Let us not forget our roots!

Tara

Administrator
This was taken from <i>The New York Age</i>, April 18, 1907.

<div align="center"><font size="5"><b>Would Not Teach Negroes</b></font>
<font size="3"><b>Fifteen Texas Legislators Vote to Close a School For Them</b></font></div>

<blockquote>April 14 -- Representative R.M. Brown of Wharton county made a motion in the lower house of the Legislature yesterday to strike out the entire appropriation for the support of the Prairie View Normal College for Negroes. <b>He said that the educated Negro was a greater menace to the country than the ignorant Negro and that it was the man who knew something more than the ordinary that incited race troubles and riots.</b>

"The educated Negro has only three ambitions," said Mr. Brown, "to teach, to preach, or to get into the penitentiary for forgery."

He added that he would like to see the torch applied to the walls of Prairie View Normal as he was opposed to placing tools in the hands of Negroes that might cause a clash that would end only in the shedding of the blood of thousands.

Fifteen members voted with Mr. Brown, although he stated that he expected no member to vote with him.</blockquote>

This is exactly why I know that when I have children they <b>will</b> attend a historically Black college or university. I spent the first 17 years of my life being that 2% in every lily white classroom and school and it wasn't until I attended Spelman College that I truly developed a love for myself, my race, and recognized my own potential. These are strictly my <b>opinions</b>, but I feel that attending an HBCU greatly enhanced MY overall being.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Amen !! Let us not forget that there are alot of good oleboys that still think this way. HBCU's are the best and only way to go.

A little bit of that story is in the PV catolog. The introduction to the catalog is good reading. There was a book on the history of PV until 1950. I wish I could get it.

Anyway, I have seen life at a PWC and an HBCU. Trust me. There is a difference. I liked my life at the HBCU much better. From an educational sense, I am where I am because of a certain HBCU that is 45 miles west of Houston.

My child is definitely attending an HBU for undergrad matriculation, at least. I would not trade the experiences (academic as well as social) I had at Grambling for the world.

Great Thread!

I remember reading an article several years ago, that stated that African American students that attended HBCU's fared much better in graduate schools (at PWU) than did the African American students that received their undergraduate degrees from PWU's

The nurturing, networking, and "when needed" kick in the azz that we receive at our HBCU's really prepare us for the real world.
I'm not being critical of those who choose to attend PWC's. Everyone has the right to make a choice as to where they want to receive their education. However, I feel sorry for those that allow these universities to strip them of their identity and make them lose touch with their culture and community.

By the same token, I really appreciate those who receive their degrees from PWC's and remain dedicated and aware of who we are as a people!

Originally posted by Tara
This was taken from <i>The New York Age</i>, April 18, 1907.

<div align="center"><font size="5"><b>Would Not Teach Negroes</b></font>
<font size="3"><b>Fifteen Texas Legislators Vote to Close a School For Them</b></font></div>

<blockquote>April 14 -- Representative R.M. Brown of Wharton county made a motion in the lower house of the Legislature yesterday to strike out the entire appropriation for the support of the Prairie View Normal College for Negroes. <b>He said that the educated Negro was a greater menace to the country than the ignorant Negro and that it was the man who knew something more than the ordinary that incited race troubles and riots.</b>

"The educated Negro has only three ambitions," said Mr. Brown, "to teach, to preach, or to get into the penitentiary for forgery."

He added that he would like to see the torch applied to the walls of Prairie View Normal as he was opposed to placing tools in the hands of Negroes that might cause a clash that would end only in the shedding of the blood of thousands.

Fifteen members voted with Mr. Brown, although he stated that he expected no member to vote with him.</blockquote>

This is exactly why I know that when I have children they <b>will</b> attend a historically Black college or university. <u>I spent the first 17 years of my life being that 2% in every lily white classroom and school and it wasn't until I attended</u> Spelman College <font color=red>(PVU!!!)</font>that I truly developed a love for myself, my race, and recognized my own potential. These are strictly my <b>opinions</b>, but I feel that attending an HBCU greatly enhanced MY overall being.
:bawling: Say it gul! Say that!!!! :bawling: Brings a tear to my eye and I'll NEVER forget what the jokers thought and what they didn't do to perpetuate equality. :bawling: My kids are HBCU bound 4 sure!

Ay,

I will give my sons a choice of going anywhere they want to go......but excuse me if I expose them to the HBCU experience the most!! :D

I have full faith that my sons will go to an HBCU.......from seeing the sort of man it has made me.......:D
Eitheir play a sport and/or follow in my footsteps and join the "Greatest Show on Earth" (a HBCU band ;) )
And they will graduate and move on to have successful and productive lives.......

What a coincidence!!!!

Look at this beauty that I received in my inbox today. Is it true? I have no idea, but it does hit home with a harsh reality....

Blacks Don't Read !!!

This is very deep, and unfortunately, very true! This
is a heavy piece and a Caucasian wrote it.

*THEY ARE STILL OUR SLAVES !!!!!!

*We can continue to reap profits from the Blacks
without the effort of physical slavery. Look at the
current methods of containment that they use on
themselves:

* IGNORANCE, GREED, and SELFISHNESS.

* Their IGNORANCE is the primary weapon of
containment. A great man
once said, "The best way to hide something form Black
people is to put it in
a book." We live now in the Information Age. They
have gained the
opportunity to read any book on any subject through
the efforts of their
fight for freedom, yet they refuse to read. There are
numerous books readily available at Borders, Barnes &
Noble, and Amazon.com, not to mention their own
Black Bookstores that provide solid blueprints to
reach economic equality (which should have been their
fight all along), but few read consistently, if at
all.

GREED is another powerful weapon of containment.
Blacks, since the
abolition of slavery, have had large amounts of money
at their disposal.
Last year they spent 10 billion dollars during
Christmas, out of their 450
billion dollars in total yearly income (2.22%). Any
of us can use them as
our target market, for any business venture we care to
dream up, no matter
how outlandish, they will buy into it. Being
primarily a consumer people,
they function totally by greed. They continually want
more, with little thought for saving or investing.
They would rather buy some new sneaker than invest in
starting a business. Some even neglect their children
to have the latest Tommy or FUBU. And
they still think that having a Mercedes, and a big
house gives the "Status" or that they have achieved
the American Dream. They are fools! The vast majority
of their people are still in poverty because their
greed holds them back from collectively making better
communities. With the help of BET, and the rest of
their black media that often broadcasts destructive
images into their own homes, we will continue to see
huge profits like those of Tommy and Nike. (Tommy Hilfiger has
even jeered them, saying he doesn't want their money,
and look at how the fools spend more with him than
ever before!). They'll continue to show off to each
other while we build solid communities with the
profits from our businesses that we market to them.

SELFISHNESS, ingrained in their minds through slavery,
is one of the
major ways we can continue to contain them. One of
their own, Dubois said
that there was an innate division in their culture.
A "Talented Tenth" he called it. He was correct in
his deduction that there are segments of their culture
that has achieved some "form" of success. However,
that segment missed the fullness of his work. They
didn't read that the "Talented Tenth" was then
responsible to aid the Non-Talented Ninety Percent in
achieving a better life. Instead, that segment has
created > another class, a Buppie class that looks
down on their people or aids them in a condescending
manner. They will never achieve what we have.
Their selfishness does not allow them to be able to
work together on any
project or endeavor of substance. When they do get
together, their selfishness lets their egos get in
the way of the goal. Their so-called help
organizations
seem to only want to promote their name without
making any real change in their community. They are
content to sit in conferences and conventions in our
hotels, and talk about what they will do, while they
award plaques to the best speakers, not the best
doers. Is there no end to their selfishness? They
steadfastly refuse to see that "TOGETHER > EACH
ACHIEVES MORE (TEAM)! They do not understand that
they are no better than each other because of what
they own. In fact, most of those Buppies are but one
or two paychecks away from poverty. All of which is
under the control of our pens in our offices and our
boardrooms.

Yes, will continue to contain them as long as they
refuse to read,
continue to buy anything they want, and keep thinking
they are "helping" their communities by paying dues to
organizations which
do little other
than hold lavish conventions in our hotels.
By the way, don't worry about any of them reading this
letter, remember,

'THEY DON'T READ!!!!'

The Sad Truth......

Jag Diehard's post was disturbing(at best) to read, but the reality is that it was absolutely correct in terms of defining the desolation and destitution that exists in Black America.

We must seek our history, and seek the truth that the things we enjoy today, were paid for IN BLOOD by those before us. And we must not get 'comfortable' and 'complacent', now that we can go to the upscale mall, and drive the Lexus and BMWs, and live in the gated communities. We must continue to strive (and struggle and fight) for our piece of Americana!!!!! Our collective struggle isn't diminished by our gains thus far. We must insist that our children be truly educated to the histories and realities that the History Books chose to forget. And while diversity and integration are all well and good, we must not lose sight of who we are and where we come from.

All of our HBCUs have histories similar to PV Normal. The proliferation of Schools of Higher Learning for the Negro were fought by the White Establishment tooth-and-nail. Lest we forget that they purposely deprived us of our right to be free, deprived us of our right to learn to read, fought against our rights to own land, deprived us of access to public accomodations, deprived us the right to vote, and deprived us of civil liberties and other protections under the LAW.......And we've overcome these obstacles, but they're not gone entirely!!!! Don't be fooled...Keep your eyes open... :eek2:

This is the land we live in. And we must never forget where we came from. Everybody's got Old 'Nana and PawPaw, who went uneducated or under-educated, and slaved and struggled, and worked their fingers to the bone, and got arthritis and diabetes and glaucoma, so that their children , and their children's children could live a better life...... I know my great-grandparents didn't sacrifice so I could get caught-up in some foolishness. They sacrificed so I could go to school (and not work) and go to college at Tuskegee and Jackson State, and come away with Degrees, in order to live a better life, and raise my daughter to be better than I am!!!!!! I can't let them down, and I can't let my child down. I have to be strong, and vigilant, and diligent, and persistent, and defiant (if neccessary) to have the world know that I am a man, and not an animal, or a criminal or a thug, because of the color of my skin. I am an equal share-holder in the Dream for Equality in our country. I will carry my weight, and demand no less than my share.

Remember folks, know your history. Seek the truth, and when you find it. Stand on it.

My friend the other

Tara I think that you were lucky being exposed to that 2%. You were exposed to the real world early in life. I had no idea of what was out there until I attended NIU (the college that I love so much because I was exposed to racism on a daily basis). I remember my first year there, when my ?dorm floor buddies? had done the blackface thing, my dorm mates could not believe that I did not know how to break dance, the white women asking the black women if the black man?s sausage was black, ...etc. In the North most blacks liked Southern Whites more than Northern Whites, because Southern Whites were brutal enough to let you know that they did not like you. Northern whites would smile in your face and then knife you in the back. I had to prove that I belong at the university and that I was there because I was smart enough, not because the university had to meet a quota. I attended a PWC and then I transferred to FAMU. I spent my pre college life growing up in Chicago in the 98% of segregation. I enjoyed the PWC experience, this was my exposure being in the 2%, which is what I face in life everyday.

I debate with myself daily on where I will send my kids. I think that I will send them to FAMU so that FAMU can get my money, I want to wear the famous ?My money and my Kid goes to FAMU.? My kids will get there advanced programs from a PWC. I want my kids to be exposed to the 2% early in life. I will use FAMU as an education reward/buffer zone so that my kids will not believe the stereotypes about their black people.

In my case the PWC enhanced my overall well being, being at the PWC made me feel like the second half of the puzzle of life had been handed to me and that my life was now complete. When I was as senior in high school, one of my white teachers told me that I would not make it pass my first year of college. Oh, I proved this teacher wrong in a big way. Many of my co-workers agree with the news article at the beginning of this thread and they consider me dangerous, since I am one of ?those? educated black people. I can best sum this up by saying ?Here?s what they really think about you.?

Back