Ken Burns' New Documentary 'East Lake Meadows: A Public Housing Story'

Mace

Ken Burns' New Documentary 'East Lake Meadows: A Public Housing Story'
By EMILY WOODBURY MAR 23, 2020

Ken Burns' new film, "East Lake Meadows: A Public Housing Story," explores the history of a former public housing community in Atlanta.
CREDIT PBS
Documentarian Ken Burns’ latest work, “East Lake Meadows: A Public Housing Story,” explores the history of a former public housing community in Atlanta. It features the stories of residents and raises critical questions about race, poverty and public assistance.
The film premieres Tuesday, March 24, at 7 p.m. on PBS.
On Monday’s St. Louis on the Air, host Sarah Fenske talked with Burns about his film. Burns also shared his take on the current health crisis posed by COVID-19 and the value of looking back at history to inform us in these uncertain times.
Hear their conversation:

St. Louis on the Air” brings you the stories of St. Louis and the people who live, work and create in our region. The show is hosted by Sarah Fenske and produced by Alex Heuer, Emily Woodbury, Evie Hemphill, Lara Hamdan and Joshua Phelps. The engineer is Aaron Doerr, and production assistance is provided by Charlie McDonald.

East Lake now put a capital G in Gentrification. I had dinner in that area about a month ago and still amazed at all of these businesses that have sprung up and nice homes. I remember when there were streetwalkers and drug selling flooding that area.

Reactions: EB
East Lake now put a capital G in Gentrification. I had dinner in that area about a month ago and still amazed at all of these businesses that have sprung up and nice homes. I remember when there were streetwalkers and drug selling flooding that area.
Yes it has really changed. What I'm really proud of is some folks I know who were actually in the streets in that area changed their lives and now have businesses over there. Amazing how when black folks learn that you can make three times the amount legit and not look over your shoulder in the area you once abused can turn life around.

The best thing to ever happen to Atlanta was the Olympics. It changed the city for ever. If Atlanta hadn't won the Olympics it would've been just like Birmingham and memphis crime out of control. The Olympics forced the city and state to clean up Atlanta. Something other southern states have never duplicated or figured out yet.

Back