Jsu; historical treasure

J-State2DaPoint

"Eye Of The Tiger"
JACKSON STATE's HISTORICAL TREASURE

JSU raises profile of research center
Elizabeth Crisp • elizabeth.crisp@clarionledger.com • August 17, 2009

Nestled deep inside Ayer Hall - the oldest building on Jackson State University's campus - are historical treasures that give insight into African-American life in Mississippi.
Yellowed photos that show black business owners and their stores at the turn of the century.
Hand-written journals that detail the life of poet and writer Margaret Walker Alexander.
A rare recorded interview that features Piney Woods School founder Laurence Jones, who died in 1975.

The collection of artifacts, recordings and manuscripts are part of the Margaret Walker Alexander National Research Center, but it's likely that their existence is not widely known.

The center's new director, Richland native Robby Luckett, wants to change that. "Too few people know we're here and what we are doing," he said. "I want to get as many people here as possible."

Luckett became director last month. The post had been vacant for a year.
Enthusiasm pours out of him as he talks about a collection from retired Murrah High School art teacher Paul Campbell, old photos of the Alcorn State University campus, an album of Alexander reading her poetry and reels of decades-old audio tape featuring prominent black Mississippians.

"We have these great things, but it doesn't do us any good to hoard them," Luckett said.
Mary Coleman, associate dean in the College of Liberal Arts, said she thinks Luckett's hire is a "perfect transition" for the center.
"Every leadership transition provides a chance to re-evaluate the position and see what can be done," she said. "The passion that he brings to the center as the new director and to his scholarly teaching will prove contagious."

With his slightly tousled, light brown hair and black-frame glasses, the 32-year-old Yale University graduate knows he doesn't look the part of a civil rights buff at a historically black university. But he feels right at home.

"I can't imagine doing anything else," he said. "This is a forever job for me."
He recently obtained his doctorate from the University of Georgia, where he focused his studies on the civil rights movement in Mississippi.
"I always knew I wanted to come back to Mississippi," said Luckett, whose parents raised him while taking in 13 foster children of different races. "Through it all, I've had a connection to this place - Mississippi has always been a part of me."

In addition to leading the center, he'll teach African-American history at JSU - a position he says he'll use to lure more students into the research center. "My students will definitely be coming here," he said with a laugh.
Beyond his own students, Luckett said he wants to get the word out to researchers from across the country.

"We are a national research center, and we should be seen that way," he said. "Anyone who has an interest in the history and culture of African Americans should consider us a resource." Coleman agrees.
"If you think about the combination of the direction JSU is heading and the treasure trove (housed in the Margaret Walker Alexander Center), the potential is clearly evident," she said.
In addition to support from Jackson State, the center also has obtained grants from non-profit organizations like the Ford Foundation and the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Read More @ http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090817/NEWS/908170324/JSU-raises-profile-of-research-center

Last edited:
yale.jpg

mus.jpg

So the director of this & the Dr. Margaret Walker Center is white?
and the head of African American Studies!!! :confused:

Last edited:
So the director of this & the Dr. Margaret Walker Center is white?
and the head of African American Studies!!! :confused:

He is the New Director of MW Center... The post had been vacant for a year. :noidea: Somebody had to Take over the position.
He will also be "Teaching" African American History.

I like his vision :tup:
I've been in there like 4 times... Whenever I'm Giving Tours or Have friends visit from other Colleges, I usually take them in there. They always seem to enjoy it.
He is working on bringing National Attention and Tourists to the Museum. I'm all for that. Its Really a NICE & EDUCATIONAL spot on campus! (like NT said)

He is the New Director of MW Center... The post had been vacant for a year. :noidea: Somebody had to Take over the position.
He will also be "Teaching" African American History.

I like his vision :tup:
I've been in there like 4 times... Whenever I'm Giving Tours or Have friends visit from other Colleges, I usually take them in there. They always seem to enjoy it.
He is working on bringing National Attention and Tourists to the Museum. I'm all for that. Its Really a NICE & EDUCATIONAL spot on campus! (like NT said)

What happen to Dr. Harrison?
IMO Dr. Gene Young would've been good for that.

What happen to Dr. Harrison?
IMO Dr. Gene Young would've been good for that.

I'm not sure who Dr. Harrison is...
and you're probably more than Correct about Dr. Gene being Great for the Position (But Dr. Young probably wasn't interested, considering it was Open for a yr.)
The new guys says he love it here at JSU and he seems amped up about the Center (and he is all about getting more students in there to visit and drawing in more funds to make the Center Nationally Known.) so hey, I'm behind him 100%
The guy has a passion for what he is doing and thats enough for me. Him being white and a Yale/Univ. of GA graudate means nothing really.

and the man is YOUNG.. he is 32 :tup:

and you're probably more than Correct about Dr. Gene being Great for the Position (But Dr. Young probably wasn't interested, considering it was Open for a yr.)
The new guys says he love it here at JSU and he seems amped up about the Center (and he is all about getting more students in there to visit and drawing in more funds to make the Center Nationally Known.) so hey, I'm behind him 100%
The guy has a passion for what he is doing and thats enough for me. Him being white and a Yale/Univ. of GA graudate means nothing really.

I believe Doc. Harrison was the director of the MW Center,
but if the guy is doing a good job then great :tup:

I was at JSU from 1999-2003 and only went in there once.......and it was on my own. It's good to see The University doing more to promote it. JSU put a lot of money into it a while back, adding a third floor and all. It is definitely the best kept secret on campus.

I was at JSU from 1999-2003 and only went in there once.......and it was on my own. It's good to see The University doing more to promote it. JSU put a lot of money into it a while back, adding a third floor and all. It is definitely the best kept secret on campus. :tup:

Its actually 4 floors. the 4th 1st floor is somewhat under ground (front of is not exposed, but the rear is exposed) You enter the building on the 2nd floor.
The 4th floor was replaced (due to the fire) but I'm sure you knew that already.
I'm just glad JSU didn't tear that building down! (You know we'll tear and rebuild in a second :lol:)
I drove on campus a few weeks ago and saw Cranes swinging left and right.
Its like 4 construction projects going on right now.

I like his enthusiasm but being that it is director position and it was open for a year, the pay may not be that great. For a 32 yr old coming out of grad school, I am sure the pay was GREAT for him. I look forward to going in there. I have never been since they remodeled it.

Has anyone been in Ayer Hall recently? I keep forgetting to stop in.

My friend and I took a tour of it in May. There was a lot of great information, photographs, and displays. I was very impressed with the wooden door on display which was taken from the Natchez Seminary and the old dorm room on the 2nd floor. :tup:

Back