Kanye West

It used to be about samples and beats when you had DJ's who would spin B-sides at a party and some cat (a MC) would freestyle over it. This is now the age of writing your lyrics down, and laying down production. Sampling is cool, but let it not be so obvious. When you lead a track with a voice over, and make a pattern out of it, it gets old. I like the tracks but I think I like Kanye more when it was a few tracks on a cd with that style. He has put up a whole cd of stolen classics. He has the ability to come up with some catchy stuff if he wanted to. I think he is buying into all of the hype about how creative he is. He doesn't realize all the sound-a-like producers are on to him. Look for the market to be flooded with Blaxploitation themes, and Body and Soul samples in 2004.

That song with Talib Kwalib and Common is HOT!!!!!

"My name is EllieMay from Mobile, Alabama, and thanks to Kanye West Workout Video Im dating outside the family, I have WI :confused: , and I rode a Plane."

:lmao:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Originally posted by Dirty
It used to be about samples and beats when you had DJ's who would spin B-sides at a party and some cat (a MC) would freestyle over it. This is now the age of writing your lyrics down, and laying down production. Sampling is cool, but let it not be so obvious. When you lead a track with a voice over, and make a pattern out of it, it gets old. I like the tracks but I think I like Kanye more when it was a few tracks on a cd with that style. He has put up a whole cd of stolen classics. He has the ability to come up with some catchy stuff if he wanted to. I think he is buying into all of the hype about how creative he is. He doesn't realize all the sound-a-like producers are on to him. Look for the market to be flooded with Blaxploitation themes, and Body and Soul samples in 2004.

Once again, this is not a new phenomenon. A lot of hip-hop classics had "obvious" samples or recognizable loops, so what Kanye West is doing is not out of the ordinary.

Actually, your history lesson was a little inaccurate because "laying down production" didn't just start in the late-'80's/early-'90's either(a lot of early rap records had original beats). Hell, if we want to talk "obvious" samples what about all of those James Brown samples from back in the '80's? Those weren't exactly obscure beats either. The record that is credited as the first rap record on wax("Rapper's Delight", although others dispute that claim)sampled what was a very recent hit at the time. There are endless lists of hits and CDs with obvious old-school samples on it, so I don't see why people are coming down on West for doing the same thing.

Who didn't know that the beat from "You Gots to Chill" was "More Bounce to the Ounce"? Who didn't hear "Regulate" for the first time and say "Hey, isn't that Michael McDonald?"? I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one because I don't see the big problem here.

I have not heard the CD but if I had to make a statement about the single that is playing on the airwaves, it would be:

"I am not impressed"

Its kind of strange when someone brought up this dude on the same board last november and the thread received minimal response. Now all of a sudden everybody wants to be critical. I see nobody had a problem with "guess whos back" by Scarface or "j to the izzo". You all should have done your complaining back then. I have more over a reason to criticize him more than anybody and I give him his props. What current producer do you a think is the coldest excluding Dre and The Neptunes. This will probably answer the question as far as taste is concerned. Don't even think about bringing up Timbaland and Puffy.

Kanye is one of the hottest produces right now. Let him have is Shine, damn.

He also did that Alicia Keys cut too.

Originally posted by jag4life
But dude...he is not using the beats in most of the songs...he is JUST using the vocals...that's different in itself....

Oh yeah...Overnight Celebrity is not on the cd...you must have the bootleg.

Man, this song is cold!

Most of you all should have a change of heart about this dude by now. If you all have heard "Jesus Walks" and "All Fall Down", ain't no way you could not have an appreciation for him.

Originally posted by northern tiger
Its kind of strange when someone brought up this dude on the same board last november and the thread received minimal response. Now all of a sudden everybody wants to be critical. I see nobody had a problem with "guess whos back" by Scarface or "j to the izzo". You all should have done your complaining back then. I have more over a reason to criticize him more than anybody and I give him his props. What current producer do you a think is the coldest excluding Dre and The Neptunes. This will probably answer the question as far as taste is concerned. Don't even think about bringing up Timbaland and Puffy.

:bowdown:

I have to admit that a lot of the songs have to grow on me, but it is not a bad first effort.

I like All Fall Down with Syleena Johnson (phizone) with that down home bluesy voice of hers.

Originally posted by Killer Bees
I have to admit that a lot of the songs have to grow on me, but it is not a bad first effort.

I like All Fall Down with Syleena Johnson (phizone) with that down home bluesy voice of hers.

Man, The CD is a classic! :cool:

Still singing in my head.....

Alpha's step, Omeag's step, Kappa's step, Sigma's step.....

Originally posted by JSU*Toi
Kanye is hot... :tup: his album is one of the few I can listen to completely.

<center> :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2: :nod2:
So True!
I even like the cut ole bway is just talking over. Bottom line...it
feels like old school hip-hop....ya'll remember when cats actually
had something significant to say.
</center>

My Fav's:
Jesus Walks
Family Business
School Spirit
Slow Jams
Through the Wire
Two Words
All Fall Down
<marquee>Basically: THE WHOLE DAYUM CD!!!!!</marquee>

~Astrya

*...and if this takes away from my spins
which will probably take away from my ends
I hope it takes away from my sins
and bring the day that i'm dreaming 'bout
next time i'm in the club everybody screamin out
((((JESUS Walks))))...*

:tup:

WHAT?

Originally posted by Prodigy
This CD sucks big time if you ask me. Major disapointment! :tdown:

That new Twista is fire though! :tup:
:nod:

OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE NOT A TRUE HIP HOP FAN. THAT ALBUM IS TIGHT BASICALLY FROM BEGINNING TO END.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Re: WHAT?

Originally posted by geezy76
OBVIOUSLY YOU ARE NOT A TRUE HIP HOP FAN. THAT ALBUM IS TIGHT BASICALLY FROM BEGINNING TO END.

Don't you ever challenge me when it comes to being a hip hop fan. I am tried and true. You really just insulted me. :mad:

Just b/c I don't like the Kanye joint? You gotta be kidding me. I didn't know it was the measuring stick for all hip hop. Source Magazine send help! :smh:

:tdown:

Re: Re: WHAT?

Just b/c I don't like the Kanye joint? You gotta be kidding me. I didn't know it was the measuring stick for all hip hop. Source Magazine send help! :smh:

The Source isn't a true measuring stick either.

Re: Re: WHAT?

So outta da 21 joints on the cd....you mean to tell me you don't even like half of them! :eek:

:idea: okay....well 21 joints is pushing it, cuz it's like 6 interludes on the cd! :lol:

but on da real..it's gotta be some cuts you think are tight to death! --JESUS WALKS......ALL FALLS DOWN.......NEVER LET ME DOWN....SPACESHIPS......

C'mon.....something gotta have your head bobbing..... :emlaugh:

Yo Kanye, stick to producing!!

Kanye can't rap to save his life. His best bet is to ghostwrite. Dude has lyrics, but his flow and delivery is straight horrible. I don't even know how a true head could debate that.

To be generous to the lil dude I can say that he seems to flow better on collabo's. I guess the competition helps him.

Re: Yo Kanye, stick to producing!!

Originally posted by Mr. Matriculation
Kanye can't rap to save his life. His best bet is to ghostwrite. Dude has lyrics, but his flow and delivery is straight horrible. I don't even know how a true head could debate that.

Dude. He had reconstruction surgery on his jaw. That is why his speech is off a little. Did you listen to Through the Wire? Just imagine if he didn't have that mishap. Some of these reviews on this thread would be totally different.

To be generous to the lil dude I can say that he seems to flow better on collabo's. I guess the competition helps him.

The dude just sounds like himself. Thats what you are supposed to do. And his lyrics must be tight as LL if his "so called " delivery is that bad to pay him that kind of compliment.

Cats were saying he couldn't rap BEFORE the accident. His lyrics are okay at times but it seems like he mimics alot of other people when he rhymes. He needs to find his own voice. I have had the cd for a while and it still doesn't grab as anything phenomenal.

I wore out my first copy of Talib Kweli's Quality.. I plan on getting another one this week. <---- Now that is a tight album *Kanye did his thing on production*

I am not crucifying the man, he has talent. He just isn't going to lock anything down.

I see...if you don't like Kanye West then you're not a hip hop fan. I guess also if you didn't like D'Angelo Brown Sugar...you're not an R&B fan. If you don't like Grover Washington Jrs All My Tomorrow you're not a jazz fan and if you didn't like Sean Paul's Dutty Rock...you're not a Reggae Dancehall fan.

Some people liked Kanye's Mess...some people didn't. That shouldn't determine whether or not someone likes hip hop or the fact that you know more about music than that person.

:(

Kanye can't rap to save his life. His best bet is to ghostwrite. Dude has lyrics, but his flow and delivery is straight horrible.

So I guess SOURCE Magazine giving Through the Wire Lyrics of the Year was all a fluke, huh? :rolleyes:

Back