Kentucky State, Virginia State considering move up to Division I to join MEAC

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
VSU would be perfect.

Kentucky State would take them from almost being an exclusive bus trip conference but would be interesting with that option and access to better D1 athletes

VSU would come into the MEAC with a natural rivalry with Norfolk State, one of the newest and best basketball facilities of all HBCU’s, and the travel footprint that easily accessible by bus.

Good move for Virginia State but Kentucky State’s footprint seems to be closer to the SWAC than the MEAC.

As long as both teams have their $1.7 Million Dollar fee for the NCAA to make the move from D2 to D1, then I'll say "go for it."

Virginia State is a better fit geographically. Kentucky State's travel budget will be quite expensive especially since they would be making long trips to the East Coast.

Morehouse athletics broke... have you seen their facilities???? IMO the whole school broke. They must put all their money into endowment. The school looks horrible.
I’ll bet if Spike Lee and Samuel L. Jackson wrote big enough checks they’d make the move.

Why people think endowments work like checking and savings accounts regular people have?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
As long as both teams have their $1.7 Million Dollar fee for the NCAA to make the move from D2 to D1, then I'll say "go for it."

Virginia State is a better fit geographically. Kentucky State's travel budget will be quite expensive especially since they would be making long trips to the East Coast.
How often does Kentucky State travel to Al, Fl, and Ga?

This would be great, it it happens. The MEAC does not need to go to the grave. Dennis Thomas is a great administrator and a great man. I had the privilege of being associated with him when he was at Alcorn State University and I was a student.

The travel issues of the two defectors, were not his doing.

How often does Kentucky State travel to Al, Fl, and Ga?

Short answer. Never traveling Florida, Alabama or Georgia if a member of the MEAC as currently constructed. However, each trip would be 7.5 to 10 hours drive one way to the members.

Kentucky State to South Carolina State ... that's about 493 miles.
to NCCU is 493 miles
to Howard is 553
to Coppin State is 554
to Morgan State is 569
to Norfolk State is 602
to Delaware State is 639
to Maryland-Eastern Shore is 681 miles

That's slightly further than how far they travel for football against divisional members in the SIAC

This only makes business sense for Virginia State, and even that's questionable because they would have to increase scholarships for the sixteen sports they play or look at possibly dropping two or three spots. The FCS is not a money maker, but if that's what they want I wish them well.

This only makes business sense for Virginia State, and even that's questionable because they would have to increase scholarships for the sixteen sports they play or look at possibly dropping two or three spots. The FCS is not a money maker, but if that's what they want I wish them well.
True, and money could be better used for up keep of the school.

Back