Lightningbug's Jazz and Blues Review ... the birth of the cool ...

Anita Baker hits the road this summer for her first concert dates in over 12 years (with the exception of a few select appearances in 2002).

Baker is touring in support of her highly-acclaimed new album MY EVERYTHING (BLUE NOTE), which NEWSWEEK called "a rapturous return...an Anita Baker album in her classic mode" (9/13/04).

MY EVERYTHING debuted at #4 on the Billboard Top 200 and earned two Grammy nominations, including best R&B album. The new single "Serious" has been burning up R&B radio charts, and is at #20 on the Billboard Adult R&B charts this week.

R&B star Babyface guests when she performs in the following cities:
June 25/ Los Angeles/ Hollywood Bowl
July 16/ Detroit/ The Palace
July 23/ New York/ Jones Beach
July 30 / Chicago/ United Center

Thanks for the info...

Personally, I was disappointed with her latest cd. :(

I rank it at the bottom of her album list right next to Songstress (even though that album DID have the gem "Angel" on it ;) )

Nonetheless, I would STILL love to see Anita do her thang in concert! :nod:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Some fusion thoughts ...

Herbie Hancock Mr. Hands (1980) - The seventies began very creatively for HH, first with the space funk Mwandishi albums follwed by the better-known Head Hunters period that firmly eastablished Herbie's pre-eminance in synthesized instrumental funk.

But as the decade wore on, the music got less and less creative until it devolved into generic disco. Right at the end of this era, though, Hancock re-asserts control to generate an electric jazz album with every song distinguishable and original. Jaco Pastorious puts in meaningful contributions on two tracks, while VSOP mates Ron Carter and Tony Williams guests on a nice island flavored tune appropriately titled "Calypso". Harvey Mason's tricky rhythm on "Shiftless Shuffle" is a reminder of the genius he bestowed on Head Hunters seven years earlier.

But "Just Around The Corner" has got to rank up there with one of the funkiest tunes ever to come from Hancock, the bass/drum progression is the very definition of funk.

Jeff Lorber Fusion Water Sign (1979) Smooth jazz enthusiasts are familiar with the conservatory-trained keyboardist for his consistent offerings withtin that genre for the last twelve years or so.

Lorber actually begun recording in the mid-seventies and was at the time very much infuenced by the fusion giants of the time, such as Return To Forever, George Duke and Hancock. While he could never be considered an innovator, Lorber was at times a damned good imitator and improvisor, especially early in his career.

Thus, Water Sign has the best thumb-popping-bass beats of the time combined with creative compositions and neatly packaged jams. Cameos by jazz heavies like Freddie Hubbard and Joe Farrell didn't hurt, either.

Grover Washington, Jr. Live At The Bijou (1977) At the height of his pre-Winelight popularity, Washington cuts a live date in his home town of Philly and amply demonstrates that the allure of his sound wasn't entirely dependent on producer Creed Taylor's studio magic.

Not a lot of big names playing in his band, but it's tighter than a drum. Yeah, this too is very much a period record, but it still grooves with a vengence. I mean, how can you sit still through songs titled "Funkfoot" and "Lock It In The Pocket"? Oh, and in case you were wondering, he does play his classic "Mr. Magic" here, too.

The Crusaders The Second Crusade (1973) The rekindled interest of the funk-jazz of 25-30 years ago has cast a spotlight squarely on one of its best performers: the classic Wayne Henderson/Larry Carlton configuration of the Crusaders.

The Second Crusade is perhaps their finest because at this point their songwriting was strong enough to dispense with the pop covers that was a feature of earlier albums and the weren't yet too far removed from jazz that they traded in their chops for radio play. "A Search For Soul" is one of the earliest indications of Joe Sample's composing prowess, while "Tomorrow Where Are You" manages to pull off a compelling one-chord groove.

"Don't Let It Get You Down" is the vintage Gulf Coast R&B these Houston boys were best at. This import is a hard record to find, but 1974's Southern Comfort and 1976's Those Southern Knights make fine substitutes.

David Sanborn Upfront (1992) While no Coltrane or Rollins, Sanborn must have the most instantly recognizable sax of all...and it's a sound that fits in just about any setting. But IMO, it fits best in the soulful kind of R&B music that is the unambiguous mission of this record.

While longtime producer/bassist Marcus Miller helped to craft a heavily synthesized funk sound for Sanborn throughout the prior decade, he puts the altoist/sopranoist in a more organic setting here that doesn't sound so much of the time, providing us instead with some timeless grooves. Some decent guitarists on here, too: Hiram Bullock, Cornell Dupree and Eric Clapton.

On August 30, Smithsonian Folkways Recordings will release Snooks Eaglin's 1959 acoustic blues album 'New Orleans Street Singer' on CD for the first time, adding seven previously unreleased tracks. This album showcases the unique Eaglin in a rare, solo acoustic mode, illuminating his idiosyncratic, passionate style. As legendary as his guitar work has made him, his vocals elevate the performances to another level. Blues historian Pete Welding wrote, "The heartrending melancholy of his singing must be heard to be believed."

Liner-note writer and blues scholar Elijah Wald contends that Eaglin's power lies in "the way the voice and the guitar work in tandem, one filled with sensitive, warm introspection, the other commenting with biting verve and humor. Alone with his guitar, he can shift the dynamics from note to note, control every breath and filigree, and shape intimate, improvisatory masterpieces."

The 25-track 'New Orleans Street Singer' includes songs that are still influencing contemporary music, including "Careless Love," the title track of a 2004 Madeleine Peyroux album, "Saint James Infirmary," recently interpreted by the White Stripes, and "Walking Blues," which Eric Clapton and The Grateful Dead have each covered.

The album also features "High Society," which is up there with the great guitar instrumentals of all time; "Mama, Don't Tear My Clothes," a musical ancestor of "Baby, Let Me Follow You Down" and Amos Milburn's "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer." Eaglin's influences range from Jimmy Rodgers to Django Reinhadrt and from flamenco to Charles Brown.

A New Orleans legend, Eaglin has shared the stage with a who's who of fellow Crescent City innovators. Only 22 years old when this album was recorded, Eaglin was already a veteran of several rhythm and blues bands. Though Fird "Snooks" Eaglin, Jr. was blind from 19 months, his father gave him a guitar for his sixth birthday and taught him to play. Legendary producer Allen Toussaint would dub him "the human jukebox" for his incredible ability to remember songs. Eaglin made a series of notable electric recordings for Imperial Records in the early 1960s, and he stills plays funky rhythm and
blues regularly at New Orleans' Mid City Lanes.

I have been digging "Amongst The People: Live at The House of Tribes," a superb new live album from Wynton Marsalis - which was released on August 30 on Blue Note Records.

It was on a chilly December night that Marsalis and his quintet settled in for the first of what has become an annual winter performance at The House of Tribes, a funky and intimate community-run theater on the Lower East Side of Manhattan that also plays host to theater, dance, astrology, photography exhibits, and more. With the recorders on, Marsalis led his quintet through a blistering set of hot, swingin' jazz.

The outstanding acoustics and warm, welcoming audience found at the House of Tribes made it an ideal setting to record Marsalis' first live jazz album since 1999's Live At The Village Vanguard boxed set. In the liner notes by Stanley Crouch, Marsalis comments that "playing at the House of Tribes is like being at home, back in that environment of! pure dedication, the kind of feeling that makes you want to become an artist."

Marsalis is joined by longtime collaborators Wessell "Warmdaddy" Anderson on alto saxophone and Eric Lewis on piano. Marsalis notes that Wess "is always ready to play and spread that good feeling. That's why musicians and listeners love him." Marsalis also praises Lewis who, in his words, "has developed such an original style, and...can do so many different things."

Veteran musicians Kengo Nakamura (bass), and Joe Farnsworth (drums) round out the lineup. Robert Rucker and Orlando Q. Rodriguez sit in on percussion on the last track of the album, "2nd Line."

Track listing:
1. Green Chimneys (T. Monk)
2. Just Friends (J. Klenner/S. Lewis)
3. You Don't Know What Love Is (G. De Paul/ D. Raye)
4. Donna Lee (C. Parker)
5. What Is This Thing Called Love (C. Porter)
6. 2nd Line (P. Barbarin)

Check out Blue Note's Digital Player to hear select tracks or watch video footage from the House of Tribes:
http://www.bluenote.com/marsalis

The format is a bit of a departure for Marsalis, who explains: ?Most of the records I?ve made have been group records, even when we recorded live,? he says. ?We tour the world [and] just play with people we?ve never played with before. The audience loves the music and they just come and swing. I think it was just good to show people playing, not just being conceptual.?

Kind of a departure. But I'm into reggae, as well ...

In the year Bob Marley would have turned 60, the past, present and future of his music are celebrated not only with the first Bob Marley & The Wailers greatest hits package to include both his early sides and his Island Records hits but also a new recording and two new remixes.

Along with 17 vintage tracks, Africa Unite: The Singles Collection, to be released Nov. 8, spotlights "Slogans," the first new official Marley track released in more than a decade. It is believed Marley recorded the song in a Miami bedroom in 1979. The tapes were kept at Marley's mother's house and last year the reggae legend's sons Stephen and Ziggy revisited the acoustic demo. In 2005, Stephen overdubbed the tracks with other instruments, including guitar by Eric Clapton. Stephen and Ziggy produced "Slogans" specifically for this release.

Another new recording is a remix of "Africa Unite," whose original was heard on the 1979 album Survival. The song is presented here in an anthemic remix by will.i.am of The Black Eyed Peas, who was personally invited to create the remix by Rita Marley, Bob's wife. Also new is the Ashley Beedle Remix of "Get Up, Stand Up Vs. Jamrock," a mash-up of Bob's classic and "Welcome To Jamrock," the 2005 hit from youngest son Damian.

Africa Unite: The Singles Collection commemorates Marley's life on record just as the 2005 Africa Unite concert in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, on his 60th birthday (February 6) commemorated it on stage. Africa Unite: The Singles Collection includes the early classics "Soul Rebel," "Lively Up Yourself," "Trenchtown Rock" and "Concrete Jungle" alongside the Island hits "I Shot The Sheriff," "Get Up, Stand Up," "No Woman, No Cry," "Exodus," "Jamming," "Could You Be Loved," "One Love/People Get Ready," "Roots, Rock, Reggae," "Waiting In Vain," "The Sun Is Shining," "Is This Love," "Three Little Birds" and "Buffalo Soldier."

Also issued is the DVD premiere of Live! At The Rainbow in a two-disc package that adds to the 1986 concert homevideo more than 20 minutes of exclusive interviews and footage recently shot in Kingston, Jamaica, of a visit to The Bob Marley Museum and Tuff Gong Studios, plus the award-winning 1988 documentary Caribbean Nights: The Bob Marley Story. The latter includes interviews with family and friends, and rare archival footage, and has been augmented for this edition by 20-plus minutes of exclusive interviews and new video of Marley's birthplace and final resting place, Nine Mile.

For the 1977 concert at London's Rainbow Theatre, the group performed quintessential versions of "No Woman, No Cry," "Lively Up Yourself," "Rebel Music" and more. For its DVD debut, Live! At The Rainbow's video has been digitally enhanced and its audio digitally remastered in both 5.1 Surround Sound and stereo.
Marley's stature in music grows with each passing year. Africa Unite: The Singles Collection and Live! At The Rainbow continue his legacy.

Anita Baker's holiday wish, and I love this, as she released 'CHRISTMAS FANTASY,' her soulful first holiday album:
"This album is my gift to moms and dads who basically help Santa all season long. Once the young ones are in bed, they can have a glass of wine, put this on and relax."

Exactly.

I like the island-flavored "I'll Be Home for Christmas," and the New Orleans beats of "Frosty's Rag." There's also a fun version of "Frosty the Snowman."

People Magazine praised the album, saying "Anita Baker delights fans with jazzy arrangements of traditional fare...but the real gift comes from such tracks as "Frosty's Rag," a rollicking take on the children's classic" (12/12/05).

Baker, a wife and mom of two herself who felt a void for holiday music that was not the traditional fare, said: "When my husband and I finish being 'Santa' and put the kids to bed, we would always try to find a selection of music to help put us in a grown-up relaxed holiday mood. There will always be traditional favorites, but I wanted something more in line with what I love to listen to-r&b and jazz."

Critics have been raving about the album as well-here is a sampling:

"This is one for a cold winter night in front of the fire, and Baker supplies the spark. Her burnished vocals heat up the ballads and put plenty of sass in the bouncier tunes.' Randy Lewis, LA Times, 12/1/05

"OK, that opening number alone, "Frosty's Rag (Frosty the Snowman)" is worth the price of admission. Ms. Baker cuts loose, turning jazzy and oh so soulful. The rest is more like the Anita you know, classy and subdued." Mario Tarradell, Dallas Morning News, 12/5/05

"Four stars-There's something magical about those signature smoky vocals belting out familiar Christmas classics. Anita Baker, Detroit's soulful homegirl, made her Christmas wish -- and subsequently, ours, too -- come true when she enlisted a dream team of musicians and producers to create a holiday album for the grown folk. In "Christmas Fantasy," she runs through wintertime staples like "I'll Be Home for Christmas" and "My Favorite Things," firing up the tunes with her jazzy pipes." Kelley L. Carter, Detroit Free Press, 12/4/05

"Anita Baker's 'Christmas Fantasy'(Blue Note) tops the list of R&B titles, primarily because it extends her comeback after a decade away. Every bit as loose and rich and happily out-of-step as last year's "My Everything," its stretched-out cuts find Baker's husky yet floating scat singing accompanied by such aces as George Duke, Larry Carlton, Joe Sample and the Yellowjackets." Ben Wener, Orange County Register, 12/2/05

"We don't hear often enough from Baker...her takes on classics such as "Frosty the Snowman," reimagined as "Frosty's Rag," are personal, lively and different from any other versions. The new songs are outstanding. One of the best Christmas albums of the year." Patrick MacDonald, Seattle Times, 12/7/05

""Frosty's Rag (Frosty the Snowman)," the husky-voiced Baker shows off her jazzy side to luscious effect on her "Christmas Fantasy" (Blue Note) album. On the leadoff track she takes "Frosty" on a frolicsome trip to New Orleans, giving the overdone novelty song a makeover no Beverly Hills plastic surgeon could improve on." Larry Katz, Boston Herald, 12/2/05

Guy asked me today, talking about jazz: Is there anybody any good anymore?

As a popularizer, there is no question it's Wynton Marsalis. Not since the hot-house feeling of "J Mood" did he aspire to the grade on innovating, though.

So, I'll get out on the limb: Pianist Brad Mehldau. His first recording, with Brian Blade and Christian McBride, sounds like Bill Evans if he woulda lived. (I can give no higher praise to a jazz pianist.) And he follows that to its logical extension; each record has gotten better.

I also immensely appreciate Joshua Redman. But I feel stronger about Mehldau. I saw them both a couple of times, and Brad just knocked my socks off.

Many of the other great records of the past 10 years were actually older cats making good again -- Joe Henderson's stupendous Verve comeback, Charlie Haden's easy LA stuff ... and the single most underappreciated horn player still breathing, alto ace Frank Morgan.

If you only buy one obscure jazz record from the last decade, make it the one with Morgan, Kenny Burrell, Ron Carter and Grady Tate called "Listen to the Dawn," on Polygram. You'll notice there is no pianist here; a sweet, somber ride.

Benny Carter made some good albums too, and with the young ones.

My buddy interrupted me: You're still talking about old dudes.

He had me there.

nickderiso said:
I have been digging "Amongst The People: Live at The House of Tribes," a superb new live album from Wynton Marsalis

House of Tribes is outstanding!

I love this CD

*Glad to be able to catch another LBug jazz thread

i also was glad to have this interesting discussion forwarded to me

Dr Westi said:
Also was glad to have this interesting discussion forwarded to me

Great thoughts there on Cannonball Adderley, a favorite of mine; but also Joe Zawinul (who played on some of Miles' most important electric records); Arturo Sandoval (a Dizzy disciple) from Hassan, and even a mention of my man ... Doc Cheatham, an underappreciated New Orleans LEGEND.

Been heavy into that vibe, as Mardi Gras draws to a close. Went with the obvious, at least to start ... early Louis Armstrong -- but also early Pete Fountain.

Fountain: The most excellent Decca release "Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans," a two-disc set. All you will ever want, if hot Dixieland is your bag. Forty songs, forty reasons to love Pete, from 1959. ("Pete Fountain Day" from the same year is my second choice.)

Your best bets on Armstrong will, of course, be earlier. But the recommended compilation is recent: The "Complete Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings" (Columbia/Legacy), remastered and issued in 2000 is the best jumping-off point. Hot, indeed.

nickderiso said:
We're going to start -- where else -- by talking about Miles Davis. I'd like to get off the beaten path, though ... and dig into some of the more unsung albums ... Here are five that you may not have heard lately -- or at all. If not, avail yourself, baby!:
4. "Doo-Bop," from 1991. Miles never stopped shedding sidemen -- and skins.
If you could follow him from cool to kinda-classical to modal to hot through to a rocking, then ambient "In A Silent Way," then you had to follow him into pop. (I liked "Time After Time," for what it was trying to do.) What that means is you understand the artistry, without getting bogged down in the labels.
For Miles, there must then have followed this, a hip hop excursion -- the next natural outgrowth. Davis said he wanted to make the kind of music he heard coming from passing cars when he opened the windows of his home. As such, all of these permutations were required.
I liked the record on these terms. It's not a great hip hop effort. However, it is -- coming from a guy who played nonet cool jazz along side the likes of Shorty Rogers in the 1940s -- ever forward looking, ever hopeful and ever entertaining.

Got a PM about this initial post, and wanted to offer some further thoughts on my inclusion of "Doo Bop" in a list of underrated Miles recordings.

On balance, efforts to integrate hip hop with jazz have been largely unsuccessful -- outside of simply lifting killer, killer Blue Note riffs (ala Hancock's "Cantaloupe Island" by Us3).

Of course, going further back, some people think the same thing about the rock-and-jazz marriage.

"Doo Bop" is a side trip, I'll grant you. Perhaps only worth mentioning if for nothing more than those darned completists. But I am one.

The minuses are these: Not only did Miles die before he could fully explore the idea, then disassemble it again (as he had so brilliantly with rock), he died before he even finished the record. And that rapper is subpar.

The pluses are these: Miles showed that, even nearing the end of his creative cycle, he still had the nerve to risk failure. And there are some flashes of nascent brilliants, even in a half-finished project. Might have been a very interesting new phase, but in the end we'll never know.

Sweet Sam's lasting legacy
http://daslob.blogspot.com/

Throat cancer got Sam Myers today, all the sadder since he was nothing if not this throaty, memorable blues singer and harpist.

A towering, nearly blind seer, Myers (almost always with Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets as his accompaniment) used to practically burn down the stage at a club I once owned, smoking both literally and figuratively. Then we'd talk, and he'd smoke some more.

Who knew what those cigarettes were doing to him?

Still, you couldn't have convinced me that he wouldn't beat it.

They didn't call him "Sweet Sam" because of that off-stage demeanor. He was tough, hard-to-crack, inscrutible at first. Underneath the brim of that ever-present porkpie hat, though, was a generous, if sturdy and independent soul. He might call you a familiar curse word, but only out of respect.

Sam was not just old school. He was the principal of the old school.

He'd spent the 1960s and '70s working saloons and nightclubs along the legendary Southern chitlin circuit, trying to cash in on some early success he'd had as a drummer and sometime-harmonica player with Elmore James from 1952-63. He'd also wrote a terrific debut tune during that period called "Sleeping in the Ground" that was later recorded by Blind Faith (featuring Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood) as well as Robert Cray.

Sam finally hit it big with the Texas-swinging neo-bluesman Funderburgh, winning nine Handy Awards - including best harmonica player in 1988 and vocalist in 1989 - over a thrilling 20-year, nine-album collaboration. The partnership produced some of the most important blues records of the period, including "My Love Is Here to Stay" (actually a remake of the B-side of his initial hit single) and "Tell Me What I Want To Hear," both on Black Top.

One of my favorite remaining blues harpists, Myers had been fighting his disease since December 2004. His last album with Anson was "Which Way is Texas?" from 2003; he followed that with a well-received solo release the following year, appropriately titled "Coming from the Old School."

One of Myers' final performances came in August when, during a benefit concert featuring blues stars like Delbert McClinton and Jimmie Vaughan, Sam jumped up for a brief solo.

By the end, though, he couldn't even sing - Myers had his larynx removed in an effort to save his life last April at the Mayo Clinic - and that's perhaps the toughest thing to square up. He was a man not just of larger-than-life stature, but of gritty and profound voice. Sam Myers was always both timeless and new.

And rarely, if ever quiet.

Still, even in silent passage, Myers leaves this place richer for those moments when he wailed and cried and moaned, when he laughed and shook and groaned. His was one sweet gift.

A native of Laurel, Miss., and resident of Dallas, Myers is to be honored with services in both Texas and Mississippi. Memorials will then follow, in their own way, on the winds that move across the tops of these levees and into our fertile turnrows. Might be a gathering summer storm, probably - or else some as-yet-unknown disciple, down in the mood, blowing for all he's got.

Either way, listen and you'll hear Sam. I already do.

Back