Jim Brown Criticizes Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, other Black Athletes

Deuce

Conscientious objector

Ex-NFL star Brown: Today's black athletes should do more
Posted: Tuesday April 09, 2002 3:43 PM

Jim Brown was ordered to serve a 180-day sentence for misdemeanor vandalism after he refused a judge's order to attend counseling sessions and perform community service.

Simon Bruty

NEW YORK (CNNSI.com) -- Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown, whose life after football has been devoted to grass-roots activism, says Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan and others among the current generation of black athletes aren't doing nearly enough to help improve life in the black community.

"Money has changed today's black athletes," Brown said in an interview in this week's issue of Sports Illustrated. "Those who have the ability as African men to bring a change in a community that so desperately needs it are concentrating only on their own careers, some charities and how much money they can make."

The 66-year-old Brown, who used his nine years with the NFL's Cleveland Browns and a subsequent Hollywood acting career as a platform to address racial issues, told SI's Don Yaeger that he was disappointed by most of today's black athletes.

"Michael Jordan would be one. Charles [Barkley] is talking about issues, but I don't think Charles is in touch with the community," Brown said. "They're all nice guys now -- don't misunderstand me. But they have the ears of the general public, they have the money, and they could call together 100 black athletes and solve so many problems in these inner cities, it would be unbelievable."

SI's Frank Deford
Curiously, despite all the tawdry, personal controversy that Jim Brown has been involved in with women, his reputation as a spokesman for more profound issues has never been damaged. In a way, it is the sort of bifurcation that always marked Bill Clinton's career.

Brown is a serious person. He has always been in the forefront of racial matters. Indeed, he and Bill Russell were the first two prominent
black athletes to speak up, and that they did so at the very height of their careers cost them dearly. But Brown has never been obsequient to popularity, and he is consistent.

His criticism of younger black athletes has long been a regular part of his discourse, to the point where he has himself been criticized for being behind the times, out of touch. But at a time when other blacks so often praise their best athletes without much qualification, Brown is a thoughtful, contrasting voice to listen to.

Reminded that Tiger Woods has a foundation that provides disadvantaged black youngsters with golfing opportunities, Brown scoffed. "Can I tell you something? Everybody does good things, but I'm talking about making major changes in the educational system that would impact an entire race. I'm talking about stopping these young gang members from killing one another. I'm talking about keeping prisons from overflowing," he said.

"I'm not talking about teaching black kids to golf and get to country clubs. Come on! That's wonderful to do, but Tiger makes enough money that he could change many more things that are important to black kids than learning to golf."

In 1967, Brown rallied other black athletes in a public show of support for Muhammad Ali, whose refusal to be drafted into the armed forces led to his being stripped of his heavyweight boxing crown. Brown also organized the Black Economic Union, which SI says helped more than 400 African-American-owned businesses in the 1960s and '70s.

Despite his efforts to reform gang members and curb inner-city violence, most news about Brown in recent years has concerned his own run-ins with the law. He, in fact, spoke to SI from the Ventura County (Calif.) Jail, where he is serving a 180-day sentence for misdemeanor vandalism. The sentence stems from a June 1999 incident in which he was convicted of smashing the windows of his wife's car with a shovel after an argument. Brown was ordered to serve time after he refused a judge's order to attend counseling sessions and perform community service.

It was the fifth time over four decades that Brown had faced assault charges against women, although the previous four were either dropped or he was acquitted after the women declined to testify.

But the former NFL star said he is trying to learn from the mistakes of his past. "I have bad anger and I'll probably continue to have bad anger. I just have to not strike out at anyone ever again. I have to be smarter than that, smarter than I was."

Well I have to agree with Jim...

He hit the nail on the head!!! The only high profile athlete that I do have respect for would be Warrick Dunn who practically gives away a home for disadvantaged mothers TWICE a year. Now that is giving back!

A consortium of not only AA athletes, but AA professionals as a whole who have amassed millions could do major works to help build the inner cities.

But there is a lot of other work that must be done, like teaching our kids to respect people and their property. I have to grimmace every time I see a brand new building or a building under renovation being vandalized. There is no respect for trying to build and renew anymore.

However, we can't give up. We have to at least try to make a difference. Just reaching out, we might not save everyone, but it may save at least one!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Originally posted by Deuce

He (Jim Brown) has always been in the forefront of racial matters. Indeed, he and Bill Russell were the first two prominent
black athletes to speak up, and that they did so at the very height of their careers cost them dearly.

To me, that is the true measure of a man (or woman). When you have the courage and the character to do what's right even when you know that you will suffer because of it, shows the kind of individual you are.

Personally, I havn't had any respect for Michael Jordan since he refused to endorse a black candidate running against JESSE HELMS for the U.S. Senate from North Carolina. When asked why he would not endorse the black candidate (who narrowly lost), Jordan's response was "Republicans buy sneakers too".

Well I will probably get run off the SWAC Page for saying this, but I don't think that the black athlete can solve any of our problems. I mean, they can shout from the highest mountain, and spend every dime they have trying to solve the problem that we as a people face. But until we, as individuals, decide to change the way we do things it will all be for naught. I understand what Jim Brown is saying, but I think, well, I just disagree with him. Just my opinion folks.

I agree with you TSU/Bama. I can't stand Jim Brown. He is a hypocrite. He beats black women yet he talks about what Jordan and Tiger should do. Jordan has always said he was not getting involved in the politics. Now do I think he could do more than he does? Of course and he isn't the only one. But it isn't his responsibilty alone. He must be okay. Spike Lee is his buddy and we all know how radical Spike is. I guess he doesn't do enough either. My point is that we black folk don't do nothing ourselves, but yet point fingers at our rich black folks. It doen't take money to help your community. You can do more than the Mikes and Tiger cats can anyway. Because we are normal folks and have more time to give than most of these stars. These guys have schedules to follow and all they can do is give money and spend a little time. Then you exceptions to the rule like the David Robinson's, Alonzo Mourning's and Avery Johnson's out there who do alot. But I would rather a black child be like Mike or Tiger than be like ole Jim Brown. My Dad who I respected alot told me when I was very young that Jim Brown isn't what he appears to be. How he was a great player, but a sad brother that tried to mask his problem by trying to be pro-black. It is well documented on his woman beating and abuse. The only reason the MAN turned the other cheek was because it wasn't white women he did this stuff too. He even went off on John Thompson just because Thompson had a white agent . This was at one of those town meetings. I think Clinton hosted it. Well Jim is just a bitter self-righteous brother who has issues. Like Jackie Joyner-Kersee told him, he don't have the right to judge people on what they do and not do. He isn't there so how does he know. Plus as a black woman I am sure she was offended at Bown for even opening his mouth. BTW I forgot why Jim is jail. .................Nevermind.......he is what I call the "N" word to the highest degree. I have no respect for him whatsoever. I still remember how he didn't want Franco Harris to break his record and wasn't to thrilled about Payton doing it either. SMH@Jim Brown. He and Barkley both need to STFU.

I agree with TSU/Bama and JR. Very few people are 100% bad, therefore I give Jim Brown credit for the good that he does. However, he is not on my list of role models, and seems to always be criticizing folks that he could be edifying.

LMBH,
You are right. I guess when I do try to embrace the good Jim has done, he turns around and either says something like this or get his butt in trouble for domestic stuff. I also wonder what did Brown do when he was playing ball. Except try to run behind the man in Hollywood for a role in a movie. Jim likes the attention he gets. Kind of like Barkley. He isn't on my role model list either. The role models are guys like the Mailman in DC that coaches Pop Warner ball and takes time out his schedule and from his family to help inner city youths on and off the field, plus takes money out of his pocket to buy uniforms and stuff. Now that's a role model. His story was on Real Sports a few months ago. What he is doing is more helpful than some star coming by every once in a while. That's why I had issue with him criticizing John Thompson for not having a black agent. I was like Thompson has done more for young black men than you have with less star power, so how dare he criticize Thompson for having David Falk as an agent. He just finds fault in everybody but himself.

I agree with yall 100%. We as everyday people can do a lot more for our people. Jim Brown has done some positive things but it seems like the negative over shadows those things. We as everyday people can do more in our community, but what do we do? look the other way and say, it aint me. We need to get out of this mind set. Before we try to criticize someone else we must look at ourselves first and ask, What I'm I doing to help? One thing I like about Barkley is who he speaks his mind even though he say a lot of stupid stuff. But he still not afraid to talk. But both of them will not be my chioce for a role model. A lot of athletes and black leaders are afraid to talk publicaly about the problem and stuff.

The point is not Jim Brown!

I think you folks are missing this. It is not about role models. I don't believe in but role model (and if you don't know bout that ONE, hit me up on a PM). I am saying that the alternative to doing nothing is doing something. If we can't help one, then what is our purpose in life?

To whom much is given, much is required....

That is the bottom line. We tend to ask the "major" players for major contributions and the "generally concerned" for donations. That's just the way it is.

I've been doing this for 9 years now. A 501(c)3 organization that in short, receives most of its funding from those folks who shell out the $10 and $20 from time to time with most funds coming from concessions.

I'm telling you, that these folks (AA professionals) know of what we are trying to accomplish and you still get the "ol shuffle foot".

From this group of kids we can boast promoting Chris Duhon (Duke) and Torris Bright (LSU). You think anyone from any HBCU has even heeded invitations to the tournament championships? I ain't even going there....

Back to Jim Brown,...not the most admired brother, but one that can capture an audience because "he is who he is...a HOF'er". I am not saying save the world, but stop doing silly isht like spending $2.5M on a bedroom to show everyone you got BLING, BLING! $2.5M???? Aww hellllllll, they probably don't sleep in the dayum bedroom.

Help some dayum body!!!

Re: The point is not Jim Brown!

Originally posted by Jaguar Diehard

I think you folks are missing this.

Thank you J.D. ! ! !

I have been sitting here shaking my head while reading all of these posts lambasting Jim Brown. You guys have been concentrating on the "messenger" and not the "message".

Yes, Jim Brown has done some DUMB things, but that does not make his points any less valid. We all know that Tiger and Jordan can't save the world, and nobody is asking them to. But for Jordan to not support a black candidate running against JESSE HELMS because "Republicans buy sneakers too", to me is inexcusable.

Thank GOD Dr. King and Rosa Parks didn't have Nike shoe contracts. SMH.

Like I said in my post, before you point the finger at Jordan or any one else, point the finger at yourselve and say, what do I do for the black community? I never downed Jim Brown and his message, the negativity in his life(messenger) outshines his message.

I went back and re-read my original post. And nowhere in that post did I lambast "the messenger" (Jim Brown). I simply stated that I disagreed with his "message." I said it once and I will say it again, the black professional athletes cannot solve the problems in the black community. I don't care how much money they spend and how much they address the issues that the black community face. Most of the problems in our community have to be solved by you and I (ordinary every day people). These "superstars" are not the answer to our problems, my friends. I mean, what do yall want these athletes to do?

AND BESIDES, MOST OF THESE PRO ATHLETES HAVE THEIR OWN DAYUM PROBLEMS!! (Don't yall read the news)

But anyway, just my opinion folks.

I couldn't have said it better TSU/BAMA. And I did lambast Jim Brown. I just don't respect the brother period. He has done more than just some Dumb things. He is OJ all over again except its with our own sisters instead of white women. What kind of message is he sending our youth with his current and past situations. To be defiant to the LAW. We already have plenty of that going on in the hood. SMH. While l understand that he has done some good things. His message is watered down because of his hypocricy and his attacks on other Blacks for what they have not done. We don't need to point fingers at the celebs to make things happen in our community. It is not all on them
We are the role models, because we present a realistic view and hope to our young people, not these athletes and other celebs. We need to volunteer and be mentors and positve influences in our communities. It is OUR responsibility not just MJ's or the Tiger Woods of the world. Yes they need to do their part too, but one of the problems in the black community is that they(the kids) want to be the next Jim Brown or MJ instead of trying to be the next teacher, lawyer, doctor, dentist, engineer, or minister. Professions that help shape our communities. It is unbelievable to me to hear many black kids think they can be the next AI or Kobe and turn around and say to you I can't be an engineer or a teacher or whatever else. Now that's a real issue. We have glorified these folks too much. That's why I volunteer my time as much as possible.
To get the message of hope out there and not depend on some big name to do it. Sometimes they send the wrong message anyway. Just my opinion.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I agree JR. And you are absolutely right when you said: Sometimes these athletes send the wrong message anyway.

Jim Brown is a bitter old man.
John Wooden(sp) is a bitter old man.
Everything should be the way it was back in the old days.
We carried drinking water up hill.... and we liked it too.

Jim Brown has his points, but maybe people listen if he stopped throwing women thru windows.

You hit the nail on the head GR. I wasn't going to even mention
that he threw a woman out of a window. He is bitter. I don't know why since it was his decision to retire after 9 years. I know folks think he's the greatest, but I still would like to see him run over these bigger and faster cats now instead of all those slow white boys he played against. Then want to get mad because somebody broke his record. SMH.

Since I was around back in the day when he played, I give Jim Brown his props as a great ball player and don't question if he could have done the same thing if he were just starting out. However, just as great as he was as a ball player, he was equally as caustic in his attitude about people, which years ago, were Blacks, beginning with his first wife, and how she didn't "grow" along with him, or others and their poor grammar. I think most know of his reputation for domestic abuse.

I can appreciate the good that Jim Brown has done for the causes that he holds dear. But, I can't appreciate the harsh assessments that he makes on his fellow brothers. We also have to realize that many people make great contributions while remaining anonymous. One could point a finger at a Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods, for example, but we don't really know what either one actually does or not, which could be more than Mr. Brown could ever imagine.

JR
I could write a thesis on whether or not Jim Brown is the great running back everybody claims him to be. Hell he was good because he was the only damn ATHLETE on the field. He played in an era when they only allowed 1 black athlete per team (if that team was in the north).

The same goes for Bill Russel too. Can you imagine Bill Russel 6'9" 200 lbs trying to check Shaq or even Alonzo for that matter? My momma can reject the shot of some Jew. These guys were the best of their time because black the number of black players you were allowed to have were limited. Jim Brown would get crushed today.

GR,
Do the reverse, take Shaq or Zo for that matter and put THEM back in era of Bill Russel. A time of open racism, a time when sport medicine was just a band-aid, weight training was not so advanced. Don't take the athelete from the 60's and say could he compete in year 2000. No, of course not. He probably couldn't compete on the high school level of todays players.

But take the 2000 athelete and put them in the 60's. Playing in those old converse sneakers, with a wood back-boad, game based on smarts and not talent, RACISM, LOW PAY, etc. How would Shaq's BIG-TOE hold on then?

I think we all can make a difference in the community. But the profile athelete can make a bigger difference other than worrying about some kid to buy their dayum shoe.

Back