JSU's Stoglin gets 1-year contract to prove himself

bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
I am sure there will be mix reviews but hey to each is his/her own......

March 20, 2002

JSU's Stoglin gets 1-year contract to prove himself

A successful season could yield multi-year contract
By Mark Alexander
Clarion-Ledger Staff Writer

Jackson State's men's basketball players gathered Tuesday afternoon at the Athletics and Assembly Center ready to go to bat for their head coach.

As it turned out, that wasn't necessary.

JSU athletic director Roy Culberson informed Andy Stoglin earlier in the day that his contract would be renewed for one year.

The decision came after a series of meetings between Culberson and Stoglin in recent weeks. Culberson said after evaluating Stoglin and the program he "felt like Coach Stoglin deserved another year."

"If he's able to continue the development of the men's basketball program in a positive manner, then there's a chance he could be given a multi-year contract at the end of next season," Culberson said. "If he's unable to do that, then his contract will not be renewed again."

Stoglin is 187-198 in 13 seasons at JSU and 220-221 in 15 seasons overall.

JSU finished 9-19 overall this season, losing 60-56 at Alabama State in the opening round of the Southwestern Athletic Conference Tournament. The Tigers tied for sixth in the SWAC at 8-10 along with Prairie View, which fired longtime coach Elwood Plummer on Monday.

It was a trying season for Stoglin, who was working on the final year of a two-year contract. In November, seven players were suspended from the team and arrested on alleged sexual assault charges. Three transferred to other schools, and the other four were reinstated in late February after a grand jury refused to return an indictment against them. Two games after their return, JSU was involved in an ugly melee following a game at Alabama A&M.

"I could be mad that I didn't get more than one year, but really I'm pleased to have another shot," Stoglin said. "It could have very easily gone the other way. I think the administration was fair in this. I understand there were a lot of questions, a lot of question marks. But at the same time, I think my staff and I did an outstanding job this season considering the circumstances. We were competitive every night.

"It's unfortunate the things that happened this year. It was a setback, but I can't worry about that. I have to move on and get ready for next season."

Culberson said he and Stoglin discussed various phases of the program, ranging from "heavier recruiting within the city of Jackson" to the "continuation of playing up-tempo, crowd-pleasing basketball."

Culberson declined comment when asked if Stoglin had to reach a certain number of wins or certain finish in the SWAC next season to have his contract renewed again.

"There's always pressure in this business," Stoglin said. "That's my motivation. I'm taking this even more personal now than before. This gives me another chance to prove to people that I can coach. I can do it as well as anybody at any level. My goal is to make him (Culberson) look good for bringing me back."

Stoglin loses seven seniors off this year's team. Eight lettermen return, however, including leading scorer Tim Henderson and leading rebounder Cliff Walker. He also had five players sitting out, three of which have Division I experience.

"I know it's one year, depending on what happens. But I like my chances," Stoglin said. "We've got some very talented kids sitting out, and I wanted to coach them. I would've hated to see another coach come in and reap the benefits of the work my staff and I have done."

I never realized Stoglin's record at JSU was so mediocre... Actually thought he has some real good years early in his career at JSU.

:redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot:
:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:
:( :( :( :(
:smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:

MH, didn't your team return 4 starters and still could not get it done?? What are they going to do next year with nothing. JSU is going to sweep you Bamanians.

Originally posted by Tigerpride
MH, didn't your team return 4 starters and still could not get it done?? What are they going to do next year with nothing. JSU is going to sweep you Bamanians.

LMAO just like you have the past 4 years. TP just admit JSU is a JOKE of a basketball team. AAMU won more games this year than JSU has won the last 2 combined. YOu havent even made it the basketball tournament the last 2 years.

TP did you say last year.... "If Stoglin doesnt win the SWAC tournament and go to the Big Dance that he will not be coaching at JSU the next season"

SMH @ JSU extending the contract of a coach with 9 wins.

JSU finished 9-19 overall this season,losing 60-56 at Alabama State in the opening round of the Southwestern Athletic Conference Tournament.
hey tp,
did you read that part??????

btw,at least stoggy didn't give up <font size=5>61</font> points to ASU, like JW did!!!!
:lol: :lol:

SAME TIRED AZZ JSTATE PEOPLE, GIVING THE SAME TIRED AZZ PREDICTIONS.......
"WE'RE GONNA BEAT YOU IN FOOTBALL," YALL SAID: NO!!!

"WE'RE GONNA BEAT YOU IN BASKETBALL," YALL SAID: NO AGAIN.........

THE ONLY SWEEPING THAT WILL BE GOING ON WILL BE ALL OF YOUR COACHES BEING SWEPT OUT OF JOBS, AT THE HANDS OF THE HORNETS......THEN HUGHES AND STOGLIN CAN COME BE OUR OFFICIAL UNIVERSITY JOCK-WASHERS!!!!

DaHill, I am probably certain that I said that and I do believe that the administration is simply giving him benefit of the doubt. You don't know, I don't know, no one knows what would have happened if we had all of our players. I can tell you this, because of you scrubs, Stoglin will be getting a multi-year contract this time next year.

Bama State's football team scored more points on JSU than JSU's basketball team scored on ASU's basketball team. :eek2: :eek2:
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :D :D :D :D :D

Originally posted by Tigerpride
I can tell you this, because of you scrubs, Stoglin will be getting a multi-year contract this time next year.

So...let me get this straight:

Because we continue to beat y'all down TWICE every year, Stoglin will be getting a multi-year deal???
icon18.gif

Tarzan....your "logic" continues to amaze me. :lol:

Originally posted by HORNETSWARM
Bama State's football team scored more points on JSU than JSU's basketball team scored on ASU's basketball team. :eek2: :eek2:
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :D :D :D :D :D

So did JSU's football team...

:rolleyes:

Checking the Tiger Club Roster for donations

No GR
No Robber
No Raway
No Battlecat
No JSUII
No Member of Huntsville Chapter
No JST
No J-State