Letter from SWAC Commissioner Dr. Charles McClelland

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
The 2018-19 athletic year was truly remarkable with significant milestones achieved by many of our member institutions within the Southwestern Athletic Conference. During my first year as SWAC Commissioner, it was truly gratifying to witness first-hand the hard work and determination of our student-athletes and athletic support staffs as they collectively sought to reach the goal of athletic excellence during each of the 18 championships hosted by the conference.

The hard work and determination that we saw displayed throughout the year carried over equally into the classroom with nearly 1,500 of the student-athletes within the conference earning All-Academic honors. The rich contributions of the Southwestern Athletic Conference in the general scope of collegiate athletics has been well documented with some of the greatest student-athletes to ever play the game, charting their initial paths while attending our member institutions.

Former student-athletes such as Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, Willis Reed, Avery Johnson, Lou Brock, and Rickie Weeks are just a few of the names that competed in the SWAC before going on to achieve greatness at the professional level.

That was a wonderful letter! Addressed accomplishments, goals, priorities, recognition to our student-athletes, and a "thank you"!

I may have to start watching Commish McClelland. He seems to be a good, honest man, one who will keep the SWAC legacy going in a positive direction.

If it comes to that, I believe Commissioner McClelland will do what's right and necessary. He seems like a no-nonsense man.

The commissioner isn't the one who will have to make them. Its the presidents and trustees. The conference will only go as far as they want it to. Its about budget allocation. Most mid major PWI universities allocate a larger percentage for athletics that HBCU presidents would probably quit over if demanded the same percentage.

Reactions: J C
Since we know where the football championship game will be held (TSU) do we think he will announce where the basketball championship will be held on this media day.

Since we know where the football championship game will be held (TSU) do we think he will announce where the basketball championship will be held on this media day.

I doubt it. I'm sure this Media Day will strictly be focused on football.

Back