Liberty University

I'm not saying take a vow of poverty but how can you be against one form of oppression in police brutality yet take money from a company that engages in exploitative economic practices? It's very hypocritical.

I’ve heard this argument. Where were y’all banging the drum about that before Nike put Kap in a commercial?

Oh, man. Not another one of those sophisticated Uncle Toms. Who is absolutely sure we were better off when Massa oppressed us more. Romanticizing times when dogs were sicced on us for wanting to vote. When we were beaten, attacked with fire hoses, firebombed, lynched, and murdered for wanting the same rights to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness this country promises to the white man. Rights that should be available to any American.

Because we had an ”economic base”. Not recognizing that white folks were threatened by and destroyed black economic success every way they could. Like the murder of successful Black people and the burning of Black Wall street in Tulsa, Oklahoma. The pseudo-slavery and forced impoverishment of sharecropping. Redlining laws to keep us in the ghetto. Separate but equal doctrine that hindered our access to schools, medical care, restaurants, hotels, and other basic services that any citizen should enjoy.

You wretched soul. How dare you suggest we were better off when we were more oppressed. As if the struggle for justice and equality has not been worth it. There are more educated Black people now than at any point in the history of the US. More doctors, lawyers, and other professionals. Just because you don't see us all together segregated into a ghetto doesn't mean there aren't economically successful Black people in today's society.

Is there room for economic improvement in the Black community? Yes. But, let's not be naive and think there wasn't massive poverty during segregation. Extreme poverty with very little chance or hope of remedy.

Our challenge today is how do we maximize the opportunities we have to change our quality of life and standard of living in today’s world.

A challenge that is not at all hindered by our continual struggle for freedom, justice, and equality in this country.

Not at all hindered by the desire to have one less Black man brutalized or murdered by police in this country.

Challenges and difficulties in other areas of the community does not mean our struggle for justice and basic human dignity is not worthwhile.

And, if Colin Kaepernick, Nike, or anyone else can help us advance toward that end, it will most certainly be worth it.

I never said segregation didn't have its issues. You are projecting instead of reading what I wrote. If any arguments are poorly formed it's your arguments for this very reason. But, the fact is that in 2018 there's economic data that suggests our current economic standing is equivalent to that in 1964. You may not want to own it but that's what it is in spite of there being more college educated Blacks. So again I posit what good was integrating? We got tokens from integration and no substance. Also, you think in a subservient fashion. You have no problem with others investing in Black issues because you are looking for others to lead you. And, no one invests in you without wanting a return. Also, I've been a resident of Scotlandville most of my life. I'm Black and we are not a monolith so thinking all Black people think similarly says more about you than me.

More subservient than thinking Black people were better off under segregation? More subservient that thinking spouting conservative talking points makes you a ”free thinker”? That's laughable.

You don't know me. I don't follow anyone. Don't believe in being economically dependent on anyone but myself. I follow nothing but what I observe to be true and believe to be right.

And I’ll be damned if I ever think gullibly following white people's perspectives is what is best for me or my people.

But you're repeating liberal talking points. If I'm following White folks so are you.

Nike is about their bottom line but some of my Black folks act like Nike is really doing something for us. Nike ain't shit. Don't be fooled by Nike putting Kaepernick in some ads and paying him like that means they care about Black issues. I'm really thinking most of us will be fooled by Nike like we've been fooled by Democrats. If Nike was above board they wouldn't use sweatshop labor. But, I guess that doesn't mean anything to us because those are poor Asians Nike is abusing. Nike using Kaepernick is more about a PR battle against Trump because Trump wants to put higher taxes on the items Nike manufactures in Asia as a means to twist Nike's arm to move more of their manufacturing to the U.S. Kaepernick is a pawn in that battle.

You must go to work everyday wearing no clothes, huh? Because if you want to take that self-righteous stance in caring for those "poor Asians" you'd be honest with yourself in knowing that just about everything you have in your closet was stitched together by them "poor Asians". And all of it ain't just Nike.

He who pays controls. It's documented King was in bed with Communists. Read David Garrows MLK, Jr. I don't condone police brutality but the cops aren't leaving Black communities because in many of our communities we have a high crime rate.
A majority of our communities they report on. They paint the picture(s) they want to paint.

I'm not saying take a vow of poverty but how can you be against one form of oppression in police brutality yet take money from a company that engages in exploitative economic practices? It's very hypocritical.
How? Fight one battle at a time. Pick the fight most important to you and start throwing blows. You cannot fight very battle all at once.

I've had a lot of peace since i hit the ignore button on certain people. Just in case you forgot or didn't know, if you hover over their name on the left <-- you'll see ignore. If you don't ignore or mute people from time to time on social media you just aren't doing it right.

Liberty University Poured Millions Into Sports. Now Its Black Athletes Are Leaving.

One Thursday morning, class was partway through when the instructor told one of Land’s teammates that he needed a tutor. Sensing some reticence, Land said, the instructor followed up with an attempt at a joke. “Don’t be scared,” he allegedly told the player. “I’m not going to pull out my whip and hit you with it.”

Land and his teammate are Black, the instructor is white, and the joke came during a period of intense scrutiny of the way Black people are treated in this country, and of the unwelcoming atmosphere Black students face at Liberty in particular. In fact, Asia Todd, a top freshman on Liberty’s women’s basketball team, had announced earlier that month that she was transferring “due to the racial insensitivities shown within the leadership and culture” at the school.

Land had finally had enough, too. When I talked to him recently, he told me it was that moment in class that convinced him he had no choice but to transfer. He was done with the slights and general discomfort of being a young Black man on a campus where the student body, not to mention the population of professors and senior leadership, is overwhelmingly white.

“We just walked out of class,” Land said of him and a few of his teammates. “It was over with.” He made his announcement on Twitter the following Monday, saying he wanted to transfer somewhere “that respects my culture and provides a comfortable environment.”

A majority of our communities they report on. They paint the picture(s) they want to paint.

A crime is still a crime even if it goes unreported, which is basically why Bill Cosby is serving time for pretty much doing the same sex related crimes as the dummy in the WH did.

He who pays controls. It's documented King was in bed with Communists. Read David Garrows MLK, Jr. I don't condone police brutality but the cops aren't leaving Black communities because in many of our communities we have a high crime rate.

I bet you think it makes sense for police departments to budget and spend hundreds of millions of dollars to police Black communities for petty crimes, such as LAPD Air Support Unit. Outside of this country's military, police departments are probably the biggest tax supported government agencies that generate zero revenue, which means that they pretty much have ZERO return on investments. What is ironic, the same folks who complain about paying taxes are the same folks who support raising police departments budgets (solely supported by tax dollars) or so-called Blue Lives Matter folks.

Last edited:

I bet you think it makes sense for police departments to budget and spend hundreds of millions of dollars to police Black communities for petty crimes, such as LAPD Air Support Unit. Outside of this country's military, police departments are probably the biggest tax supported government agencies that generate zero revenue, which means that they pretty much have ZERO return on investments. What is ironic, the same folks who complain about paying taxes are the same folks who support raising police departments budgets (solely supported by tax dollars) or so-called Blue Lives Matter folks.

I knew police budgets were big but when I found out that LAPD has a billion dollar budget, my mind was blown. I've long advocated that police departments don't need military grade equipment especially when they primarily use it in situations that don't require it (protests).

That's the reason why Defund The Police is a thing now.

I knew police budgets were big but when I found out that LAPD has a billion dollar budget, my mind was blown. I've long advocated that police departments don't need military grade equipment especially when they primarily use it in situations that don't require it (protests).

That's the reason why Defund The Police is a thing now.

I knew something was wrong when I worked for the City of Los Angeles. As a means of understanding the City's budget and how much was earmarked for my projects, I was given the entire City budget. Like any curious young Engineer, I look at other departments budgets. LAPD had a specific line item for over $10 million dollars for just litigations and lawsuits, which means that they already had an expectation of being sued for police misconduct and this was back in 1990. From what I was told, this is how Johnny Cochran was able to earn his wealth as a young lawyer. He made himself the perfect candidate as a Black man to be pulled over by LAPD and everytime they did, he sued them.

Imagine if they all walked off the team...

Such a move would dictate they have common sense, intelligence, morality, & pride which I believe too many do not possess.

Sorry if I speak negatively of some of your relatives but the truth hurts.

Like during Reconstruction, the school is doing whatever it can to keep its slaves on the plantation. Jerry, Jr. should have never made a pack with the devil, but he backed Trump to increase Liberty's profit. Majority of Liberty's students are online students, which makes the school more of a private for-profit school.

The other predominately white Baptist college in Lynchburg (University of Lynchburg) is looking to disassociate itself from Liberty and the Falwells.

IMO, Liberty should have never grown this big, but thanks to Reagan and the Republican Party, this school received way too much federal support/welfare for the little contribution it has contributed to society. Without this school, the City of Lynchburg would be another small Virginia town. To say this city lack major transportation infrastructure (interstate highway, airport, and a waterway port), major companies still located facilities there due to Falwell's conservative ties with the Republican Party, such as Bausch Lomb, Frito Lay, J. Crew, etc. The only mode of transportation that is extensive in Lynchburg is its rail system, which predates the Civil War and since the Civil War most of that have been relocated 60 miles west in Roanoke, VA. Basically, Republicans moved jobs into areas to employ poor white Republicans, no matter how expensive it would be to transport their products. If it wasn't for Falwell, Sr., Lynchburg, VA would be no different than some West Virginia town.

Back