Kobe's accuser overdosed two months prior....

THAMES

This May Have Just Saved Kobe's AZZ

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0720/1583145.html

a_bryant_ht.jpg

Kobe Bryant

Sunday, July 20

Report: Incident occurred months before alleged assault

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

The Colorado woman who has accused Kobe Bryant of sexual assault overdosed on pills and was rushed to a hospital two months before the alleged incident with Bryant, one of her close friends told the Orange County Register.

Based on the 19-year-old woman's accusation, Bryant was officially charged with a single count of felony sexual assault Friday. If convicted, he faces four years to life in prison or 20 years to life on probation, and a fine of up to $750,000. Bryant is scheduled to return to Eagle, Colo., for a preliminary hearing on Aug. 6.

Bryant, 24, said Friday that he was guilty only of committing adultery.

In cases of this nature, the credibility of the accuser -- whose identity is not being revealed -- often becomes an issue. The accuser's friends have been keeping her overdose a secret -- until now, the Register reported.

"I think it was just a cry for help," 18-year-old Lindsey McKinney told the newspaper. McKinney had been living at the accuser's house in May, when the woman allegedly took the pills.

When she learned from the woman's ex-boyfriend that the woman had "overdosed," McKinney rushed to her home and found the woman incoherent, lethargic and seemingly drunk, according to the Register.

"I was scared. She wasn't really talking at all," McKinney told the newspaper. "I was like, 'you need to open your eyes.' "

Some friends of the accuser said they believed the overdose was an accident. Not McKinney.

"I don't think it was accidental. I was there," she told the Register.

Tyson Ivie, a former classmate of the accuser's, told the newspaper that the overdose was "a big secret" that friends have been unwilling to talk about until now.

The police dispatch call from the night of the alleged assault is currently sealed from the public by investigators. The woman's father declined comment for the Register's story.

According to the newspaper's report, Bryant's accuser was going through an extremely difficult period in her life at the time of the overdose. She returned home from her freshman year of college to find out her ex-boyfriend had taken up with another woman. Also, around the time of the overdose, close friend Nicole Clements died in a road accident while returning from high school graduation ceremonies.

"It was kind of boom, boom, boom," McKinney told the Register. "I think the things that happened to her in the past had a lot to do with what [she said happened the night of the alleged assault]."

"I know she had been going through a lot, but I know that she wouldn't lie," 19-year-old Eagle resident Ashley Scriver told the newspaper. Scriver also knew about the the overdose.

The Register quoted legal experts as saying the news of the overdose will be a major advantage for Bryant's defense team.

"This is powerful evidence and the answer to the defense's prayers," Robert Pugsley, a criminal law professor at Southwestern University School of Law in Los Angeles, said. Pugsley added that this kind of evidence, if exploited by the defense, could be enough to shut down the case before it reaches trial.

"[Defense attorneys are] looking for a way to demonstrate that this woman is hysterical and over-reactive," Pugsley said. "This is literally dynamite evidence, a bonanza for the defense and a landmine for prosecution."

Bryant's attorneys could not be reached for comment Saturday by the Register.

LOL I doubt if that'll help too much. Especially after he denied doing anything at first and then changing the story to consentual sex. His lawyer could spin it, but then again so could hers.

ESPN just reported this. This info is a plus for the defense. Questions her "character" and motive for the accusations. I hear a cry for ATTENTION!! Comments?

Originally posted by unknown1
LOL I doubt if that'll help too much. Especially after he denied doing anything at first and then changing the story to consentual sex. His lawyer could spin it, but then again so could hers.
Sorry Charlie. This one hurts the D.A. Even without it, they probably wouldn't get a conviction. They better have a rape kit technician testifying that she had vaginal bruises and DNA under her fingernails that matched Kobe. If all they got is her word, they can hang it up. Especially now.

Who'd take the word of an OD'ing drug addict??? A suicidal OD'ing drug addict. Yeah, I know, nobody said she was an addict. But somebody in that article said they didn't think it was intentional, that it was an accident. Sounds to me that she pops pills regularly.

D.A. would be wise to save the State's money and buy some stationery or something.

So, that law or whatever shielding her history applies only to her sexual history?

This is going to be a case of credibility, with this latest information will make the church girl image some what impossible. Kobe is guilty of being stupid, arrogant, and a sh**head in thinking that he can sleep with any white girl and get away with it. I hope he learns from this experience that he is not Superman but a blackman who is a couple of charges (possibly false) away from jail.

This wont help Kobe! It might hurt him with the people in the community if they think he is digging up her past to smear her character. The trial is in her community!

Originally posted by unknown1

Now you see this is a perfect example of how easy it has become to sell the public anything.

Kobe never denied doing anything,understand that he is accuse of sexual assault and that is what the reporters ask of him,did you sexually assault this women.

His answer was, you guys know me, I would never do anything like that.

They weren't asking if he slept with her, you don't go to jail just for sleeping with someone.

She accuse him of sexaully assaulting her and that is what reporters ask if he did and that is what he replied too.

If the D.A. is stupid enough to try and use that spin his @ss will get crushed.

Originally posted by Olde Hornet
This wont help Kobe! It might hurt him with the people in the community if they think he is digging up her past to smear her character. The trial is in her community!

Kobe's Lawyers didn't dig this up. Some lady that stayed at her folks house and other people locally have told the press this.

Like Robber said, this hurts the DA. Just don't be so sure that her community is all behind her either. Some folks will spill their guts to be heard or seen. So if she has skeletons, they will be exposed.

Plus Kobe's attorney is a well known local attorney. So she knows how that community reacts to stuff. Good move on his part hiring her. She will be able to do things a outside attorney can't. She also knows the weaknesses and strengths of the D. A. 's office there. This may not even make it to trial. Got a feeling ole girl has some issues. Kobe may get lucky.

Originally posted by Olde Hornet

This young lady's "friends" in the community shared this information with reporters. Boy, I'll tell ya ... with "friends" like these ...

Kobe didn't go seeking out this information. This, like other things (apparently), just kinda landed in his lap ...

Originally posted by thedesr
This is going to be a case of credibility, with this latest information will make the church girl image some what impossible. Kobe is guilty of being stupid, arrogant, and a sh**head in thinking that he can sleep with any white girl and get away with it. I hope he learns from this experience that he is not Superman but a blackman who is a couple of charges (possibly false) away from jail.

Well Kobe can get away with sleeping with white girls if he likes. Wouldn't be my preference. He just picked the wrong one. He's married for one and secondly she was young and it appears she maybe unstable. Alot of those black celebs hook up with white women all the time and don't get charged with rape. I mean Dr. J did it, Michael Jordan did it, hell you know Wesley Snipes azz was doing it, so it is all about "what white girl or better yet, what type of women you deal with. Any of them can get you in trouble when you are a celeb. regardless of color. I would rather he stick to the sistahs, but to each his own. Look at sorry azz Clarence Thomas. He was almost brought down by a sister, but is married to a white woman. You would have thought it would have been the other way around. LOL

Originally posted by bluedog
Now you see this is a perfect example of how easy it has become to sell the public anything.

Kobe never denied doing anything,understand that he is accuse of sexual assault and that is what the reporters ask of him,did you sexually assault this women.

They weren't asking if he slept with her, you don't go to jail just for sleeping with someone.

She accuse him of sexaully assaulting her and that is what reporters ask if he did and that is what he replied too.

If the D.A. is stupid enough to try and use that spin he's @ss will get crushed.

:tup: :tup: Bluedog, you beat me to it.

Even before this story came out in the media, some people in that town were saying that she was not all sweet and innocent. These were not written statements but TV interviews.

Like so many have said, it is getting ugly.

Originally posted by bluedog

If the D.A. is stupid enough to try and use that spin he's @ss will get crushed.

I am cosigning this. Some sport's writers need to see this.

The female defense lawyer successfully Patrick Roy, the former Colorado Avalanche goalie, in a domestic violence case.

This is just a feeling. But I get the feeling that the D.A. would be overmatch in this case. It is just a feeling that I have.

A woman could have regular vigorous sex and have vaginal bruises. I fail to see how this constitutes rape. Remember how Marv Albert and his ex woman used to have rough sex. Biting and the whole 9. When he tried to kick her ass to the curb, then she wanted to scream rape. Of course she would have bruises and scratches...that's the kind of sex they had. This whole thing smells like a set up to me.

the news said not everybody is behind her....

I was watching various news networks and they said the girl has to stay inside or she doesn't want to go outside anymore because people in the community has been calling her names and calling her house and harrassing her.

I bet this girl didn't realize what kind of mess she's gotten herself into, she might of wanted attention but I promise she didn't want this kind of attention. They said she always wanted publicity and wanted to be on television shows, hmmmmmm. Wasn't she like an American Idol reject or something, i know she tried out for one of those reality shows. I bet she'll end up writing a book about this or doing somethin in return for fame and money.

I've got a "theory" on what could have happened.

If this young girl is indeed as "agressive" as some of the people who know her are saying, I think she decided that she needed to tell her friends that "she slept with Kobe," if that's what happened. According to him, it is. She's been reported to be the kind of person to crave the spotlight. And I don't know how much "hiding out" she can do. If this case goes to trial, SHE WILL HAVE TO TAKE THE WITNESS STAND! There will be no way to avoid it.

Now, this doesn't get Kobe off the hook. I'm not necessarily a Kobe Bean (what was his mother thinking, here?) Bryant fan. He was stupid as Hell to even say two words to this girl! He is not a victim here! And like most people who enjoy his kind of stature, he most likely felt like he was untouchable in a situation like this. These kinds of cases make it hard for women who have actually been assaulted in this manner.

If it does go to trial, I've got a feeling that he will most likely be found innocent. Not solely because of his high priced and high profile defense team, but simply because what he says happened (in my opinion) most likely is the truth.

The sad thing about the whole issue, is that the lives of two young people...one an international celebrity, and the other, just a teen-ager in Colorado will be changed forever...and not for the good.

:smh:

Back