Langston (okla.) in the SWAC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fact: Langston was not a charter member of the SWAC. The SWAC was chartered by schools in Texas. Langston was the FIRST state supported institution admitted.

I'm going to sit back and watch (read) the comments and think back on what the perception may have been when everyone's alma mater was admitted.

Seems like everyone is doing a lot of finger pointing. I wonder how far out Langston is in terms of competitivity when they had our SWAC football champs on the ropes last fall. :confused: And, when I see a TON of SWAC members (inclusive of us for <b>historical reason</b>) playing Div IIs.

*folding arms across chest*

J's post looks like the SWAC of old to me. 2 seperate conferences w/ PV, TSU, PQ, Lang, UAPB, GSU (yep), SU (yep), and Texas College. Regionally, it's PERFECT! Competitivity wise, it's perfect as well! Sorry SUperior, y'all ain't that far out.

Nice idea J. The school's out east are regionally aligned along w/ adding Tuskegee and Tennessee State. Woops! Did I say TnSU? :confused: GSAC.

Originally posted by Get Ready
But wouldnt Langston be an easy win for you? I mean you wouldnt have to find a way to creatively play Miles and MoB every year.

Tally Sheet again:

D-2 Programs played last 10 years:

jsue 2 S.U. 1

Sorry but you are winning in the wrong category.

And to add insult to injury......jsue traveled to a d-2 program (small time).

JROCK! :mad: Stop all of that jabbing and JSU banter!

Comment on my proposed SWAC conf dammit! :mad:

And the GSAC: JSU, MVSU, AlcSU, AlaSU, AAMU, TU, TnSU.

I do not believe people really want to talk about RPI:

SWAC
Records only include games against Division I opponents
Shaded teams made the tournament

Records last updated Mon Mar 17 2003, 4:37 AM
RPI last updated Mon Mar 10 2003, 4:12 AM

2002-2003 Standings Conference Overall
School W L Pct W L Pct RPI Rank

Prairie View A&M 14 4 0.778 17 12 0.586 0.4818
RPI="193"

Miss Valley St 13 5 0.722 14 13 0.519 0.4575
RPI="243"
Texas Southern 11 7 0.611 18 12 0.600 0.4527
RPI="251"
Alabama St 11 7 0.611 13 15 0.464 0.4592
RPI="238"
Alcorn St 10 8 0.556 14 19 0.424 0.4322
RPI="271"
Grambling 9 9 0.500 10 18 0.357 0.4270
RPI="275"
Jackson St 9 9 0.500 10 18 0.357 0.4250
RPI="280"

Southern U 5 13 0.278 7 20 0.259 0.3486
RPI="325"
Alabama A&M 4 14 0.222 7 19 0.269 0.3740
RPI="313"
Ark-Pine Bluff 4 14 0.222 4 24 0.143 0.3797
RPI="312"

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
This is an example of how conversations and discussions about various subjects about the "SWAC" are viewed from the outside.

Hell, who gives a pigeon's left testicle what AT&T thinks? Their coach recruited all the good players for Hampton, didnt look at the recruitment tapes, have not filled any graduating senior spots with players, and their best alumni is a terrorist.

That says alot right there...................

Jafus,

I think that the poster were sincere in their perspective (with the exception of Get Ready).

We really dont need any more insult to injury.

With no pun intended, If you are looking at athletic programs as a whole, P.V. and APB are the two teams that needs to make an exodus to D-2 (remedial----a place to remedy deficiencies) until the athletic program as a whole gets up to par. The inclusion of Langston would only put additional weight on the conference as we are already carrying two extremely weak programs.

Originally posted by Panthro
JROCK! :mad: Stop all of that jabbing and JSU banter!

Comment on my proposed SWAC conf dammit! :mad:

And the GSAC: JSU, MVSU, AlcSU, AlaSU, AAMU, TU, TnSU.

Panthro,

The real answer is APB & PV moving to D-2 until they are ready to compete across the board.

You must admit that PV winning 6 games in 14 years is ridiculous and worthy of self examination. I am aware that you all are working on addressing the problems.

I realize that the "ideal situation" is probably not going to happen. And the SWAC will continue to have image problems until the weakest link gets stronger. Adding Langston would only compound this problem.

JROCK,

Is or is'nt football and basketball the two revenue generating sports in most athletic programs?

First thanks for answering the question.

Second, I suppose Southern being at the bottom of the conference in basketball (one of the two revenue generating sports in most athletic programs) and having the lowest rated basketball RPI in the conference and one of the lowest in the nation is okay and does not support your theory that they should visit participating at the NCAA Division II level.

JROCK,

Hell, who gives a pigeon's left testicle what AT&T thinks? Their coach recruited all the good players for Hampton, didnt look at the recruitment tapes, have not filled any graduating senior spots with players, and their best alumni is a terrorist.

I guess this is exceptable and an example what is best the on the TSPN Sports Board!!

Shaking My Head!!

Jafus,

With all due respect, why are you trying to justify buffoonery? Southern has the best Black College overall athletic program in the country ( and better than a host of PWC).

Southern is the only basketball program in the SWAC that has won a NCAA tourney game in basketball in the last 10 years.
(not to mention playoff in baseball).

The fact remains, that PV and APB are D-2 programs in disguise and no spin will change that fact. I am sorry, but this is not to defame but rather hard core facts. Finally the test of time is not kind to PV. Your school has been a "bottom feeder" for the last ten years in athletics. It is quite easy to understand why you would welcome Langston. This is not good for the SWAC.

JROCK,

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess this is exceptable and an example what is best the on the TSPN Sports Board!!

Shaking My Head!!

I do not endorse this post.

JROCK,

I am not justifing buffonery. I am willing to set the record straight and debate the entire facts of any argrument. You are wanting me to focus on a limited time in history {(ten years) over 82 year history (12%)}. With all due respect, that is not even 15% of the overall history of the conference. I suppose you get to justify and determine when history starts and should begin to measure a programs success in the SWAC.

While it is true and should be regonized in the history of the SWAC that Southern won a NCAA Tournament Game. It should also be noted that Prairie View A & M is one of three programs (Grambling State and Texas Southern) that have won a National Title in basketball as a SWAC member.

I have know problem with facts, but you are chosen to obscure the facts to justify a limited time period in the overall history of SWAC for your convience to support in my opinion a very weak argument. I am not excepting that short time period in the overall history of SWAC to justify your ideas. Come with meaningful information about the operating athletic budgets to support your argument, please. If you able to support your arguments in those terms I will gladly support the fact that sevaral SWAC school may be interested in and justified in creating their own new conference (GSAC). Until then Think About It!!

Langston is just not a name that gets me excited.... I didnt even know it was a school until about 2 years ago. I think they would be another UAPB in SWAC sports.

What sport is Langston good in?????

I suppose you get to justify and determine when history starts and should begin to measure a programs success in the SWAC.

Its called Southernese...

Jafus,

The complexion of college athletics has vasty changed since P.V. won a NAIA championship. No one is discounting the historical accomplishment of P.V. The fact that it is your opinion that my perspective (not argument) is "weak" wreaks subjectivity. Your record in football the last 15 years is 5wins and 165 losses. For what ever reason your college has opted not to make the investment in athletics. Your school along with APB are in the same class with Langston. I did not say that these schools could not be rehabilitated. The best route to rehab is in D-2. This is not a punishment but rather an antedote.

Its called Southernese...

GR,

Dont you see that two grown folks are talking? Will you all (jsue) be traveling to New Haven College any time soon for a prolific football tilt?

JROCK,

Shaking My Head!!

Well, there is a Roundtable Discussion board that is great for talking about what others think about you and yours. This is the Sports Board, not the Sentimental board. And if truth be known, what does the others (MEAC, SIAC, and other HBCU conferences) have to do with what WE discuss on OUR board? Why is it so interesting to them to take what WE discuss over to their board? Our beloved conference have different issues than theirs and we talk and handle them appropriately. So with all that being said, I could give a pigeon's left testitcle about what THEY think about us. They have their own glass house to worry about.

PS... Carry on..................

What were you saying about grown folks talking? Give it up bruh. Your school was the weakest school in the country, yet you want to talk about not allowing schools in because of some weakness. I think what the logical people on this board are saying is, "you dont have room to talk."

Really, can't any school in the SWAC brag about their athletic programs when playing other schools outside the conference.The only thing we can brag about is attendance in football and my alma mater is no slouch in that dept.Although this past football season was a downer.

What were you saying about grown folks talking? Give it up bruh. Your school was the weakest school in the country, yet you want to talk about not allowing schools in because of some weakness. I think what the logical people on this board are saying is, "you dont have room to talk."

Again,

Stop trying to get attention. The title of this thread is "Langston in the SWAC?" The answer is HELL NO. We have enough weak programs already. Anyone with common sense (that excludes you rent ready) knows that no school is going to be put out. My perspective still stands however. I would rather see an 8 team league and a D-2 conference formed in the southwest.

BTW,

When you are the SUperior athletic program "you do have room to talk." (Dont have me tally up the commissioner cup count again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back