Langston (okla.) in the SWAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What were you saying about grown folks talking? Give it up bruh. Your school was the weakest school in the country, yet you want to talk about not allowing schools in because of some weakness. I think what the logical people on this board are saying is, "you dont have room to talk."

Southernese, Hmmmmm!! Interesting Get Ready!!

Originally posted by pbla
Really, can't any school in the SWAC brag about their athletic programs when playing other schools outside the conference.The only thing we can brag about is attendance in football and my alma mater is no slouch in that dept.Although this past football season was a downer.

This is not a true statement:

The biggest problem this conference has outside the conference:

1) Jackson State dismal 0-13 playoff record
2) Prairie View losing streak
3) Texas Schools padding losses with the SLC

I see folks talking about best BCF program...again, ain't looking beyond.

And who cares about the 1993 tournament win? You got the high seed due to you all upsetting JSU and Lindsay Hunter. The selection show was before the game and they assumed JSU would win. It's odd your program didn't benefit from it because 10 years later you have been passed.

BP,

What does your erroneous comment (not BCF rather athletic program) and the price of tea in china have to do with the title of the thread "Langston in the SWAC?" It is not a novel idea to be quiet if you dont have anything of substance to interject.

GR speaking of "logical people," was this a logical choice?

Prognosis for Tenure: Jackson State athletic director Roy Culberson has taken some heat for the handling of his department since being hired in April of 2000, and his hiring of Bell straight out of a 1-9 high school program did nothing to quell the debate. A closer look at Bell?s track record is cause for some worry. In his 14 years as an assistant at Division I programs (I-A or I-AA), Bell?s teams compiled an overall record of 57-97-1 (.370), and he has been a part of just three that had winning ledgers. In addition, Bell has no ties to Jackson State or the SWAC, facts that upset a number of Jackson State boosters. A skimpy first recruiting class is not a good sign, although six home games (JSU had just three in ?02) will at least give the veteran Tigers a chance. Bell will have to work hard to prove his detractors wrong in his first head coaching assignment.

JROCK,

Jafus,

The complexion of college athletics has vasty changed since P.V. won a NAIA championship. No one is discounting the historical accomplishment of P.V. The fact that it is your opinion that my perspective (not argument) is "weak" wreaks subjectivity. Your record in football the last 15 years is 5wins and 165 losses. For what ever reason your college has opted not to make the investment in athletics. Your school along with APB are in the same class with Langston. I did not say that these schools could not be rehabilitated. The best route to rehab is in D-2. This is not a punishment but rather an antedote.

Interesting thought process you have. Yes, you are trying to discount (and blantantly ignore) the historical accomplishment"s" of Prairie View A & M as well as discount the recent strides and success of Prairie View A & M's athletics program. Even more insane is the fact that you refuse to evaluate Southern's athletics program, especially in reference to the second revenue generating sports of basketball.

In reference to the complexion of athletics changing since the NAIA Championship won by Prairie View A&M. But again I suppose the complexion of athletics have not change since Southern won NCAA Tournament game (you wanted to bring up that history fact) as well as over the last 2 years in regards to the record of Southern's basketball program (you chose to ingnore, while talking about Prairie VIew A & M football record irrevelant to the facts that we fired our coach).

I see you refuse to acknowledge the problem with your basketball program and its inablity to complete in "recent" history at the NCAA Division I level. Be known that Southern's basketball record is (16-40) over the last two years. So, I suggest that Southern University has chosen not to invest in the basketball program.

While you may want to asert that Arkansas-Pine Bluff programs belongs at the NCAA Division II level, it should also be duelly noted that Arkansas-Pine Bluff's basketball program as improved over the last two years when compared to Southern's basketball program.

I suppose Prairie View A&M investment in a new football arena, new football coach, new baseball coach, a new basketball coach whom went 17-12 in his inaugural season on route to winning the regular season SWAC Championship has no merit in Prairie View A&M University investing in the athletic program as opposed to the investment that Southern in investing in its basketball program. I suppose this is what Get Ready's statement is in reference too.

But, I digress. Again, I challenge you in argument, in now what is becoming your absurb statement (with no merritt) that the athletic programs of Prairie View A&M, Arkanas-Pine Bluff, as well as Langton (which I must also mention as been more competitive at it given level than Southern has at its respective level) should operate at the NCAA Division II level.

Please, base your argument with information supporting your assertion of athletic operating cost, budgets, and revenue for the school year of 2001-2002 (recent past), 2002-2003(present), and 2003-2004 (immediate future forecast), this past year and the present. Since you want to talk about the present complextion of athletics.

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
JROCK,

But, I digress. Again, I challenge you in argument, in now what is becoming your absurb statement (with no merritt) that the athletic programs of Prairie View A&M, Arkanas-Pine Bluff, as well as Langton (which I must also mention as been more competitive at it given level than Southern has at its respective level) should operate at the NCAA Division II level.

Please, base your argument with information supporting your assertion of athletic operating cost, budgets, and revenue for the school year of 2001-2002 (recent past), 2002-2003(present), and 2003-2004 (immediate future forecast), this past year and the present. Since you want to talk about the present complextion of athletics.

You can't be serious. This is the sport board so I'll try to keep my comments as such. The Swac has to base their decision to expand on present performance not past glory. What have you done lately consistantly, not what you did 4 decades ago. A athletic program is base on more than the two revenue producing sport as it is in the SWAC. There are 17 sports programs in the SWAC. Last year we won titles in 7 or 8. The problems we have incounter in basketball is mire personal than investment, although I was against Jobes returning he just might be back for one more year. The person/people than will make that decision will meet soon and I'll hope the be there to voice my 2 cents.

Our football field will be replace before the season start, have a new baseball field plus the concession and baseball office building in funded. Also will start this year on the athletics complex. These are just a few of the capital improvement projects we have ongoing are in the near future. We have something to show for our dollars, do you?

A little known fact: (1)Southern is the only school that has titles in all 17 sports. (2) No one have won more championship than Southern.

JROCK,

"Interesting thought process you have. Yes, you are trying to discount (and blantantly ignore) the historical accomplishment"s" of Prairie View A & M as well as discount the recent strides and success of Prairie View A & M's athletics program. Even more insane is the fact that you refuse to evaluate Southern's athletics program, especially in reference to the second revenue generating sports of basketball."

*****Your discount statement is false as I have already made my statement in regards to "historical" accomplishments. Southern has the best athletic program in the SWAC (common knowledge) period. I do believe and know that we will improve in basketball. (We have made it to the SWAC tourney finals 2 of the last 5 years). When making a comparative analysis of PV and S.U. athletic dept from the last 10 years their is no comparison. The last ten years S.U. has won 8 commissioner cups to PV 0*****

In reference to the complexion of athletics changing since the NAIA Championship won by Prairie View A&M. But again I suppose the complexion of athletics have not change since Southern won NCAA Tournament game (you wanted to bring up that history fact) as well as over the last 2 years in regards to the record of Southern's basketball program (you chose to ingnore, while talking about Prairie VIew A & M football record irrevelant to the facts that we fired our coach).

*****The antedote for your football program was not firing the coach but rather giving him scholarships to attract student athletes. When your school wins (last 6 yrs) 5 out of 6 baseball titles 5 out of 6 outdoor track titles 3 out of the last 6 football titles you will find the type of balance that is needed to consider your school a legitimate D-1 contender. Your school is in D-1 but the D-1 in not in your school*****

I see you refuse to acknowledge the problem with your basketball program and its inablity to complete in "recent" history at the NCAA Division I level. Be known that Southern's basketball record is (16-40) over the last two years. So, I suggest that Southern University has chosen not to invest in the basketball program.

*****False Statement, I do not dispute the fact that our basketball team needs to improve. In contrast, the only thing at PV that does NOT need to improve is the basketball team.*****

While you may want to asert that Arkansas-Pine Bluff programs belongs at the NCAA Division II level, it should also be duelly noted that Arkansas-Pine Bluff's basketball program as improved over the last two years when compared to Southern's basketball program.

*****Sorry D-1 was not the right move for this school. But considering the landscape of D-2 in the southwest I understand. Your concept of a "complete" athletic program is lacking or you choose not to acknowledge it.*****

I suppose Prairie View A&M investment in a new football arena, new football coach, new baseball coach, a new basketball coach whom went 17-12 in his inaugural season on route to winning the regular season SWAC Championship has no merit in Prairie View A&M University investing in the athletic program as opposed to the investment that Southern in investing in its basketball program. I suppose this is what Get Ready's statement is in reference too.

*****Your assertion is incorrect. I believe that P.V. athletic program is headed in the right direction and SOME day may be competitive in all sports. I still say HELL no to Langston and firmly believe that a D-2 league should be created in the southwest spearheaded by PV, APB & Langston*****

*****I don't know what makes your "absurd" statements "holier than thou." It is this type of narcissism coupled with hypocracy that you were just complaing about on the sports board. The aforementioned place for now should be in D-2. Remember, this is only my perspective and all of the verbal ammunition that you can muster will not change that. Intellectually, I look for the status quo with the bottom of the conference hanging on. However, I am hoping that the council of presidents dont see fit to expand in Oklahoma. This would be a terrible decision****

***** I dont have the time or inclination to appease*****

Originally posted by JROCK
GR speaking of "logical people," was this a logical choice?

Prognosis for Tenure: Jackson State athletic director Roy Culberson has taken some heat for the handling of his department since being hired in April of 2000, and his hiring of Bell straight out of a 1-9 high school program did nothing to quell the debate. A closer look at Bell?s track record is cause for some worry. In his 14 years as an assistant at Division I programs (I-A or I-AA), Bell?s teams compiled an overall record of 57-97-1 (.370), and he has been a part of just three that had winning ledgers. In addition, Bell has no ties to Jackson State or the SWAC, facts that upset a number of Jackson State boosters. A skimpy first recruiting class is not a good sign, although six home games (JSU had just three in ?02) will at least give the veteran Tigers a chance. Bell will have to work hard to prove his detractors wrong in his first head coaching assignment.

So....whats your point?
If I put Dougs record up before he got to Grambling, what would you say. This guy has an opnion, but its an outside one at best. He talked about our recruiting, and I could go on and on about the players we brought in, but I digress. We had the best recruiting class in the SWAC with only 8 available scholarships.

And finally, I know our new coach is 100 times better than the old guy. My coaching staff is 100 times better. While you are promoting guys that helped you to a 7th place SWAC defense, we went and got better. Get Ready for another long season.

DAHILL,

Langston's one claim to fame is international goat research (I kidd you not) Pun intended. I don't know if that is a sport, but please let them into the SWAC. The SMACK possibilities are endless (...snicker)

BgJag,

You can't be serious.

Yes, my comments are serious. You should ask that of JROCK. But, I am sure you would like to ingnore the truths as well.

This is the sport board so I'll try to keep my comments as such.

I appreciate that. I wish others posters would consier that fact as well.

The Swac has to base their decision to expand on present performance not past glory. What have you done lately consistantly, not what you did 4 decades ago.

I disagree. Usually most conference (commissioner & presidents) based expansion on whether the school that is to be considered for expansion is a "good" fit. I believe this is the exact phrased that was used by our current Commissioner, when the questioned was raised concerning SWAC expansion. In fact, a good fit usually surrounds such issues as, geographically (traveling logistics); quality of facilities (size, modern admentities, & any capital projects); financial stability (academics and athletics); level of commitment (athletics and academics); and academic status (variety of academic programs and their national, regional rankings).

Truth be told your present performance (or past glory for that mater) has very little bearing on the functionality of a conference when it come to expansion. It is the level of "commitment" (leadership, capital, planning, and growth), an institutions has to its athletic programs that usually determine, how much success an institution brings when evaluating its impact on the conference it joined.

A athletic program is base on more than the two revenue producing sport as it is in the SWAC. There are 17 sports programs in the SWAC. Last year we won titles in 7 or 8.

I am aware that an athletic program is based on more than two revenue producing sports. My statement was in regards to the competitiveness of the two revenue producing sports of football and football, when comparing the two SWAC programs of Prairie View A & M and Southern.

The problems we have incounter in basketball is mire personal than investment, although I was against Jobes returning he just might be back for one more year. The person/people than will make that decision will meet soon and I'll hope the be there to voice my 2 cents.

Are you not stating for a fact that Southern's basketball program is not competitive at the NCAA Division I level at this point in time?
In my opinion the reason is irrevelant.

Our football field will be replace before the season start, have a new baseball field plus the concession and baseball office building in funded. Also will start this year on the athletics complex. These are just a few of the capital improvement projects we have ongoing are in the near future. We have something to show for our dollars, do you?
Yes, we have something to show for our dollars. We earned a SWAC regular season basketball championship for the 2002-2003 season.

A little known fact: (1)Southern is the only school that has titles in all 17 sports. (2) No one have won more championship than Southern.
That is great fact of SWAC history. I still find it interesting that earlier in your post you stated, "The Swac has to base their decision to expand on present performance not past glory.", but now the history of Southern is relevant to this debate. It is my understanding that Southern has not won titles in all 17 sports during their present perfeormance.

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI

THIS IS BASED ON WHAT???

Based on the fact that we signed 4 of the top players in the state, and the top RB in Arkansas.

Oh yeah, there is one more "crucial catch"....they all qualified and they will all report to campus. Thats a lot more than I can say about other programs.

Are you not stating for a fact that Southern's basketball program is not competitive at the NCAA Division I level at this point in time?
In my opinion the reason is irrevelant.

Yes, we have something to show for our dollars. We earned a SWAC regular season basketball championship for the 2002-2003 season.

That is great fact of SWAC history. I still find it interesting that earlier in your post you stated, "The Swac has to base their decision to expand on present performance not past glory.", but now the history of Southern is relevant to this debate. It is my understanding that Southern has not won titles in all 17 sports during their present perfeormance.

Basketball first, our leading scorer from last year went down at the beginning of the season, Jobe 5 jc transfer didn't play this year, that had a lot to do with our demise, but we olayed competitive in this conf. Of our three defeat to the SWAC Champ one was by two point and the other by one. Not bad when you missing 5 players you expected to contribute.

Congrat again on your title but your last one was in 62.

Hope you don't expect us to win all 17 title every year? Posted that to let you know we compete in all sports. Of late we won 7-8 last year and sofar 3 this year and expect to win atleast 2 more before school is out. Our titles in the last two year are more than most of the Swac schools in the last 10 years. Is that present enough for you???????

JROCK,

Another misguided false statement.

I would agree that heart is misguied and you are full of false statements and assumptions. But, one thing is for sure. it is obvious that you have not done it ...

(...based your arguments with information supporting your assertion of athletic operating cost, budgets, and revenue for the school year of 2001-2002 (recent past), 2002-2003(present), and 2003-2004 (immediate future forecast), this past year and the present. Since you want to talk about the present complextion of athletics.).

JROCK,

I would agree that heart is misguied and you are full of false statements and assumptions. But, one thing is for sure. it is obvious that you have not done it ...

(...based your arguments with information supporting your assertion of athletic operating cost, budgets, and revenue for the school year of 2001-2002 (recent past), 2002-2003(present), and 2003-2004 (immediate future forecast), this past year and the present. Since you want to talk about the present complextion of athletics.).

I will end this dialogue because now it is getting into a "tit for tat" demogague fest. My closing thoughts however would be that you certainly dont come remotely close to speaking gospel. Your contention that I am full of "false statments and assumptions" is another lie (characterized diplomatically, earlier as "misguided false statement"). I dont know what type of blood, sweat and tears you have invested in Langston becoming SWAC. It is my OPINION (not assumption or false statement) that it is the epitome of asininity to allow another weak program in the SWAC. Those weak programs currently in the SWAC that I am referring to are PV & APB. You can surely charge that to my mind and NOT my heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back