Kennedy Center Honors, Beyonce Keeps "Big Wheels" Turning

Dr. Tripp

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/06/AR2005120600022.html

Beyonce Keeps On Turning

By Amy Argetsinger and Roxanne Roberts

Tuesday, December 6, 2005; Page C01

Even with a Kennedy Center Honors crowd primed and ready for the obligatory "surprise" celebrity appearances, the announcement near the very end of Sunday's show sent a thrill through the room:

"Ladies and gentlemen -- Beyonce ."
PH2005120600345.jpg

Beyonce Knowles did Tina Turner proud with her second take of "Proud Mary." (Joan Marcus)

And there she was, Miz Bootylicious herself, in a sparkly thigh-baring Bob Mackie thingy and stilettos, flinging that mane of hair, pumping those curvy gams and belting "Proud Mary" in such a perfect channeling of honoree Tina Turner circa 1971 that the kind of people who probably don't know from Destiny's Child -- and face it, that's mostly who goes to these things -- were going berserk.

What could be better? Try a second take. Due to a mike problem, the hip-hop princess taped a do-over for the television broadcast of the show -- but after the audience had left for dinner, reports our colleague Teresa Wiltz. So the only folks watching a performance that producers say blew the first one out of the water were a few Secret Service officers, a highly appreciative core of ushers -- and Turner herself, who lingered behind and blew kisses from the presidential box as Beyonce worked up a second sweat.

"I don't know how you did that," the breathless 24-year-old called up to Turner as she concluded the high-aerobic routine. "I'm about to pass out!"

It was a memorable moment of diva graciousness -- and then it was over. As some 1,800 donors, politicians and performers took their seats in the Grand Foyer for the traditional post-show dinner, Turner's table was empty. She and four friends had decamped to Georgetown's Bistro Francais.

Though the gala comes at the end of a wearying weekend of fetes, it is customary for honorees to make at least a short appearance for dinner to greet VIP and not-so-VIP fans. Eyebrows were raised, but Turner's rep insisted it was no snub: After sticking around for the retake, she went backstage to thank Beyonce (whose Mackie dress Turner once wore), Oprah Winfrey and Queen Latifah , who all had paid tribute to her in the show. "It was late when we were done and dinner had been served so we decided to get a quick bite on the way to the hotel," said spokeswoman Michele Schweitzer . At the bistro, Turner ordered the Black Angus sirloin and signed autographs for fans until 1 a.m.

The Kennedy Centers Honors will air Dec. 27 at 9 p.m. ET/PT on CBS

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
They couldn't have found a better performer to pay tribute to Tina. :tup: She (Tina) is still foine as hell after all these years!

I think Beyonce will have a career much like Tina's...she's already a double threat (movies and music.) She was bomb as "Foxy Cleopatra" in that Austin Powers movie! And while I wasn't that crazy about "The Fighting Temptations," she was good in that.

silentrage said:
She did a really good rendition of Proud Mary.

:tup: to Queen Latifah also.

:tdown: to Melissa Ethridge.
What's wrong with Melissa????
I appreciated her aggressive interpretation of "River Deep"

Al Green was kool too.

Sometimes I wished he would just calm down and sing the song.

I thought Melissa was AWESOME too! She sung the hell out of River Deep. Who could have done it better. All of Tina's presenters, including Oprah, were great.

The entire show was good. I loved Tony Bennett and his presenters second best. Most of them were BLACK! :tup: He is a great singer. All in all the show was great and left me on the edge of my sweet and emotional for all 5 of the inductees.

:lol: @ Legend. Yes, Al gets a little carried away doesn't he! I think he forgot the words in the beginning! :emlaugh: I love him STILL!

Good Lawd Beyonce

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

I really wasnt a big fan of hers until lately.........Beautiful, Sexy & Thick Woman w/ Awesome Vocals........You cant ask for better than that:mrt:

Beyonce made Daddy very Happy......:love: :love:

All the tributes were great.

Queen displayed Tina's Charm

Melissa brought the raw energy and energy.

And Baby Girl Beyonce sexiness and energy.

Oh Yeah Al brought the Soul

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I missed the show. I think Macy Gray should have been included in the tribute to Tina; I would love hearing Macy sing Tina Turner’s "Private Dancer"

Back