Life in Prison or The Death Penalty...Moral or Economic Issue

Dr. Sweet NUPE

Should we look at these two issues from the economical point of view or the moral point of view?

For instance if a man/woman is sentenced to life in Prison without the chance for parole.....this individual has used up all of their appeals.........should this become an issue of economics. Meaning should we execute this individual?

For me it's a moral/religious issue. I am not for the death penalty under any circumstance.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I agree with JSTUS

JSTUS:
For me it's a moral/religious issue. I am not for the death penalty under any circumstance.

DSN,

We'll never have an accurate say in how our tax money is being spent or how much. "L" we have to pay to come into the world, pay to live here and pay to die. Money is just what it is money.

Dr. Sweetnupe:
Someone who is jail for life should just be executed to eliminate the cost factor.......

I don't agree.:tdown:

You're no better than the person who is in the electric chair or lying on the lethal injection table if you agree to the death penalty. You're taking a life just like they did. If...they actually did it.

What if that person is innocent?
That person is dead "for life."
You can't correct that.

It's human nature to be angry and to want to have revenge on a person or persons who commit crimes against our fellow man or love ones. That still doesn't give me or you the right to take their life, regardless of how much it costs.

What really kills me is the same people who are for the death penalty are against abortion. :idea: "Use the "cost" "elimination" scenario there.:rolleyes:

God is the only one I know as the CEO of life and death.
He gave it and he can take it away. He brough us into this world, and he can take us out.

People, remember that's what we are (sinners) need to stop assuming God's role and live His will!:)

I am split on the Death Penalty issue. On one hand, what does it solve. The pain of losing someone will always be there. Many families are happy to see the convicted put to death, it brings them closure...but it doesn't bring the person back.

On the other hand, each state that supports the Death Penalty has laws. If someone is convicted of a crime in which the Death Penalty can be applied then that is the law and it needs to be followed.

If someone is in Prison for life without the possibility of Parole, then let them rot. If the crime does not warrant the death penalty then they shouldn't be executed. Prison is an economic system and without inmates the system cannot function.

*If you want to see some interesting details about Death Row, go to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice web site and go to the section on Death Row...it has everything from scheduled executions to final meal requests.

I am pro death penalty. The problem that I have is that there are cases where the guilt is obvious and these cases drag out for years. The people in those situations need to get the chair within months of conviction. There are other cases where there is doubt and the appeal process is a good institution.

I never have and never will be for the death penalty. This country has a HISTORY of killing way more minorities that did NOT do it than the majorities that DID do it. And we all know that truth is stranger than fiction. So even though things appear one way they may not be.

When the police stop framing people and the judges stop giving out unreasonable sentences, I say avoid the death penalty.

I also don't think people should be put away for life wasting our money. LEt them work it off. Put them in an isolated camp and work to produce something. Letting them sit around figuring out ways to kill the guards doesn't make sense. I mean what does a "lifer" have to lose. YOu only have one life to give and you already know you won't get out.

I don't know, but it seems to me that the segment of the population most discriminated against (black males) are also the ones believing in the most severe punishments.

What's up with that?

That's what I'm talk'n about!

If you've been sentenced make it a sentence that will make them wish they were dead for their crimes if what they did was so bad.

Don't give them a lights out hour.
They're arse should be subjected to 2 hours of sleep a day.
The rest of the time they should be laboring for the good of all our tax dollars. Death is the easy way out.

God is going to take care of that end, all on His own. He doesn't need our help.

Make the criminals wish that they were dead instead of living out a life sentence with cable, 3 meals a day, healthcare (working or not):mad:, Cigarettes..hmmmphhhh, :rolleyes:books, education, hmmmphhhh. They gave up all those rights. Let them live without the luxuries of life that the normal everyday citizen would have or be able to have.

In theory, I support the idea of the death penalty. I don't see any religous or moral problem with government killing a person for crimes that warrant it.

In application, the death penalty is horrible. All too often they are killing folk that didn't commit the crime they are being killed for. All too often they are killing blacks at a much higher rate than whites for the same crime. The system got problems, and until they can run it fairly, I say shut it down.

We Need To Do This.....

First, we need to guarantee everyone thorough justice, complete with DNA testing, carbon-dating, psyche evaluations, whatever's necessary. And only after the complete, un-biased trial, and a mandatory appeal on convictions, should we then sentence the Defendant to death.

Then, instead of sending him to prison (the Hilton) for several years before the actual execution date, we need to send all condemned prisoners to a compound or reservation (ala Indian Reservation) setting. Make the compound totally self-sufficient. Stock it with cattle or livestock or other wild game. And let the men 'fend' for themselves. Provide absolutely no health care, no modern convieniences, no nothing, Let them live a 'spartan' life. We could go out in Utah somewhere and setup a 1,000 acre 'park'. Put an electrically-charged fence around it (ala Jurassic Park) and let 'em be. And once a year or so, go check to see who's alive and who's dead. And in addition to the livestock and other sources of food, be sure to import several other pedators. Wolves, tigers, lions, hyenas, etc. Basically what we'd do is setup a wildlife preserve in this country, like they have in Africa. And while it may cost several million to setup and get started, after that, it would virtually be cost-free, except for the monthly electric bill.

Put 'em out there, and leave 'em. No visitors, no tools, no nothing. Let 'em fend for themselves.

Taylor Made,

What makes you think Death Row is the Hilton??? Man them cells are so damn small. They don't get the same perks that general population gets. Death Row ain't easy living.

It's living......

Originally posted by Robber
Taylor Made,

What makes you think Death Row is the Hilton??? Man them cells are so damn small. They don't get the same perks that general population gets. Death Row ain't easy living.

It's three meals a day. Medical care. Occasional recreation. Personal Hygiene (showers). There's very little (or no) interaction with others, so their physical safety (from harm) is virtually guaranteed. And they aren't held accountable for anything they do. They have none of the responsiblities that you or I have (on the outside). All they have to do is survive.

They don't have to work, or care for themselves. They don't have to cook for themselves. or anything. They don't even wash their own clothes.

Homeless people and poor, low-income people have more of a struggle than the guys on Death Row. And I'd rather my tax dollars go to providing help and services for the porr and down-trodden, and the homeless, before I see it spent on a convict that's 'waiting' to die anyway.

Spare me the drama. Go ahead and kill 'im and save me some money.

:::Gimmie that old time religion !!!!!:::
:::It's good enough for me:::
When I say old time, I mean as in Old Testament !!

Yeah, I know some of you say an "Eye for an Eye leaves everyone blind."

I say B.S., an "Eye for an Eye, leaves everyone with one Eye!"

I don't believe in the Electric Chair, I believe in Electric Bleachers, why limit it to one at a time!

Mofo's lucky I'm not in charge. That's the problem with society now, we aint having enough Funerals!:redhot: :redhot: :redhot:

The only reason some people are still alive is because it's ILLEGAL to kill them.

I'm pretty torn on this topic

I'm not usually for the death penalty just b/c of the reason(s) listed prior to my post.....who are we to judge? We're no better than the convicted; but I guess if something were to happen to one of my family members, then I'd be for it just because of emotions.

Now I do feel that the death penalty is an easy way out for most criminals anyway. Make em serve their time and suffer like their victims did.

I don't really care about it as an economical issue b/c our precious tax dollars get spent on God knows what anyway. :rolleyes:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: I'm pretty torn on this topic

Originally posted by Dtown Jag
I'm not usually for the death penalty just b/c of the reason(s) listed prior to my post.....who are we to judge? We're no better than the convicted; but I guess if something were to happen to one of my family members, then I'd be for it just because of emotions.

That's an honest answer.......

Who are we to judge???

Ever sit on a jury??? We judge people all the time. We just don't have to decide whether they live or die everyday.

Back