Job Issues

MsJag4Jag

What would you, in your professional mind, recommend to a person who is not happy in the current job situation? For instance, a person may make decent money in a particular job/field, but is not gaining in self fulfillment. Where can one find an aptitude test or some type of test that will allow career exploration? Where do you start?

Originally posted by Ms. Jag4Jag
Where can one find an aptitude test or some type of test that will allow career exploration? Where do you start?

The Self-Directed Search (SDS) is a great and one of the most popular interest inventories. The SDS guides the examinee through an evaluation of their abilitites and interestes. It is mainly used for high school and college students, as well as adults returning to the work force to find occupations that best fit their interests and abilitites.

After the examinee completes the SDS, they use the Occupational Finder which lists up to 1,600 of the most common occupations. The occupations are coded by letter to indicate which of Holland's (the author of the inventory) personality types they represent: realistic, investigative, artisitic, social, enterprising, or conventional.

I'm trying to think where you can get your hands on a copy. I used to have one from undergrad, but who knows where that thing is now.

Those are just my suggestions.

I just found a link to the inventorie's site <a href="http://www.self-directed-search.com" target="_blank">http://www.self-directed-search.com</a>

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
J4J:

For a minute...I thought you were directing this thread at ME! :eek:;)

SDS, huh? Interesting...

Ditto to what J4J had sed

Yeah, thanks Tara.

I'm in this job hunt/career change mode myself.

Interesting idea, but you'll be hardpressed to find a common interest that this group would be willing to pursue (other than maybe real estate). :p

And not to mention other "intangibles"...;)

Well whatever we do, Nita is our advertising EDITOR!

I don't know about that! :eek:

She'd probably just piss the consumers off with ad lines like:

"We have the best products on the market.
If you don't buy them, you can kiss my azz!
Better yet...I don't give a dayum if you like them or not, cuz we STILL go'n do our thing!"

;)

Better Business Bureau...send help! :D

But actually...

If any of you were to attempt to start a business, what types of enterprises would you be interested in???

Ntelekt!

You already know my ideas and you got the plans drawn up. I just want us to have an all you can eat night set up with it! :D

Whensenever, I get enough cheese.... We need to snatch up that spot on University! ;)

Mike:

That spot was scooped up when I first inquired about it!:(

I STILL don't see them doing anything with it yet. :mad:

Some ideas that are interesting are:

Jazz Cafe
Sports Bar
HBCU Store (a REAL one...that has LARGE variety from ALL the HBCU athletics)
Graphics Design Business

What about.....

The spot down closed to Madison Square where the Shoney's closed? :(

I haven't seen any construction over there, so far as I know....I may still be available.

Enterprises for moi:

1. Insurance Company
2. Real Estate Agency
3. Just thought this one up this morning : "Cleaning Contractor"... my job will be to gain contracts for libraries, public schools etc.. office buildings that get cleaned at night.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
It's a damn shame...

...but I still don't really know what I wanna do yet.:(

Somebody pray for me.:confused:

Enterprises for moi:

3. Just thought this one up this morning : "Cleaning Contractor"... my job will be to gain contracts for libraries, public schools etc.. office buildings that get cleaned at night.

I feel you with that one! :D

Gettin' paid without doing any of the "dirty work"! ;)

N-TEL...

I feel ya on the Sports Bar. Especially one "WE" are catered to in. Black college sports on the big screens, HBCU pennants and banners (Not a Roll Tide or War Eagle in sight), and souvenirs.

But ya gotta have NASCAR on one screen. :D

Some pool tables, the good ones, not the coin-operated ones. Personally, I like "The Rack" on University. Maybe a place with feel like that.

Back