Langston (okla.) in the SWAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

THAMES

Is this old news, or did I miss something? I just finished reading an article about Langston University in the Winter Edition '03 of Black Voices Quarterly (the one with Toni Morrison on the cover) entitled "Air of Distinction" by Chranda R. Thomas. In it there is a direct qoute from Langston"s president, Dr. Ernest L. Holloway. Holloway said within two years all school sports will once again compete in SWAC. "We"ve already sent notice to SWAC that we're comimg back," Holloway said.

Now I knew that Langston had been trying to schedule some SWAC Schools but I didn't know that they were trying to come back to the SWAC. I think they were a charter member. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Thames,

I am glad to read this. Over last couple of years. I have stated many times that they should rejoin the SWAC. I actually wrote both the president and the athletic director about my thoughts on the subject.

Is this old news, or did I miss something? I just finished reading an article about Langston University in the Winter Edition '03 of Black Voices Quarterly (the one with Toni Morrison on the cover) entitled "Air of Distinction" by Chranda R. Thomas. In it there is a direct qoute from Langston"s president, Dr. Ernest L. Holloway. Holloway said within two years all school sports will once again compete in SWAC. "We"ve already sent notice to SWAC that we're comimg back," Holloway said.

Now I knew that Langston had been trying to schedule some SWAC Schools but I didn't know that they were trying to come back to the SWAC. I think they were a charter member. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

I believe the president has ties to Prairie View A&M University. The athletic director played football at Prairie View A & M University before leaving to finish at Oklahoma State University. He also has ties with Alabama A&M University and Southern University.

I glad to read this. Langston was not a founding member of the SWAC. Langston started admittance of state programs into the SWAC while the private schools where exiting. Langston became a member of the SWAC in 1931 and left in 1957.

Tigerpride,

They should stay where they are or at least stay away from my schedule.

LOL. I could see where you would say that.

I know Langston has renovated the stadium and it is suppose to be state of the art, similar to Arkansas-Pine Bluff's football stadium. They have been working on the stadium for the last two years I believe. It also my understanding they have renovated the basketball arena as well.

They must have already petition the NCAA for NCAA Division I AA/Division I status. I wonder when did they submitted the paper work to the NCAA.

Not being funny at all, but the SWAC has turned away the last two schools who applied. From the article in BVQ the school seems pretty nice, but traveling from OK every time you want to play a conf game would be taxing on the budget. Do they have the resources to handle the step up?

Langston in the West and Tuskegee in the East. It has possibilities, but do we really need to expand at all? If so, it might not be a bad addition.

We may as well. The SWAC seems to be letting anybody in anyway, just look at the last joke we let in that is hurting us RPI wise. Some of the smaller schools also need a team they can compete with.

Tuskegee west? Man please. Keep saying that and sooner or later it will justify why you guys play them so often.

Ridiculous!!

This does nothing to help improve the SWAC!! I truly hope that this does not happen.

If anything, we need to be dropping a lot of the dead weight we are already carrying and move forward...adding Tuskeegee, Mo B, or Langston is nothing more than a gathering of the mediocre.

We have to get over this...well they black too...mentality and determine how we will best improve the SWAC!!

:lecture:

Originally posted by Get Ready
We may as well. The SWAC seems to be letting anybody in anyway, just look at the last joke we let in that is hurting us RPI wise.

Not to mention some of the "c**n" jokes that were already members! :dizzy:

So do you feel the same way when you see them on Gramblings schedule or do you just see an easy victory over dead weight.

Isn't the SWAC RPI bad enough now. And Langston wants to join? Give me a break. If anything we need to be kicking some schools out instead of letting more in.

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
Thames,
I actually wrote both the president and the athletic director about my thoughts on the subject.

So, it's your fault that this President is talking about rejoining, huh?
Hmmmmm...................interesting.

It's kinda amazing that some folks keep mentioning RPI, when their own school is bringing down the damn RPI too.

sweep....own....door

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I think that the conference cant afford to let another weak athletic program in.

Maybe a new conference should be created for the extreme western teams

PV, Langston, TXSU, Paul Quinn ,Arkansas Pine Bluff; Centenary (basketball) and Texas College (basketball)

This coming from a Southern supporter.
And he had the nerve to say something about weak teams.......
Continue........

Sweep...aaaaw nevermind

This coming from a Southern supporter.
And he had the nerve to say something about weak teams.......
Continue........

Sweep...aaaaw nevermind

Weak.....?

Let me pull out my sports tally of championships

Baseball Championships 6 YRS
S.U 5 jsue 0

Track Championships 6 years
S.U 5 jsue 1

Football 6 years
S.U. 3 jsue 0

Basketball
S.U. 0 jsue 0

..............It is called SUperiority!

Jafus,

If no one has never told you in the past, I will today. Just because someone has a different perspective than you, It does not make them an "idiot." I vehemently believe that Lanston is not needed in the SWAC as we have enough remedial programs already. There should be a division 2 conference in the southwest and P.V., Langston and Pine Bluff would be excellent charter menbers.

But wouldnt Langston be an easy win for you? I mean you wouldnt have to find a way to creatively play Miles and MoB every year.

We may as well. The SWAC seems to be letting anybody in anyway, just look at the last joke we let in that is hurting us RPI wise. Some of the smaller schools also need a team they can compete with.

Well the last joke that the SWAC INVITED and APPROACHED because of their FAN SUPPORT beat JSU twice this hoop season. :cool:

I think the criteria for letting a school in a major conference should be ATTENDANCE. That's the reason the SWAC wanted UAPB because the number of fans travel. That 's why I did not understand why the SWAC denied MBC membership, they are in a major city and the fan support might have been enormous. If a school can't average over 4,000 fans per football game, they should wait until their fan support build up. On a historical note, I believe Langston was a charter member of the SWAC.

Originally posted by pbla

That 's why I did not understand why the SWAC denied MBC membership, they are in a major city and the fan support might have been enormous.

And they're BROKE with issues!

JROCK,

Jafus,

If know one has never told you in the past, I will today. Just because someone has a different perspective than you, It does not make them an "idiot."

First of all people of told me several things. No, this reference to all this dumb continued belittling of another. Remember this is the sports board. It amazes me that we can not have a meaningful discussion without having to degrade another program. Just state the facts. It does not matter to me (travel concerns, attendance questions, financial responsibilities, title IV, & etc.) are all very valid concerns. But again this silly stough has got stop at least on the sports board. I am tired of it!! It stupid and does nothing to create creditable dialogue on the various subjects posted on the sports board.

I vehemently believe that Lanston is not needed in the SWAC as we have enough remedial programs already.

Please, What is your definition of a "remedial program"?

There should be a division 2 conference in the southwest and P.V., Langston and Pine Bluff would be excellent charter menbers.

Actually I do not have problem with this thought. At least you actually gave it some thought. In fact maybe the other members of the SWAC should just form a new conference (GSAC), since they are not in the Southwest anyway and Prairie View A&M (as a charter member), Arkansas-Pine Bluff, and Langston (since you have will continue the legacy of SWAC as we meet and open the SWAC for expansion at the NCAA Division II level or maybe even stay at the NCAA Division I AA/Division I level and even take Texas Southern with us.

Gulf States Athletic Conference:
Alabama A&M
Alabama State
Alcorn State
Grambling State
Jackson State
Southern

Southwest Athletic Conference:
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Langston
Prairie View A&M
Texas Southern