KKPsi and TBS more bad than good?

Two of the best marching bands in the nation, The Human Jukebox and Sonic Boom of the South, no longer have active chapters of Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma which I find interesting. We all know they succumbed first and foremost due to illegal and dangerous hazing rituals.

So do ya'll think it's a good thing if they disappear b/c having them can obviously create more division/drama in the band? Or do you all think having them gone will put them at a disadvantage for recruitment of new talent a/g schools with active chapters such as Texas Southern, Grambling, Alcorn, etc? But to be honest, SU and JSU has never been better in my opinion

Leave your thoughts below .....

KKPSI nor TBS has caused division. The schools that dont have these entities had issues so their chapters got taken, nothing more, nothing less. Just because SU or JSU doesn't have KKPSI doesn't mean that everyone else shouldn't especially if other chapters are very beneficial to their programs. SU and JSU have always had good band programs, better? That is opinion because the bands in the 90's on back were better all around. The problems are the band directors stop blaming KKPSI and TBS. Yes you you're gonna have some chapters that do right but majority do. Psi and TBS have purposes and are very relevant.

Last edited:
Yep, the band directors I had knew we would handle the business better than anyone else in the band.
The mentality now is just crazy to a point compared to what we came up with

There is no cancer about these organizations, you always have a bad apple here or there but that can be controlled. Don't compare what one or two have done with the overall organization

Some of that now had to do with how schools have regulated organizations pledging schedule as compared to Pan Hellenic organizations schedules. When I came thru you could pledge a non Pan organization with 15 credit hours as compared to a Pan you had to have 30.

It's those comparisons of sections to the real Frats that's bad.

Yep, we didn't have this section crap they got going on now. You can't even call them Crabs anymore. Just like you JR, I was on a big line (19 in all) and we all came out great.

And we always appreciated the PV bruhs and sisters when we were neo’s. Always remember district at LSU!

If you don’t think Doc allowed Psi to run the program in the 80s. I got swampland to sell you. Psi did exactly what he wanted and carried out his message. You can continue to listen to your peeps. They have their opinions. But if they told you that PSI was an issue during that time. Maybe they had an issue. It was Doc’s choice and a reason why we were in his ear. Do you know who Derrick Warren is? Ansel Bradford? Doc Paulin? Kevin Pidgeon? Donald Hornbuckle? Darrius Emanuael? Carmin Garrett? Warren Smith? Kenneth Carmouche? None of his leaders were disruptive.

I have gotten more, “he wasn’t going to allow it to be a problem” stories from folks vs them saying it was a problem. I never wrote that “it was a problem” at SU because I wasn’t told that and I wasn’t there.

Psi and TBS are needed. I’m pretty confident that if SU chapter was active during the PV altercation that would have never taken place.

As a member of the Gamma Omega chapter in the late 90’s. We had to develop a trust that Mr Lee could depend on us we ran the band and made his job a lot easier

We as members realized that we were there to serve and the entire band was our family. We looked out for everyone regardless of who you were.

During these recent times the emergence of pledging a section has dominated many schools taking away the value of being a member of PSi or TBS

What creates the division are the individuals not the organization.

Reactions: JR
Strength in numbers can be a plus because when reflect upon my time it was 15 of us that crossed and beauty was you had multiple personalities that new how to connect to all the different personalities in the band to move everyone on who accord.

that fight would've happened regardless or not if PSI was there.

being around several bands over time I think some bands need the organizations more than others but like JR said, you got to manage growth,

The existence of both mentioned organizations are vital to the band program as long as they are viable members. You must first TRAIN and HOLD members to the standard you must have as a director and select people that will be the prototype of the director's philosophy. If the members are doing that then the need for sections and section pledging is unneeded. It when poor members are vaulted and given membership does the mission fails.

JR you are good! I guess that’s why you are my Big Brother!! Psi a cancer? In Docs band? Doc did bring Psi to the Jukebox right? Correction- cancer. I wonder what the hell I was thinking in 1990 to walk line EVERYDAY to pledge the “cancer” that Doc brought... all these fables.. blah, blah, blah. I remember 1992... lmao “Doc he told me to do a push-up and he was very mean to me”. “Who told you to do a push-up CRAB?” “Him with the blue shirt on”. “Frat can he do a push-up?” “No Doc”. “Well isht, can he play?” “Doc he can’t walk and chew gum at the same time”. “Oh yeah, I remember you, your band director couldn’t blow his nose when he was here and neither can you! Tell your Momma to come get you!” “Frat, good looking out. One less cry baby I have to worry about. This is no day care!” Lol
Dang social media

Back