JSU football signee Leroy Hawkins killed in Dallas

No doubt that this was a tragedy for everyone involved, but as the parent of an 18-year old who just graduated from high school, I have to ask...respectfully...why is a 17-year old kid allowed to be hanging out in the heart of downtown Dallas after midnight on a weekday?

I know...there are all kinds of socioeconomic reason for this, and I'm sure as hell ain't victim blaming, but still...

No doubt that this was a tragedy for everyone involved, but as the parent of an 18-year old who just graduated from high school, I have to ask...respectfully...why is a 17-year old kid allowed to be hanging out in the heart of downtown Dallas after midnight on a weekday?

I know...there are all kinds of socioeconomic reason for this, and I'm sure as hell ain't victim blaming, but still...
I've been thinking the same thing about this scenario all morning....A teenager sitting in a car with another dude.. in a parking lot.. after Midnight... in a big city.....nothing good can come from this. My condolences to his Family.

It's not victim blaming. He can't control who drives the car if he's the passenger. The West End & Deep Ellum being open that late. They were also near a hotel. Probably at a party at the hotel.

As black men this violence is hurting us so terribly. We have to watch out for cops and even other blacks.

But when we try to have that talk about black killing blacks-folks (MAINLY US) want to STFU and shame folks about it.
But you can't BLEEP with DATA. We see who it is. Yet can't talk about it or try to do something about it-because folks want to CHERRY pick who gets to do what or who gets praise.

It's a metroplex norm w/ teenage kids. If not downtown, it would be deep ellum. If not deep ellum, south dallas. If not south dallas, it would be in oak cliff somewhere.

Those kids, from the 40+ areas/suburban areas, LOVE to congregate around each other. If you want to really see it in motion, go to MLK blvd in south dallas on a Sunday evening post 5-6pm. It's very eye-opening.

The way the principal from Desoto was talking at that vigil, the call of the streets was too strong for him to overcome.

It's not just a metroplex norm with teenage kids. It's a commonality all over the country.

Right. Teenage kids congregate but that deal in the metroplex is a totally differing animal. I've never seen a mixx of kids from so many differing backgrounds before. They are all drawn to each other (suburban "buppies" to the hood-types to the gangster types). When younger, it was intriguing to be in that mixx witnessing how all of them relate each other. (college days)

I truly believe that university dorms should stay open year around because of mess like this. Understandably this young man was a freshman but I have spoken with a number of athletes who hate going home because of the violence.

It’s sad.

That would not make much of a difference, they will bring the guns and stuff to campus. A lot of these guys are drug dealers and users on their spare time which normally always has a terrible ending. A lot of our young black men grew up with poor examples of manhood and mothers who didn't raise them correctly

This is a hit campaign against the Dallas Police Chief who is a Grambling alumna. Some loud voices want her out but it's on some bull. She's doing a great job and 8 murders over a week for a city with over a 1 million people hardly screams major disorder or "The Purge"

Racism and sexism is at play here for sure ... the last police chief was a Hispanic lesbian so I think the woman of color boat has officially sailed with many law enforcement insiders in Dallas which I never really liked. Something about Dallas just reeks of white privilage and good 'ole white boys, something Houston never gave me as much

Ain't shit a police chief can do to stop someone from killing another person. Other than take the bullet herself.

Name one city in America where a police chief's job performance isn't measured by crime stats. Just like a Chief is rewarded when there is reductuon in the crime rate. Its the nature of the beast. The buck always stops somewhere.

Kenn having lived in a metro city with a metro system used to see kids all over all times of the night. I’m like damn where are your parents?

To me it’s a parenting thing more than a socioeconomic thing. I know parents who are well off allow their kids to be out after midnight.

Name one city in America where a police chief's job performance isn't measured by crime stats. Just like a Chief is rewarded when there is reductuon in the crime rate. Its the nature of the beast. The buck always stops somewhere.
I didn't say the job wasn't measured by that. I'm saying he/she cannot stop murders.

She is taking the heat as any leader would because we are in the middle of an increase in crime. However, the city is down hundreds of police officers. This was a big issue last city council meeting. Hate she is at the head right now during this "crime wave". Also, for the record, she is the first female Dallas Police Chief. Not sure who the Hispanic female you all are referencing. Hall's predecessor was David Brown. He was respected and had a high approval rating, especially after the shooting downtown.

She is taking the heat as any leader would because we are in the middle of an increase in crime. However, the city is down hundreds of police officers. This was a big issue last city council meeting. Hate she is at the head right now during this "crime wave". Also, for the record, she is the first female Dallas Police Chief. Not sure who the Hispanic female you all are referencing. Hall's predecessor was David Brown. He was respected and had a high approval rating, especially after the shooting downtown.

Yeah, he's got it confused with Lupe Valdez from the Dallas County Sheriff's office. And you're right, we're down hundreds of officers. For a city this size, they're WAY undermanned.

Yep that's what i was thinking.

I see why my parents were hard as hell on me. Me out after 8 was a no no for me unless it was a school function, or they knew the parents of the people who were throwing a party. My parents didn't play that.

Thank You

Back