Kentucky State, Virginia State considering move up to Division I to join MEAC

The MEAC Sports getting VSU, Chicago State University, and Kentucky State University would totally revive the conference and get the MEAC jumping again.

Not really in grand scheme - only VA State has any real value - Chicago State has basically been kicked out the WAC and no one wants them. KSU is another outlier. Maybe they need to think OVC

Wonder why Morehouse hasn't made the move.
I want morehouse to come to the swac. that atlanta market, with a swac schedule would be bananas. they don't have to play on campus. they could play at ga state or get arthur blank to open up the dome for them to show he supports the black folks.

Why would they rent somewhere else to lose money? Ga State ain't giving that away free and won't even talk about the Dome

I want morehouse to come to the swac. that atlanta market, with a swac schedule would be bananas. they don't have to play on campus. they could play at ga state or get arthur blank to open up the dome for them to show he supports the black folks.

Spelman scrapping intercollegiate athletics screwed up things for Morehouse, which has Title IX issues based off its status as a men's only institution.

Besides, if they really wanted to be Division I ... they would've moved up when AAMU and UAPB moved up in the 90s.

MEAC needs all 3. They need stability at this point
Just like the Big South did with A&T and Hampton

But What does each bring to the table worth bragging on outside Virginia State? Chicago State is a huge gamble and Kentucky State is too far out the footprint. CSU has several leagues close by to join so why would they waste resources trying to go to the MEAC?

Just like the Big South did with A&T and Hampton

But What does each bring to the table worth bragging on outside Virginia State? Chicago State is a huge gamble and Kentucky State is too far out the footprint. CSU has several leagues close by to join so why would they waste resources trying to go to the MEAC?

Do any of those leagues near CSU want them?

Don't see what MEAC loses unless they piss off the current members.

At the end of the day I don't think any of those schools will join the MEAC. What advantage/benefit is gained by any them making that move? What does the MEAC have to offer? It is a sinking conference that appears to be desperate for any life line available. If Virginia State makes that move the bargaining chip is in their hand. Joining the MEAC is a favor to the MEAC so they should get every concession out of them there is to be got because there is little else to benefit from.

If any of the aforementioned schools make that leap of faith they may find themselves tucking their tails and headed right back to their conference of origin the same as Winston Salem State had to years ago.

At the end of the day I don't think any of those schools will join the MEAC. What advantage/benefit is gained by any them making that move? What does the MEAC have to offer? It is a sinking conference that appears to be desperate for any life line available. If Virginia State makes that move the bargaining chip is in their hand. Joining the MEAC is a favor to the MEAC so they should get every concession out of them there is to be got because there is little else to benefit from.

If any of the aforementioned schools make that leap of faith they may find themselves tucking their tails and headed right back to their conference of origin the same as Winston Salem State had to years ago.
Oh, if it's out like this, we'll hear announcements by June 30th from KYSU and VSU. However, no one wants Chicago State. Not even the MEAC. They don't even have the sports the MEAC needs members to have (baseball & football).

I think they would rather put their money into the Arts and not into athletics.

They must skip over band and go straight to the drama, graphic design & other arts

or better yet, renovate Morris

I found this interesting out of the HBCU gameday article

With re-alignment a reality across the college athletics landscape, things can and are changing quickly. The source tells us that there could be mutual interest between a few current MEAC programs and the American East, which just lost Hartford as it moved to DIII.

That's not a renovation, it's a complete tear down and start over.
That's fine though. They could play off campus a few seasons while they secure funding and build excitement. rebuild that @ 25k seats or so would be nice.

The MEAC Sports getting VSU, Chicago State University, and Kentucky State University would totally revive the conference and get the MEAC jumping again.
I’m thinking the MEAC would value adding football-playing schools. Chicago State isn’t in any position to make that a reality.

https://sportsenthusiasts.net/2021/...sity-what-will-the-future-hold-after-the-wac/

The performance on the athletic courts and fields has shown how much recruiting has suffered in the last decade. Chicago State men’s basketball posted 6 consecutive 20+ loss seasons starting in 2014-15 with the streak only halted by the suspension of the 2020-21 season due to COVID (the Cougars started 0-9)

First, black students make up the majority of Chicago State’s enrollment. Chicago State and the current HBCUs, among others, are all members of the Thurgood Marshall College Fund, which seeks to provide assistance to HBCU and predominantly black institutions. Speaking of enrollment, Chicago State would have a similar enrollment size to Coppin State, Maryland Eastern Shore, and South Carolina State.

The obvious negative to this plan is the travel. Chicago State would essentially be swapping out cross-country travel to the West for the same to the East. Unfortunately for Chicago State, they do not offer football (and it is not recommended they start offering it due to the large costs involved and the current athletic budget struggle Chicago State already has). The MEAC also doesn’t sponsor women’s golf so Chicago State would have to find a new conference for that sport.

Chicago State would also likely need to pay an application fee and a membership fee to the MEAC. The most recent cost of an application fee was $10,000 – back in 2009 – when Savannah State decided to move up from Division II. The latest MEAC mbermship fee is rumored to be around $250,000. Chicago State would also need to sign a contract keeping them in the conference for a stated period of time. Given the MEAC’s recent string of departures, any exit fee would be substantial for any school to serve as a deterrent from leaving the conference.

Aside from an excuse to recruit in Chicago-they don't bring anything to the table of substance.

Who wants another team that is winless in non conference games in basketball.
Trust. The MEAC declined them once before and they're lukewarm on them now.

Last edited:

That was a depressing read. They need to face reality because denial isn't going to solve anything.

NAIA makes the most sense for them in my opinion. Working within their existing budget they would probably be able to bring back football, baseball and enhance academic support for all their athletes. They also would highly likely become competive again and constantly be in contention for conference championships.

There is no shame in a well thought out solution grounded in common sense. I wish them well and hope common sense prevails.

After reading the article, it appears that KSU wants to makes the move but needs that application fee to the MEAC waived. Similar to size as Valley, they would fit the HBCU mold but would be an outlier as previously mentioned

VSU is the most logical choice and ready for the jump but it seems like they have cold feet and don't wanna upset daddy VA

Chicago State is just trying to find someone to want them

Back