" group, other than gays, in the U.S. We get away with almost any and everything we say. We, in combination with the PC movement, interlectually/psychologically "bully" other groups with our "oppressed" pass we've been given since the 60s.

Look when we make comments about white people as you say, it is understood in general that we're not talking about "ALL" white people we're talking about racist.

To keep that intentional confusion down I try to always make my statements as such by referring to those as such (racist) unless I'm talking about a certain person as in rush case.

Factor in when we speak about racist we aren't trying to exclude anybody and are 98% of the time reacting and defending ourselves from attacks, so to say we get away with saying anything is just the crap they(racist ) want you to believe so they whine and cry victim.

Example a white tennis player criticize the media about given one of the Williams sister to much attention, was she attack by the media or anybody else for it?...."NO"

I'll submit to you the reason she wasn't are two folds, 1. she wasn't known for being a racist 2. it was true.

So you guys can fall into that intellectual bs about freedom of speech if you want but all your doing is fallen right into these freaking closet Nazi's plan and that is getting you to believe their bs so you keep your mouth shut.

It's not rocket science all you have to do is look at the source.

Btw what Charles does during NBA time is done tongue in cheek and they know it. Why do you think so many people tune in or do you think it's all black people?

Beside it's kind of hard for them to make him out a racist and he's married to a white woman don't you think, or did ya'll forget about that little tidbit?

The tennis player was Martina Hingis. Early in the Williams' sisters' careers Hingis dominated them. But then Venus and Serena started to beat her. Martina was mad that she started to lose and began to whine. But in essence I would have to...

Originally posted by bluedog
Look when we make comments about white people as you say, it is understood in general that we're not talking about "ALL" white people we're talking about racist.

To keep that intentional confusion down I try to always make my statements as such by referring to those as such (racist) unless I'm talking about a certain person as in rush case.

Factor in when we speak about racist we aren't trying to exclude anybody and are 98% of the time reacting and defending ourselves from attacks, so to say we get away with saying anything is just the crap they(racist ) want you to believe so they whine and cry victim.

Example a white tennis player criticize the media about given one of the Williams sister to much attention, was she attack by the media or anybody else for it?...."NO"

I'll submit to you the reason she wasn't are two folds, 1. she wasn't known for being a racist 2. it was true.

So you guys can fall into that intellectual bs about freedom of speech if you want but all your doing is fallen right into these freaking closet Nazi's plan and that is getting you to believe their bs so you keep your mouth shut.

It's not rocket science all you have to do is look at the source.

Btw what Charles does during NBA time is done tongue in cheek and they know it. Why do you think so many people tune in or do you think it's all black people?

Beside it's kind of hard for them to make him out a racist and he's married to a white woman don't you think, or did ya'll forget about that little tidbit?

cosign this.

Back