L.L. Cool J and Politics

The Riddler

Buck Buck #1
LL Cool J Backs Pataki for N.Y. Governor
By Stephanie A. Crockett
BET.com Staff Writer

Posted Sept. 27, 2002 -- LL Cool J registered to vote Thursday and announced his support for Gov. George Pataki over H. Carl Mcall, the first Black major-party candidate for governor of New York.

The rapper/actor told the Associated Press the Pataki has done "great things" for his community of Queens.

"The world that I come from, a lot of people aren't interested in politics," he told AP. "But after seeing how the governor handled the 9/11 situation, seeing what happened to this city...I decided, you know what? I'm going to vote, I'm going to register.

Sean "P. Diddy" Combs and Russell Simmons are both backing McCall, who would become New York's first Black governor if he wins the election in November.

But LL said he's not voting by party or race or what's cool.

"It's about action and its about people stepping up," he told AP.

So, my question is: Do you find it interesting that LL isn't going with the Black candidate for governor of New York? Does it bother you, or should voters always vote for the person who they think will do the best job no matter what their party or race?

Originally posted by The Riddler
LL Cool J Backs Pataki for N.Y. Governor
By Stephanie A. Crockett
BET.com Staff Writer

So, my question is: Do you find it interesting that LL isn't going with the Black candidate for governor of New York? Does it bother you, or should voters always vote for the person who they think will do the best job no matter what their party or race?

As African-Americans, we are not monolithic when it comes to who we vote and don't vote for. That's contrary to the belief of white folks, of course. I personally don't have any issue with whom LL chooses to support in the upcoming election. If he feels he's supporting the best candidate for HIM, well, that's what the electoral process is all about. Mr. Simmons has always been politically active, as has Puff/P-diddy to some degree. He "hob-knobs" with the elite jet-set of Southhampton, so it shouldn't be foreign to him.

I'm just happy to see rappers/actors/entertainers of their stature taking part in the process. I wish more of them would do the same, regardless of who they support at the polls.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Very well spoken, AAMU Alum!!

The key is to be involved in the process; no matter what side of the fence you support!!

Rock the Vote!!

;)

Re: Re: L.L. Cool J and Politics

Originally posted by AAMU Alum

As African-Americans, we are not monolithic when it comes to who we vote and don't vote for. That's contrary to the belief of white folks, of course. I personally don't have any issue with whom LL chooses to support in the upcoming election. If he feels he's supporting the best candidate for HIM, well, that's what the electoral process is all about. Mr. Simmons has always been politically active, as has Puff/P-diddy to some degree. He "hob-knobs" with the elite jet-set of Southhampton, so it shouldn't be foreign to him.

I'm just happy to see rappers/actors/entertainers of their stature taking part in the process. I wish more of them would do the same, regardless of who they support at the polls.

Yeah what he said.

Back