Just in from morning service....

JSU/99

Since my pastor preached about lying this morning during church, I'm gonna be honest about what I saw at last night's game.

Offense: The short passing game was working ok, we should've stuck with it. The running game was fine also, McLaurin played like a man. The problems came when we tried to get to greedy and go for the deep ball. Kent's interceptions were a combination of Grambling's defense and in my opinion, the recievers not fighting hard enough for the ball. I'm still not convinced about Calvin Spears but Pearson and Brown are pretty good. They played us kinda like Southern did, taking away the reciever screen and the deep passes. We should've been happy with running the ball and throwing 5-10 yard outs to the recievers.

Defense: Other than a problem covering Washington, I thought the defense played well. They shut down the running game and even though Hymes hurt us on a couple of improvisations, this unit played well enough to win.

Special Teams: Several times Grambling started deep in our territory, and that hurt. I can't harp on the 2 missed field goals cause we shouldn't have attempted them in the first place. I blame Hughes on those. Our chances of converting on 4 and 8 are greater than us making a 40 yard kick. The punt fake that led to a Grambling TD in the second was just a good call and well-executed play. We should've been watching for it, though.

Final Analysis: Grambling has a good team and other than a couple of dumb penalties, they did a good job of not beating themselves. However, the defense and the running game put us in a position to win this game, but we just couldn't pull it out this time. I'll grant that Grambling has talent, but this is not an overwhelming team in my opinion. Their coaches did a better job of preparing them.

Let the church say amen.

Back